Company Master's other 'title'?

Shiodome

A quick fluff question, sorry if this has been asked a million times (couldn't find a good fluff reference in this subforum):

Do the various Dark Angel Company commanders have the same or equivalent titles as many other chapters.  such as 'master of recruits', 'master of the fleet' etc?  If so are they linked to specific companies, i.e master of the 10th company is always 'master of recruits' and master of the 4th might always be 'master of the fleet'?

They exist and there are some other more essoteric titles such as the master of the unseen ceremony or the master of the Watchers etc.

The master of Recruits is a particullary interesting foot note, since he is a space marine but apparently he doesnt take to the field due to his advanced years (!?!?!) and he is part of the administration staff of chapter (at the Rock most likely).

Given the Circles within Circles nature of the chapter organization, I wouldn't be suprised if a single Company Master had more than one title. Suchlike, the standard codex designation for the 4th Company Master, which is "Master of the Feet", and then one or more of the more esoteric titles like "Master of the Unseen Ceremony".

(Sidenote: our ranking Techmarine Master of the Forge is instead called the Master of the Rock and is hard-wired into its essential systems. S'why we can't field him in battle.)

I'm not sure if there's any specific info on the current Dark Angel's 4th Company Master. They seem to keep them more generic than the Deathwing/Ravenwing company masters, so you can make up your own character.

The only Greenwing company masters that I know of are Orias, 3rd Company Master during the Vrakks campaign, and Balthasar, 5th Company Master depicted in th Dark Vengenace box set and novel.

In my IA all my Company Masters have titles. 

Master of the 1st – The Gallowglass – Grand Knight Master of Connacht
Master of the 2nd –The Dullahan – Grand Champion of the Hunt
Master of the 3rd – Master of the Fleet – Vengeance Blades
Master of the 4th – Master of the Arsenal
Master of the 5th – Master of the Marches
Master of the 6th – Master of the Watch
Master of the 7th – Master Victualler
Master of the 8th – Master of Uladh
Master of the 9th – Master of the Kraken – The Reapers
Master of the 10th – Master of the Recruits

Any reason why you switched the designation of the 3rd and 4th company masters, Arkley? The Master of the Fleet is by codex standards the 4th company master, and the Master of the Arsenal the 3rd. Do your Blades of Altena put a higher importance on Fleet assets?

No it just worked out that way when I was writing my IA, 

Master of the 3rd – Master of the Fleet – Vengeance Blades
Knight Commander Braden

Braden was the First Sergeant of the 3rd Company when his mentor and friend was killed during the Hunt of the Occulus, his promotion was never in doubt. He is also the chapters pre-eminent Master of Void War even his mentor was ask his for his opinion in Void War. He like all the Masters of the Chapter carries a Weapon of the Tuatha De Danaan, The Kraken Blade a 2 handed Relic Blade.

Braden's company was the first to come into contact with the Tyranids, during a battle with a Hive Tyrant Braden scored the killing blow after Revered Brother Isiah broke the creatures back with is power fist. 

Braden's personal ship is the Connacht's Pride

Braden is purely based on the Dark Angels Company Master figure :).

Master of the 4th – Master of the Arsenal - 
Knight Commander Treasach

Treasach is one of the new Masters to come into Command after the Massacre of Gaeth he has taken an Oath of Vengeance against his former brothers. He denies himself any accolades until the the last 23 traitors are dead.

A stubborn man he has come to blows with Master Lochlann when the former commented on his tactics during a recent wargame with the 5th Company it was only by the interruption by Tadghan that stopped the disagreement becoming fatal.

Tadghan could not fault Treasach the betrayal of some of his closest brothers has hit the Marine hard. But his bitterness could cause more issues later and for how long Tadghan can prevent Treasach from being stripped of command is anyones guess.

Treasach is based on the Masters of the Chapter model in MkII/MkIII Armour as it has less accolades than most Captain type figures :).

So for me it was based on miniatures, and just how I pictured each of my Masters to be, so the fluff kind of wrote itself if you get my meaning.

In my IA for my DIY chapter, the standard titles such as Master of the Fleet are reserved for non-company masters. The duties of those titled positions requires to much attention to be able to perform them, plus lead a company in battle. At least, that is my reasoning. laugh.png

In my IA for my DIY chapter, the standard titles such as Master of the Fleet are reserved for non-company masters. The duties of those titled positions requires to much attention to be able to perform them, plus lead a company in battle. At least, that is my reasoning. laugh.png

That actually makes more sense to me despite how C:SM assigns them.

In a related note, I was giving a lot of thought recently to Chapter Serfs, their own organization and how they would serve their Marine masters by overseeing the general mortal population. The way I see it, there would be high ranking Serfs to serve as adjutants to the Space Marine Masters (so perhaps Masters could still command battle companies after all). As much of the fleet is crewed and captained by Serfs, they would obviously have someone at the top - the High Admiral (of the fleet) or what have you.

Then I came up with the top most ranking serf, adjutant to Azrael himself, being titled "Steward of the Rock". Yes, ala LoTR. Seemed Knightly and still worked well with the concept of "serfdom". I figured there would be a handful of ancient and prestigious mortal families aboard the Rock that the Steward would be appointed from after probably serving another function, like High Admiral or High Constable (or General?) of the Watch (the mortal defense and police force).

Back on topic though, sorry Shiodome, I've never come across information of which masters are titled what though I like to assume they do have them though they be different names for similar or the same job.

Back on topic though, sorry Shiodome, I've never come across information of which masters are titled what though I like to assume they do have them though they be different names for similar or the same job. 

Well according to the dex they do, but who are they that is another matter.

Well according to the dex they do, but who are they that is another matter.

Oh, does it name them all? I thought it was just a few of them mentioned towards the end of a sentence as an afterthought.

I don't think Sammael would be Master of the Watch on top of his other responsibilities, but maybe. Just seems beneath him.

if there's nothing written down anywhere that's no bad thing, i can happily do as i please.  

i think i'll stick with the codex 'Master of the Fleet' as his public title, you know... the one they'd give to untrustworthy (all) outsiders.  then i can make up whatever i like as his 'inner circle' designation, will have to give that some thought.  

Given the 'master of the fleet' title, could maybe add a higher than usual number of drop pods or something to complement the theme.

My 10th Company Master is called the Keeper of Mysteries, and is actually 2nd in Command of the entire Chapter (although the role is purely non-combatant). The Keeper of Mysteries, on ascending to the position, is in charge of training the new cadre, but also keeps the vast storage and archive vaults held in the Chapter Fortress. To this end, he has full and complete knowledge of the tale of the Unforgiven. For this reason he is never to leave the Fortress lest the information he carries be lost! When the Keeper tires of his role, often after many centuries, he may nominate and train a successor from the Inner Circle, after which he may leave the Fortress to see out his last days in the Hunt.

Archived