Anti-AV 14?

Aegnor

Played my first game with new DAs on the weekend vs my brother with Imperial Guard at 2000 points. He ran a pair of Leman Russ Punishers and a pair of Leman Russ Demolishers, backed up a with a pair of Hydras and a couple of loaded up Chimeras.

I know I was too light on for anti heavy tank, but given how he deployed, really struggled to get anything other than front on shots on the Leman Russes and they stomped me.

For anti tank, I had a Nephilim with TLLC, a Ravenwing squad with a guy with a melta gun, a Devestator squad with 2x Missile launchers (with flakk, was expecting Valkyries) and 2x Plasma Cannons, and two squads of Death Wing with a guy with a chainfist.

The whole game was a comedy of errors on my part and I can see lots of what I did wrong, but not really sure what the most effective answer to all those Leman Russ parked side-by-side would be. Welcome any suggestions.

(PS - Nephilims really don't like Hydras.)

Well...a devastator squad with four lascannons is only 220 (that's like 30% less than before!!!) points now, that's a start.  DSing with belial an inch from his tanks prevents them from shooting at his squad, and the next turn, they can charge with chain fists.  Typhoons are pretty good at getting side shots on those tanks.  Land Raiders don't fear pieplates...well, maybe the demolisher...but it's only AP2, so a hit only has a 1/9 chance to cause you to explode, 1/27 with the deathwing upgrade.  Then there's the old standby ravenwing squadron with meltas...gotta dodge pieplates, but they do get a 3+ cover save when they're not shooting (turbo boost).

Plenty of ways to handle enemy armor!

Spam Missiles, Spam Lascannons, Spam Meltas (assault squads), Spam Chainfists (Terminator Deep-Strike). And take at least two AV groups. If one gets nailed, you're out of luck.

If you have plenty of tactical squads, give them all Missile launchers, for example. if they have position to take an opportune shot, take it; they then have lots more touble killing all your anti-AV14.

of course, you will need to glance them to death.

Ravenwing squad with 3 bikes, 2 meltaguns, multimelta attack bike. Put them in reserves and outflank them. 155 points in total. Should force your opponent to cluster his armour towards the centre of his deployment area or face the prospect of being melta'd in side or rear armour on turn 2. This, in turn, will give you a better chance of racing fast anti-tank, such as Typhoon speeders down the flanks of the table to get side shots, or deep striking melta speeders onto the flanks.

Ravenwing squad with 3 bikes, 2 meltaguns, multimelta attack bike. Put them in reserves and outflank them. 155 points in total. Should force your opponent to cluster his armour towards the centre of his deployment area or face the prospect of being melta'd in side or rear armour on turn 2. This, in turn, will give you a better chance of racing fast anti-tank, such as Typhoon speeders down the flanks of the table to get side shots, or deep striking melta speeders onto the flanks.

That or 2x Multimelta Land Speeders Deep Striking. Though with the Land Speeders Deep Striking it will make your opponent spread out so there isn't a good landing zone for your speeders. Which is fine because you should also take what facmanpob suggests, because if he spreads out then your Ravenwing outflanking will have a better target when it comes in from reserves devil.gif

IIRC the LR-punisher is on the same chassis as the Demolisher, so AV 14/13/11, a tough nut no doubt. On top of that running them in squadrons... I'd suggest running ether DS terminators with chain fists or Thunder Hammers against the demolisher, well sending dreadnaughts against the punishers. The Punisher with out a hull las or sponson MM/PC/LC cannot hurt a dreadnaught. All of those upgrades are costly on the Russ chassis, so get the Dreadnaught into CC on them, and watch as those tanks come down fast.

Since he was running punishers you really didn't have to worry about the Pie-plates too much, only two per turn, mind you S10 AP 2, but short ranged at 24", well 30" if you account for lumbering behemoth, since there is no reason not to move and fire those things. The best thing I can suggest is getting dev squads in cover, and dumping missiles into them, and glancing them to death, I know that AV 14 and 4 HP is a monster to deal with, but it can come down, if you are firing 6 missiles a turn at the demolishers, you should get a 1 HP a turn coming off on average.

Thanks - some great suggestions there. Think I will certainly ditch the Nephilim for a melta-d up Ravenwing Squad or pair of melta land speeders, and look at swapping out Azrael in favour of Belial. (tried to DWA in a squad of Deathwing behind the Demolishers but DS-mishapped and got put on the far corner of the board).

Assault the tanks: most LRBT are AV10 on HtH...and you should be getting into combat vs IG anyway smile.png

I cannot like this enough Tanhausen!!! I did just that with an fmp mass biker outflank; thrashed that rear armour of two Basilisks, two Russes and the battle psyker sqd that he thought was going to protect them ;)

Stop trying to out shoot Guard!!! Close with the shooty guys as quickly as possible, even if you are sub optimal at assault MEQ wrecks meat-sacks and their tanks.

Archived