Storm Eagle or Allied Storm Raven?

Upstartes

So, I've got this mostly-assembled Storm Raven. Although I was looking forward to DA fliers and love the idea and look of the Nephilim, I don't think I can bring myself to spend $70+ and 180 points on it. But I do want a flier. So I'm looking at this raven on my shelf...

The question is: should I field it as an allied storm raven, or break it down a bit and convert it to a storm eagle? I see the pros & cons like this (ignoring the modeling concerns):

1. Allied Raven:

* Pro - GW/Codex-legal. Tournament-friendly

* Pro - The raven itself, if not overloaded with options, has a very reasonable points cost for all it does

* Pro - That turreted weapon sure is nice

* Con - The ally "tax": the raven + allied HQ & troop unit will cost more than a storm eagle

* Con - Diluting the army: part 2 of the "tax". The points I spend on that HQ and troop choice could (I feel) be better spent on DA units that better complement the rest of the list.

2. Storm Eagle:

* Pro - no ally tax.

* Pro - extra HP and can carry lots of deathwing

* Pro - cheaper than raven + troops + HQ: more points left over for DA units

* Pro - get to field a pure DA force, which appeals to my fluffy side

* Con - Forgeworld unit, with all the baggage that brings. Not legal for some tournaments.

* Con - Unit itself puts a ton of points in one basket, especially if outfitted with TLLCs, which makes the most sense for providing anti-air support.

Are there any pros/cons that I'm missing? Anyone have any additional thoughts?

Storm Eagle is basically two Nephiliams strapped together with a pair of whirlwinds taped on top, and good transport capacity to boot.

Adding it up, separately it would cost 500 at DA prices... for 300 points.

Even at SM prices it would be above 400.

Its expensive, but for a heavy gunship, its a bargain. Toss in a 70 point 5 man tactical squad to strap hang until turn 5 objective grabbing....

Modeling wise it is a pain in the @#$@#$@#

I'm agree with most of the posters, and say go with the Storm Eagle. It has so much more going for it plus it looks awesome, and if you're a fluff player, I would go with the rule of awesome. However, if you really want a Storm Raven for tournament play, I haven't seen a rule saying that your allied detachment Ultramarines had to be painted blue. whistlingW.gif

The common loadout for the Storm Eagle would put it at 300 pts (TL lascannons and multi-melta).  At the same time, a Storm Raven with an allied HQ and a troops choice would come out to about the same if not more (as you said).  Here's an idea: if its not too late, pick up the Storm Raven extension kit from Chapterhouse (http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=85_78&product_id=200) and assemble it that way.  Comes out to cheaper than buying an actual SE from Forgeworld, and due to how it would look afterword, you could play it as either.

I've been running an eagle recently, and its great. The thing to remember is that it's always worth buying some extra guns. Lascannons have the most kick, but cost the most points. I've found it most useful as a gunship, but you can also fill it with something brutal like terminators to use as a sledgehammer. I'd take the eagle over the raven every time, purely because the model is much better looking.

Archived