What should I buy next?

Tiger9gamer

Having just played a tournament that featured no less than 6 of these beauties I can tell you not only are they fantastic models but on the table top they're so effective it borders on unfairness forcing someone to face them down. I can't comment on the majority of weapon options since I only saw the Kheres in action but I've got one with TLLC myself and it's never let me down. Make sure you pack a cyclone though, they do make a difference

All it takes to connect each arm is a pair of 0.5mm x 5mm neodymium magnets. The shoulder joint (red arrow) is indented and the arm joint (blue arrow) fits inside. As you can see in the second photo the extra 1mm thickness isn't visible. I swear they designed it with this in mind!

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/7751b1c8-f3a0-40f7-a363-1efb6dc7e5c2_zpsc01a1e75.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/Contemptor_04.jpg

For the optional cyclone missile launcher I drilled a small hole in both the launcher and the top of the hull and inserted a tiny cylindrical magnet (0.5mm x 1mm, I think) into each one. I did same with one of the iron halos from the generic terminator kit because I thought I'd need to cover the 'scar' when not using the cyclone. As it happens the magnet is so small and the hull so black that you can barely see it anyway! The iron halo still looks cool though, and that's what counts.

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/20130227_210620_zpsea47c31c.jpg

http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb440/Cactus-/20130227_210728_zps652e0b95.jpg

I would say the contemptor is not very difficult to build, unless you want to get clever with posing the legs. I found it easier than a land raider or land speeder.

The main problem I think you might find is that it's resin and not plastic.  Resin has different rules and is far less forgiving.  I would just take the cleanup slow until you know exactly how the material should be reacting.  I would be prepared for some bubble touch ups.  If a piece has badly obscured detail, let them know and they will usually replace the piece.  

Nothing on the Contemptor will be bad, but I would be prepared to do some hot water bending for Auto Cannons and Las Cannons.  

Mine just got here yesterday and I'm done cleaning two bodies, and all the Auto Cannons.  A couple of those need hot water bent yet.  The Assault Cannons are in process, about half done, and then Las Cannons are next.  

I find that I do better with cleanup on resin with a file unless the area is too small, then I resort to the Hobby Knife.  Resin is softer than plastic, so be extra careful when you scrape mold lines off, as you have to use the sharp edge at a pretty tight angle, and can easily slice more or deeper than you wanted.  

Best,

Paul

Resin is softer than plastic, so be extra careful when you scrape mold lines off, as you have to use the sharp edge at a pretty tight angle, and can easily slice more or deeper than you wanted.  

Best,

Paul

...or you might do what I did a couple of weeks ago working on a Scibor model.......slip with the hobby knife and send it straight into the side of your finger. The cut even penetrated 2mm into the side of the nail it went so deep......so yes, be careful! :)

The main problem I think you might find is that it's resin and not plastic. Resin has different rules and is far less forgiving. I would just take the cleanup slow until you know exactly how the material should be reacting. I would be prepared for some bubble touch ups. If a piece has badly obscured detail, let them know and they will usually replace the piece.

Nothing on the Contemptor will be bad, but I would be prepared to do some hot water bending for Auto Cannons and Las Cannons.

Mine just got here yesterday and I'm done cleaning two bodies, and all the Auto Cannons. A couple of those need hot water bent yet. The Assault Cannons are in process, about half done, and then Las Cannons are next.

I find that I do better with cleanup on resin with a file unless the area is too small, then I resort to the Hobby Knife. Resin is softer than plastic, so be extra careful when you scrape mold lines off, as you have to use the sharp edge at a pretty tight angle, and can easily slice more or deeper than you wanted.

Best,

Paul

Oh, alright! thanks for the heads up! yea, I need to work on model cleaning some more X-X

Resin is softer than plastic, so be extra careful when you scrape mold lines off, as you have to use the sharp edge at a pretty tight angle, and can easily slice more or deeper than you wanted.

Best,

Paul

...or you might do what I did a couple of weeks ago working on a Scibor model.......slip with the hobby knife and send it straight into the side of your finger. The cut even penetrated 2mm into the side of the nail it went so deep......so yes, be careful! smile.png

sick.gif

Best,

Paul

...or you might do what I did a couple of weeks ago working on a Scibor model.......slip with the hobby knife and send it straight into the side of your finger. The cut even penetrated 2mm into the side of the nail it went so deep......so yes, be careful! smile.png

sick.gif

It's OK now though. Once I'd staunched the flow of blood my daughter put one of her plasters (Band Aids for our cousins across the pond) on it. And as we all know, pink plasters with hearts on heal things faster than normal adult ones! :)

Putting the assualt cannon together is a bit of a pain.. Cactus had problems (above), Spikeyjames had problems and I had problems...   Problems is probibly a bit strong but none of us got the barrels in straight..

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN9629.jpg

Just test fit it really well before superglue...

I resemble that remark! I got the barrels in straight, but failed to adequately remove the mould lines. Lines that don't follow the line of the barrels, giving them a bit of a corkscrew effect. It is a bit fiddly though.

Hey...   Spiky had the same problem and if a maester has the problem, I dont feel as bad about it....

I'd stick with a Mortis, An autocannon or an Assault cannon will get off far more shots than the Hyperios but the rule of cool always wins.  What do you want?

well, the hyperios might have a smaller foot print, may be easier to hide, is cheaper, and can put out a ridiculus amount of TL krak missiles... and I heard 4 is the maximum squad size

(sorry for the head banging sprite earlier, i thought you didn't answer sweat.gif

Archived