Successor logo origins

GlauG

So, as I work on my PTR entry for February, I find myself wondering; We know that in Successor Chapters, such as the Black Templars and Crimson Fists, the Chapter iconography is based on the personal heraldry of the Marine who became Chapter Master.  Is it therefore reasonable to have this Dreadnought:

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4117/20130223183812.jpg

Painted with the Legion DA Symbol on one shoulder, and that of the Consecrators on another?  Even if they aren't a Second Founding Chapter, I can see them having taken an icon with particular meaning from the past of Caliban and the Legion.  And as someone who's looking at having a "Modern-day-legion" themed army, with elements from the various Unforgiven Successors, it'd be cool to be able to legitimately have my Contemptor pull double duty (hence having the option for a Cyclone or a Havok launcher!).   

As always, I think the rule of cool overrides just about everything else...  So go for it!  Additionally, the new codex lends credence to the "legion" conspiracy (YAY!!!) so it wouldn't be a stretch for them to bear the iconography of their "parent" legion as well as their own.  

What I plan on doing, in fact, is simply fielding my Angels of Absolution right alongside my Dark Angels (same army/detachment just different paintjobs) and citing the "legion" fluff as my reasoning.  You could always just paint him as a Consecrator and do the same.  

On a side note - looks cool man!  How hard was it to build?  I have an irrational fear of resin...

To be fair, I have unrealised dreams of fielding a Codex Marine army where no two units are from the same Chapter also. ;)

The Contemptor is a beautiful kit, a friend of mine said it was fairly fiddly at the legs, but as I pinned mine I didn't really have any probems at all.  It's a lot easier to put together and less prone to warping than the FW Tank upgrades I have owned.  Just be sure to pin the shoulders, knees, hips and waist for support, it's actually a very solid design with no fiddly parts.  I even ran mine through with magnets at the arms, neck and upper torso.  

GlauG, I think you have done a great job on the unit and have a really cool idea on your explanation of the symbols on him. I do think it is likely that some of the chapter symbols probably do have some meaning/previous Legion use, and Consecrators would be one of the most plausible, seeing as they have the most relics, etc.

I say :tu: and run with it! :D I really love the Contemptors (and I hope the Sons of the Lion get a really cool one, because I'll be waiting that long until I can buy one), yours is a very good example of one!

I have to agree...Rule of Cool is an overriding factor. My Iron Reavers use black shoulder pads with the DA badge because in their fluff they earned the right to wear it when their chapter was formed. Rule of Cool/ Fluff > all other factors :)

Totally reasonable. The dreadnought chassis itself is likely a relic from the crusades. When the DA opened up the vaults of the Rock to supply the Consecrators, perhaps they gifted said relic to them. In homage of there origins, regardless of the Legion theme, its perfectly acceptable for successors to bear DA icons in my opinion.

Thanks for the replies, brothers. :)  EPK, I am particularly wondering about the validity of the Consecrators iconography if I want to run it alongside my Legion army, rather than the other way round (It would take a LOT of work to use DA themed parts and yet have no DA icons on Successor chapters as it is!). 

Either way, I am thinking of each logo on each shoulder, and maybe some company markings on the knees... Hm. 

Ah, I see. I think it could be rationalized as the Consecrators icon being an indicator of a specific Chapter (or "order" as AB-D wrote it) within the Legion. I'd think it makes sense to draw on their historic orders when they finally do establish it as a Chapter in the current timeline sense of the word.

So yes!

Ah, I see. I think it could be rationalized as the Consecrators icon being an indicator of a specific Chapter (or "order" as AB-D wrote it) within the Legion. I'd think it makes sense to draw on their historic orders when they finally do establish it as a Chapter in the current timeline sense of the word.

So yes!

What the gentleman above said, after all the chapters of now are the chapters of the old legion and though I think the DA didnt name them, it wouldnt be stretching it that they had some iconography of some short or earned a monicker.

Archived