-multimelta

-extra armor (optional)

Techmarine

-PF generator

5x servitors

Techmarine

1x servitor

Techmarine

530-540 points depending on whether you take extra armor.

All three techmarines go with the unit of 5 servitors in the Land Raider. Due to a little loophole in the codex, we can take a unit of servitors for each techmarine and a techmarine for each unit of servitors, so as long as you have 1 HQ, this unit only takes up 1 heavy support slot. In addition, each techmarine will repair the land raider on a 1+ due to the servitors. This means that your opponent will have to either a) remove all 4 hull points in 1 turn or b) outright destroy it, which is even harder due to DW Vehicle. The lone servitor can sit in a corner and hide.

The best land raider for this is probably the redeemer as it won't have to worry about driving into the middle of your opponent's army unless he's packing a LOT of chainfists. Also, a good addition to this would be a solo combat beast like belial or a loaded out chaplain/company master to charge out and bash faces when you get near a squishy target. Because you WILL get near a squishy target.

Some math:

Missile Launchers:

x * 2/3 * 1/6 * 1/2 = 4

x * 1/18 = 4

x = 72 missile launcher shots on average to wreck it, and if they fail, you repair all the hull points

Melta Guns (within 6"):

x = s + s

s * 2/3 * 26/36 * 1/2 = 4

s * 13/54 = 4

s = 216/13

x = 424 or ~8.3 melta gun shots to either explode or wreck it, so not invincible, but on the other hand plasma can't scratch it

A codex land raider isn't worth devoting 200 points to repairing it, especially as it's lost the ability to deliver Deathwing or company veterans into the enemy lines. You can almost afford a second land raider.

It might be worth doing with a Spartan but I would leave the servitors outside (maybe with plasma cannons?) so all the techmarines can join whatever squad is being carried.

However I wouldn't do it because I believe it's a loophole rather than an intended feature, it's a bit silly, and I'd rather spend my points on something interesting.

Also even though there are enough serrvitors to get a 1+ save, rolls of 1 always fail according to the BRB. Fun idea though.

Are you referring to the rule on page 7? That explicitly only applies to characteristic tests.

Yeah, I'd like to see you send an email to GW asking to FAQ the techmarine's repair rule. 

"Q: does the rule of 'rolling a 1 is always a failed result' apply to a techmarines repair roll when he has enough servitors to pass on a 1+? it is not a characteristic test after all"

"A: who the heck are you and why are you trying to torture your friends like this, just play the darn game and have fun."

There is no loophole, I would probably only take 2 techmarines, if there are 2 regular HQ's, and the servitor squad,  being able to repair 2 damage/hp per turn should be enough, and only claiming to repair on a 2+.   You only need a servo harness and 2 servitors to make it a 2+, or just 3 servitors, so I dunno why you wanted to get 5 in the first unit to begin with, since 4 servitors would be enough to make it 1+ if it did work on 1+.

As for the loophole, my interpretation is based on:

"For every HQ choice in your army you may take a techmarine (minus techmarines and command squads)"

"servitor squad. They do not take up a force organisation slot." If they don't take up a force org slot, how are they an HQ choice? Granted the 'other'  non force org slot choices, techmarines, and command squads, specify which units don't count for taking more of them, but I don't think it was something they were required to state, because they do state an HQ choice is required, and all of these squads say they don't take up HQ force org slots, which to me means they are not HQ choices.

That would be quite the problem to face, haha. deathwing command squad with LR Dedicated transport,  3 heavy support dreads with tac squads inside maybe? With the librarian you could probably fit that in under 1850,  definately 2000 with a techmarine and librarian.

Just in regards to the roll of a one always failing, that's not true. For example, a s10 weapon shooting av10 is always going to pen, even if you roll a 1. The "auto fail/ auto pass" is only in regards to characteristic tests. Even charge rolls of double ones will get you in charge range if you are 1" away from the enemy unit.

One? Not enough.

3-4 LRC, standard of devastation, librarian with power field. Now that's scary.

Actually, I wrote a list like that. It seems I'm sort of obsessed w/ land raiders. wink.png

1500 pts:

HQ:

Librarian (divination)
Command Squad
Standard of Devastation
Techmarine
servo harness
Power Field Generator
Troops:
Tactical Squad
9 men
Tactical Squad
9 men
Scout Squad
camo cloaks
sniper rifles
Heavy
LR Crusader
DW vehicle
LR Crusader
DW vehicle
LR Crusader
DW vehicle
The Techmarine rides w/ the command squad and the librarian goes with a tactical for a little extra survivability. The scout squad squats on a backfield objective, hopefully in a piece of terrain bolstered by the techmarine. All 3 raiders move up the field in formation and shoot things up. near the end of the game, the tactical raiders rush for objectives. The best part of this list is that to get rid of the 4++ and standard, the opponent has to kill the center 'raider first, but the techmarine is inside repairing it. Also, the 3 'raiders combined put out enough rounds to kill 43 GEQ out of cover, 11 MEQ, or 5 TEQ a turn, not counting the assault cannons.

Also even though there are enough serrvitors to get a 1+ save, rolls of 1 always fail according to the BRB. Fun idea though.

Are you referring to the rule on page 7? That explicitly only applies to characteristic tests.

Ah well chalk it up to one more assumption i must through out the window. Thanks for the correction.

Archived