Pedro Sternguard Drop Pod list Viable?

gmaleron

Hello fellow Marine players! As many of you know I am currently constructing an Elysian Drop troops army following an Air Cav/Air Assault theme. However I have decided a little while ago to break my power armor ban and to put together a drop pod marine army as it is something that has always interested me. Now I have put together a list (which will either be themed after a Black Dragons or Raptors army) which can be found here:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/271462-1750pt-raptors-drop-pod-list/

Basically my question is this: Is a Sternguard heavy drop pod army still viable in this edition? And if so what are some example competitive army lists that work with this theme in mind? Thanks again guys! 

It could actually be more viable this edition if you think about it. Sternguard are great at tackling infantry, and 6th Ed has reduced in the amount of vehicles you'll see across the table from you. With the appropriate use and application of resources, you could cripple your opponent more easily than in the past and then dominate the game, all on the first drop.

Of course, there are likely better builds, but if used well this could be a very viable option.

Yes viable, especially with some added support.  Your meta has IG manticores dropping pie on you all the time?  The sternguard pod is an app for that. Also, in 5th it was stated that if your opponent had an all-pod list you could just reserve everything and so on...but now that is not allowed.  Break out some counts as pods for about 9 pods, and give a game a go...let us know how it went...

Archived