Some general questions regarding DA.

Sidguard

Greetings and salutations, fellow Dark Angels players! I'm a newish Dark Angel player who's been convinced to join B&C due to much higher posting quality and what seems like a great community I hope this post isn't out of place, but I have some questions regarding some of our units and their use.

1. Is there any reason to use a chaplain over a librarian, aside from fluffy reasons? It seems like a level 1 divination libby is both cheaper, and provides rerolls on shooting as well! The only cool way I've thought to use a chaplain is shroud + the artifact mace + bike, and use it to hug terrain and gut a backline.

2. Is mech spam a viable DA tactic, perhaps mixed with greenwing? I've seen posts on the forum about using the PFG on a land raider, or having a clump of land raiders. However, could we not also use say, 2 rifleman dreads (2 autos) around a razorback with the POF/techpriest inside? I think the 4++ would be more valuble on these squishier targets.

3. If I'm correct, the general consensus on the forum seems to be the BoD works on hurricane bolters and bolters, and NOT on the likes of storm bolters, bolt pistols etc. Yes/no?

4. Speaking of rifleman dreads, how does it work if they get into melee? On the same kind of idea, I'm assuming a DW apothecary strikes with a CCW, is the dread the same? And why is double auto taken over assault cannon/auto? Also this is more a general rules question, but in assault do grenades hit from the front or the back?

5. Can our land speeders take double heavy flamer? If so, would it be viable to deepstrike 2-3 and torch a unit?

6. The LSV seems overpriced. For such a short range, and a high cost, and a low durability, it seems poor. Yes/No?

7. While I have encountered some decent DA tutorials, I can't seem to get my red or green right on my Deathwing, using GW paints. Any recommendations for doing it, using GW paints?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and I hope this wasn't out of place.

Greetings and salutations, fellow Dark Angels players! I'm a newish Dark Angel player who's been convinced to join B&C due to much higher posting quality and what seems like a great community I hope this post isn't out of place, but I have some questions regarding some of our units and their use.

1. Is there any reason to use a chaplain over a librarian, aside from fluffy reasons? It seems like a level 1 divination libby is both cheaper, and provides rerolls on shooting as well! The only cool way I've thought to use a chaplain is shroud + the artifact mace + bike, and use it to hug terrain and gut a backline.

2. Is mech spam a viable DA tactic, perhaps mixed with greenwing? I've seen posts on the forum about using the PFG on a land raider, or having a clump of land raiders. However, could we not also use say, 2 rifleman dreads (2 autos) around a razorback with the POF/techpriest inside? I think the 4++ would be more valuble on these squishier targets.

3. If I'm correct, the general consensus on the forum seems to be the BoD works on hurricane bolters and bolters, and NOT on the likes of storm bolters, bolt pistols etc. Yes/no?

4. Speaking of rifleman dreads, how does it work if they get into melee? On the same kind of idea, I'm assuming a DW apothecary strikes with a CCW, is the dread the same? And why is double auto taken over assault cannon/auto? Also this is more a general rules question, but in assault do grenades hit from the front or the back?

5. Can our land speeders take double heavy flamer? If so, would it be viable to deepstrike 2-3 and torch a unit?

6. The LSV seems overpriced. For such a short range, and a high cost, and a low durability, it seems poor. Yes/No?

7. While I have encountered some decent DA tutorials, I can't seem to get my red or green right on my Deathwing, using GW paints. Any recommendations for doing it, using GW paints?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post, and I hope this wasn't out of place.

Im not much of a gamer, but ill give you my imput!

1) I'd rather have a Int. chaplin with a mace of redemption. Mainly as i dont have to risk perils, seing as my dice arent lucky ^^

2) Skipping this one..

3)Hurricane Bolters is just a bounch of bolters, so that is what i would belive. Storm bolter is another type of bolter and as such not affected.

4)Getting a shooty dread into meele is not that smart, but it still hits on normal strength....dunno, and grenades hit the front in meele, as everything else?

5)Aaand this one.

6) Its terribad, with that many plasma, it will mostly just kill itself -.-

7) Painting, wooo - for Red, i do Black primer -> Mephiston Red -> Wazdakka Red -> Bloody Red (Vallejo) Last two are highlights more or less. Green... euhm. Dammit GW only paints, i stopped using those xD

Well not alot of answers but its something!

Welcome on board!

Its hard to analyze a unit in vacuum, even more an HQ. As a general thought, libbies are more of a support unit while chappies are a CC force multiplier.

Viability is quite an iffy thing. Depends on what people tend to play in your area, the scenary, the mission...however, very few spam lists are competitive. And none of which I know are fun, neither to play nor to face.

Yes (now I feel I'm taking a test...)

(by order) Exactly like any other walker. Don't assume, read the apothecary equipment. Usually because of range. Front.

Read the codex (not handy ATM, I'd say no). Its not the role LS are thought for

None of the above: poor is a subjective term, hence no yes/no is applicable.

Priming white, thinning the paints and practice layering.

Hope it helps!

I'll provide additional thoughts on a few of these:

1. Librarian powers aren't guaranteed, and there are some units & wargear out there specifically designed to target and/or stop librarians. I play an Eldar buddy of mine, and he pretty much cripples my librarian. I think Space Wolves have something to mess with libbies too. Plus there's  leadership tests and perils of the warp. The Chap comes with a 4+ invul save that doesnt' have any weird side effects, which is something the libbie can't do. Lastly, the Interrogator Chaplain is a nastier hand-to-hand combatant than a librarian. 

2. I've seen multiple people talk about rifleman dreads hanging with a PFG tech, though mostly as a static gunline, not a mobile mechanized team. The PFG-razorback route seems like it would go better with some other rhinos or possibly predators and/or vidicators. That actually sounds like fun.

4. Dreads have a strength rating independent of any close-combat weapon. Use that stat for the attacking rifleman dread. It will, indeed, strike like a normal close combat attack. But getting smacked in the face by big cyborg swinging a tank gun can still smart. ;)

6. I haven't read of anyone really jumping to use the LSV, or raving about their success with it. It has a couple of tricks up its sleeve: deep striking, low AP pie plate; jink save (even better when paired with darkshroud). But even with that said, it's a really expensive glass cannon.

Look for my paint log "dksphinx da paint log" on painting green....if you like the way I did mine. Someone asked the formula and I posted it there. For red, I did base of khorne red washed liberally with nuln oil and reapplied highlights with some khorne red. Keeps the red dark and makes the guys not look like "Christmas trees".

Hope that helps.

Sorry, I'm on pain killers for dislocated shoulder. After drug induced coma and now that I'm thinking clearly I've included the link I talked about earlier

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/271526-dksphinx-da-paint-log/?do=findComment&comment=3309473

Archived