Order of upgrades

Boniface

As far i can there has never been a definitive rule suggesting how/what order you must perform upgrades. This seems to open up some possibilities or at least it seem. please feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

It seems that Tactical squads can take 2 heavy and 1 special weapon.

• "If the squad numbers less than ten models, one Space Marine may replace his boltgun with either a special or heavy weapon from the list, right."
  • "If the squad numbers ten models, one Space Marine may replace his boltgun with a special weapon, and one Space Marine may replace his boltgun with a heavy weapon from the list, right."
As there is nothing that says you must take the upgrades in the order they appear it seems you can get a 70 point tactical squad, get a weapon add 5 more guys and get 2 more weapons. Is this possible?

The same appears to be true for things like Apothecaries which state you can trade your bolt pistol. So can you trade your chainsword and take other upgrades that aren't permitted to an apothecary before upgrading, or does an apothecary count as a veteran.

Things like this raise questions in my mind. I don't deliberately want to come across as trying to bend rules or anything but it does seem legit.

I find it weird to suggest that an apothecary isn't actually a veteran even though he started off as one and he has been 'upgraded' ergo made better.

These are just two examples i noted. I just think they seem possible.

I personally don't see this as bending the rules or cheating as you are allowed to do anything that is written in the codex unless these contradict the over-aching rules of the BRB. (although i recall something about the Codex always being over-riding).

So am I allowed, as it is written, to perform any upgrade that is explicitly stated provided i meet the criteria to do so?

So no terminator bikes as they blatantly contradict each other.

Upgrades don't stack.

In your first example, your finished squad will number 10, so you can take the options for a full squad.

And the Apothecary example. Once you choose to upgrade a Vet to an Apoth, the Apoth's stats/wargear  is the new base, and any equipment the codex says he has replaces his Vet gear

The Apothecary example is a little fuzzier than the Tactical Squad one, but in the absence of a specific FAQ ruling it's safer not to try and play it that way.  Personally I'm of the mind that upgrades that don't affect the wargear should be allowed (so in the case of, say, a Deathwing Command Squad Apothecary, he'd be able to replace his Storm Bolter, carry a Standard, or take a Cyclone Missile Launcher, just not do anything that would affect his Power Fist), but even when it is addressed by other FAQs it's not consistent...  the Ork FAQ specifically states that you MAY do upgrades in an order of your choice to get a certain loadout (Nob in a unit of Boyz), yet also prevent s a Painboy from taking SOME of the ugrades allowed to the rest of a Nobz mob. 

Archived