Two boxes of Deathwing...

march10k

So I've decided to go for a crusaderload of knights...I'll make eight, but probably usually only field seven, reserving space for a TDAIC for twinlinked smiting goodness.  That leaves two termies.  Given that my only version of Belial, the lightning claw one, is now the least yummy, I'm at least going to make my own sword of silence version out of the remains of that box...but that still leaves one termie.  Do I make a TH/SS Belial, as well?  I honestly see myself fielding only the sword version this edition, as I only fielded the claws version last edition.  Other options...I have an apothecary...do I make a halberdier?  That seems more attractive than the TH/SS Belial option....but so does a plasma cannon termie "because I can" for an objective camping squad.  Ah, the tyranny of choice!

Assuming that you occassionaly field a Deathwing command squad I think a Deathwing champion is worth assembling. Do you have any spare terminators from previous purchases - maybe an old AoBR model lying around - that you could use the plasma cannon with? Otherwise it looks like you need a third box, which will also give you another plasma cannon. Result! :tu:

Go with what Cactus said. Make the Deathwing Champion. Since you can only have one per army and you have an extra terminator it just makes sense to do that. I did the same thing with my Deathwing Terminator Box smile.png

OH and as to Belial, why not magnetize this one? I'm sure there's a thread or two on here where you can find how to do it msn-wink.gif

I used a similar approach... i bought 3 boxes of DW...

1 box i made a DW command squad using shoulder pads from FW for extra bling effect...

1 box i made 5 DWK....

1 box 1 made a sixth DWK, a belial (with magnetized arms with all the loadout options) 2 sgts and 1 regular DW

the 2 sgts go with 2 dw squads made using spare parts from the 3 DW boxes and vanilla termies i already had and the normal DW termie joined the Dv terminator squad i already had...

so i have a grand total of 30 terminators: 3x6 DW squads, 1x6 DWK squad, 1x5 DW CS, 1x magnetised belial...

BUY MORE TERMIES!!!... you have 95+ more to go smile.png

since the Deathwing is now an undeterminednumber of squads of 10...

155 Termies and need more smile.png

What he said. But for your budget pick up some Dark Vengeance termie squads and use the spare Deathwing bits on them.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Deathwing/DSCN9651.jpg

heh!

My current count is 70, mostly metal...

I wound up with three boxes thus far. 10 DWK and 5 command squadders. I need to get three more boxes of those for 15 more DWK and then a final box to make a non standard bearer and non apothecary for the command squad, to have stand ins. One body will go to make a custom Chaplain with the Lions Roar and Mace of Redemption. The other four will be 2x TH//SS, 1x Plasma Cannon // Powerfist, and 1x Heavy Flamer//fist.

I am stil going to use regular assault/tactile terminators for the rank and file of my Deathwing.

Paul

LOL...thanks for the input, a champion it is!  I currently have 37 assorted termies, including bels-withclaws, apo, TDAIC, and libby....so now it'll be 47...more than I'll ever field in a standard game, but as you say, why stop now?  I'll certainly get more over time, but with ten termies and a nephilim in the chute...it might be a while, especially since I also collect IG, Tau, sisters, empire, tomb kings, and warriors...

I'm really loving the idea of giving my opponent the choice between trying to stop a crusaderload of standard, but scoring termies, getting mauled by the knights in the process, or throwing everything at stopping the knights while leaving my scoring squad to scoop up an objective unmolested...

having been out of the hobby for a fair while, i have found myself drawn to dark angels (yet again having played them in rogue trader and on and of since starting a new army from scratch . waiting for my codex .rule book and deathwing command squad to start me of any thoughts or tips on making an interesting force of deathwing as will be a slow proc ess a box at a time and going to borrow some of the conversion ideas shown in the recent posts.

having been out of the hobby for a fair while, i have found myself drawn to dark angels (yet again having played them in rogue trader and on and of since starting a new army from scratch . waiting for my codex .rule book and deathwing command squad to start me of any thoughts or tips on making an interesting force of deathwing as will be a slow proc ess a box at a time and going to borrow some of the conversion ideas shown in the recent posts.

You may be a bit off doing this in a thread someone else started.

To answer your question,

I built the "rank and file" of my Deathwing using assault and tactile terminators. I still build non-unique guys this way. Command squad boxes are great for heavy weapons. Buy one and two assault squad boxes. Can field a command squad and two other squads with a choice of heavy weapons and a good mix of Terminator Load Outs from there. Add-on as many more bodies as you want from there.

Best,

Paul

Brother Dean, I am hereby giving you notice of my intention to steal your PC Terminator Design biggrin.png

Steal away!

Havent worked out how to change Sergeant bunny ears yet but the DW box has a great many extra bits to convert them. I built the DW box as knights and that gives me a lot of swords, Pfists and Deathwing pads, I just need more crux pads...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-40K-BITS-DARK-VENGEANCE-5x-DARK-ANGEL-DEATHWING-TERMINATORS-/310603735366?pt=Games_US&hash=item48516ce146

Brother Dean, I am hereby giving you notice of my intention to steal your PC Terminator Design biggrin.png

Steal away!

Havent worked out how to change Sergeant bunny ears yet but the DW box has a great many extra bits to convert them. I built the DW box as knights and that gives me a lot of swords, Pfists and Deathwing pads, I just need more crux pads...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-40K-BITS-DARK-VENGEANCE-5x-DARK-ANGEL-DEATHWING-TERMINATORS-/310603735366?pt=Games_US&hash=item48516ce146

Well you could always convert him to TH/SS like so

http://i.imgur.com/Z8kCnm.jpg

But that would mean you'd have to find a SS lying around pinch.gif

Why does the plasma cannon terminator have a pile of brass underneath him? Given the positioning I'm hoping it's supposed to be brass.ermm.gif

Cause I havent swapped the base yet with a bolter termie...

Elphilo... I have one of those hammers here somewhere.... But I am more interested in messing with the pose and the bunny ears...

Hmmm....I've just discovered five thundernators in bare plastic that I threw together unpainted for Ard Boyz a couple years ago...MOAR FODDER!!!!  Okay, so now one's gonna be a banna wava...one plasma cannoneer for that "because I can and you can't" moment when playing against C:UM...I really don't need more thunderhammers or stormshields...so maybe three stock tactical terminators.  Why?  The only ones I have are metal, I haven't made a SB/PF termie since 3rd edition!  That'll let me have a squad of three tacticals, a heavy weapon, and a thundernator challenge monkey sergeant, woohoo!

/edit/  And that doesn't count the untouched sprue in the DV box...I'm positively swimming in (20) termies that need painting...on top of the ~30 that are table-ready.

LOL....well, maybe us and the space pups? They did have their own molds, too!

Here's my Belial WIP. I started work on the arms tonight, and the head is nearly finished...he (his face) looks like Palpatine, I swear it before the Lion!

gallery_13203_846_910364.jpg

All those comments above have me thinking: We DA nuts must be the only ones to field a ton (litteraly) of metal terminators still.

LOL....well, maybe us and the space pups?  They did have their own molds, too!

I have 55 metal including my Standard bearer that I am not re-doing.  And my wolfbrother has between 35 and 50 metal.  It's the cost of having our minis in single blisters...  "I feel the need to buy something today,  Ooo...  I can use another termie..."

All those comments above have me thinking: We DA nuts must be the only ones to field a ton (litteraly) of metal terminators still.

>>LOL....well, maybe us and the space pups? They did have their own molds, too!

I have 55 metal including my Standard bearer that I am not re-doing. And my wolfbrother has between 35 and 50 metal. It's the cost of having our minis in single blisters... "I feel the need to buy something today, Ooo... I can use another termie..."

I found them locally and since they were old models I decided to grab them for the collections shake. Not the least they had DA iconography mind you.

Then I waltz and the casier tells me since they are old as dirt and nobody playes DA these days (4th edition codex hur!) have a 20% tongue.png

Win Win! got a 5 man squad now. Now that I think of it they are the only 'standard' terminator models I own. My plastics are a mix of GK normal and DA bits.

Archived