Very short Batrep: VS Chaos

GlauG

So, this evening I had a 1500pt game with a friend planned, him with his Alpha Legion army (plus Fallen Sorcerer) and me trying out the FW Mortis Contemptor and Standard of Devastation plus Tactical Marines. He rolled the Chaos warlord trait which granted him three Infiltrating units, I rolled the DA one which allowed my Warlord to roll 3d6 for Leadership and discard the highest. He won first turn and deployed mostly in the middle of the board, I then deployed in the corner of mine on top of a hill and using some ruins to mount one Tactical Squad.

Then he deployed his Infiltrators just out of 18" away from me, hoping to bog me down with 20 cultists, and get a S9 Combi-melta shot on my Land Raider with a gift-of-mutation'd Chaos Terminator champion, and stun or kill my Whirlwind with plasma bikers.

Then I stole the initiative.

A slight roll forwards by my Land Raider Crusader put all of its weapons within range of his Lord + Chosen unit, and my Contemptor waddled towards his Dread. My Whirlwind killed 12 cultists out of the 13 it hit, my one Tactical Squad killed most of his Terminators, my LRC destroyed his Chosen and my Contemptor blew away his Hellbrute. I took potshots at his Lord with Krak missile launchers, and the second one instant-killed him, ar which point he conceded, having lost over half his army by the end of my first shooting phase... He was left with one CSM squad, his Sorcerer, two Terminators, 7 Cultists and 3 Bikers, and didn't think he would be able to kill a Deathwing Land Raider with Power Field Generator with a single combi-melta shot, single melta-bomb biker,or a lucky spell from his Sorcerer. So on the one hand, a pretty resounding success for both the Contemptor (which I had actually taken to test against a different friend's Stormtalon in a Red Scorpions army) and the Tactical salvo spam, but on the other I feel pretty bad for my friend. :/ I know this was mostly due to seizing the initiative (and so does he) but it was still pretty nasty.

Not sure if I want to try running it again next week or not...

Mine was:

Librarian (naked), Divination, Auspex

Techmarine with Power Field Generator, Auspex

Command Squad with Standard of Devastation

3x Tactical Squad with Missile Launcher and 2 with Flakk Missiles

Land Raider Crusader with Multimelta

Dark Talon

Mortis Contemptor, TL Assault Cannons, Cyclone Missile Launcher

Believe it was 1500 on the nose.

His list was something like:

Lord

Sorcerer

Chosen with assorted power weapons

Terminators (assorted Combi-weapons and Power Weapons/Claws/Fists)

CSM Squad, don't remember weapons

Bikers, 1 Plasma gun, Meltabomb Champ

20 CCW Cultists

Hellbrute (DV box loadout)

Everyone that could had a Gift of Mutation, the CSM were upgraded with "Uber-grit" AKA Bolter and BP, as well as everyone having VotLW, I believe.  It wasn't exactly an optimal list (he was saying he regretted not having transports to hide from the bolter abuse) but it looked like a fair one for pick-up-games on paper.   

I will never call it the "Dakkapole", it's demeaning and childish. <_<  And yes, thankfully I think we're still friends, right now we're discussing sculpting Primarch figures. :P    But if it had been a casual pickup game, I don't think we'd have ever played again! 

So, he deployed his Infiltrators within range of the Salvo bolters!?! Why didn't he stick them in reserve? Units with Infiltrate also get the Outflank rule if they go in reserve. He could have kept most of his army out of range of your bolters until his outflanked units came on into your backfield and started killing stuff! Then he could have charged like crazy across the gap while you were dealing with the outflankers. Madness!

Good win though :)

I'm playing against Chaos Marines tonight I think - 1850 points. I know there'll be a Daemon Prince flying around!

I will never call it the "Dakkapole", it's demeaning and childish. dry.png

Thou shalt not fusseth over thine wargear's denominations. - Gospel of Azzykins, 23:23

Okay, I lost it at Azzykins teehee.gif

So, he deployed his Infiltrators within range of the Salvo bolters!?! Why didn't he stick them in reserve? Units with Infiltrate also get the Outflank rule if they go in reserve. He could have kept most of his army out of range of your bolters until his outflanked units came on into your backfield and started killing stuff! Then he could have charged like crazy across the gap while you were dealing with the outflankers. Madness!

Good win though smile.png

I'm playing against Chaos Marines tonight I think - 1850 points. I know there'll be a Daemon Prince flying around!

The Chaos player might be new, so he doesn't understand all the infiltrator shenanigans :)

Though GaulG could tell him that now and go off against him again. See how it out then :P

Good win though smile.png

because the chaos player had the 1st turn, and was intending to move towards cover or get some firepower down to reduce return fire (or something, just guessing). it's not unreasonable to deploy aggressively if you have the first turn, seize the initiative doesn't go against you that often.

Archived