Best allrounder dreadnought load out?

Aegnor

Soo... I've got an unassembled Contemptor with just one arm (powerfist). I don't have the FW rules and the guys I play with aren't interested in laying out the $$ to get them, so will be looking at running it as a codex dread.

What do people reckon is the best allrounder fitout for a dreadnought in the DA list. I'm planning to run combos of multiple DW squads, some Ravenwing squads, a couple of land-speeders, dakka-Pred and Whirlwind. I'll most commonly be playing Imperial Guard.

Ditch the power fist and get either 2 Kheres Assault Cannons or 2 TLLC and run it as a Mortis pattern. Far superior to the standard options. 

Or if you fancy being adaptable get both options and magnetize the arms.

In terms of playing guard, the TLLC will help with the tanks although the volume of shots from the Kheres are tasty. Plus Skyfire and Interceptor when you don't move 

But as I said, my group doesn't use FW rules, so Kheres etc is out. But Twin TLLC vote is noted.

I'm contemplating Multi-melta, Powerfist and sticking him in a drop pod with a locator beacon to alphastrike some armour/guide my Deathwing in.

In a DA list there is possibly an argument for a twin pf/hf Dread with a Deathwind drop pod for clearing out blobs in cover turn one and seriously hurting an enemy firebase. On the other hand maybe Deathwing work better in the role due to the rerolls to wound with a heavy flamer on turn 1. Just food for thought. :) Personally I run a Twin Kheres Cyclone Contemptor Mortis but I am considering my codex options for a dread as well...

If you want long range firepower, you probably want to do TLLC. Whenever I tried to use the dual autocannons it's not very effective for me sad.png

I've used your multi-melta drop pod idea and it works wonders. It makes your opponent really scared and forces them to deploy defensively. It is a great alpha strike unit.

Balthamal suggested to magnetize and that's exactly what you should do. That way you can run him in different load outs for different situations.

Soo... I've got an unassembled Contemptor with just one arm (powerfist). I don't have the FW rules and the guys I play with aren't interested in laying out the $$ to get them, so will be looking at running it as a codex dread.

What do people reckon is the best allrounder fitout for a dreadnought in the DA list. I'm planning to run combos of multiple DW squads, some Ravenwing squads, a couple of land-speeders, dakka-Pred and Whirlwind. I'll most commonly be playing Imperial Guard.

Personally I'd spend the cash on aeronautica. Ditch the powerfist and get two kheres assault cannons and a missile launcher.

Although you can use it as a normal mortis dread if you use the following. But LOS wide your losing out.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/s/Smupdate.pdf

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Downloads/Product/PDF/v/vehicle6thupdates.pdf

I would recommend dual TLLC or TLAC

DM

If cost of rulebooks is really the only issue I'd say consider running it as a Mortis Dreadnought, you can get free PDFs from Forgeworld which are sufficient to do so.

Of course, I get the feeling your opponents might still refuse to play with it because I can't understand how your using Forgeworld rules costs them money anyway.

The anti-FW element is really a money thing.

Edit: plus I'm the only Marine player. Otherwise it's two Imperial guard and an Ork player, so it seems a bit unfair given they don't have the same kind of FW options.

I'm also a fan of the Multimelta/Drop Pod configuration. I ran a 2v2 tournament with my Necron friend and my Dreadnought got first blood nearly every game.

Also the Drop Pod load-out is best used with a forward-moving army (bikes/deep strike), which seems to be the way you want to play. Otherwise in more shooty, long-range lists I use a Plasma Cannon on my Dread for long-range AP2 support.

EDIT: Also the locator beacon can give you more Deep Strike variety for your Land Speeders or Terminators.

Not a man of MM configuration. If the enemy has marines to spare can create somebubble wraps and prevent the melta shot, six inches is not that far.

Another is possible melta guns or melta bombs on said bubble wrappers. More times than not I earned first blood due to dropping dreads in my lines.

Archived