Ravenwing vs. Drop Pod Assault

Landdavi

Hello Brothers,

A few posts down one of our new brothers momentarily lost hope when he saw a list of 5 drop pods loaded with lots of flamers and meltas.  

That got me thinking about the hurt  2 or 3 sternguard units in drop pods could do to a Ravenwing force.  If I am running 2 or 3 RAS as my troop choices could they take out 2 or maybe even 3 in one turn without any return fire?  If they focused on the bikes and used either AP3 special ammunition or plasma, they could do some serious damage if not destroy the units in one shooting phase.  

Which brings me to two questions.  What is the counter and how are the attack bike and speeder considered for holding objectives with the understanding that while they are purchased as troops in the force allocation they arrive as separate units?

My initial thoughts are to spread the 3 RAS across the deployment zone.  In other words, spreading 3 bike squads, 3 ABs and 3 speeders across the backfield.  Since his max impact is on turn one, we might even decide to start with the bikes in cover (not behind cover).  This gives us the best chance of our survivors having some distance between his units and then we can maneuver and mass fires per normal tactics.  

If he succeeds in wiping out the bikes and we annihilate him with the AB and speeders, can the AB still hold objectives as troop choices?  

Thanks in advance.

Even if he deepstrikes three sternguard squads equipped with combi plasma to the teeth he will need a cursed hand to wipe out even a single unit of bikers. Even more so if he deepstrikes withing rapid firing range. The bikes can move flat out to get their jinks prior to the sterguard deployment and then when he arrives rapid fire and multy charge him.

My only consearns are for the speeders really to tell you the truth.

Gents,

Thanks for the international (UK, Greece, Japan) replies.  It's amazing how we can sharpen the DA blade with input from around the globe.

The comment on moving flat out was a great reminder that the RW have two saves to choose from no matter what.  My concern was really with an opponent who gets first strike with 3   drop pods landing in turn 1, each with 20 AP 2 or AP3 shots.  If they could destroy our 3 troops, then maybe a 2,000 point army that could maneuver and seize objectives is suddenly a 1400 - 1500 point army trying to win a battle on kill points.  

That said, I am encouraged by your replies.  

I would arguably welcome the opponent wasting a sternguard deep strike on a 75 point land speeder.  That leaves us with plenty of killing power and many options to continue the game.  I've seen many comments about outflanking with the ABs but I would just as soon leave the enemy something to fear that is on the board versus might arrive the next turn.  WIth a 12 inch move and 24' MM range, I am happy to pick targets that present themselves.  

I haven't played enough yet to speak from experience. So I really appreciate the feed back.  Thanks.

Keep alpha strike armies like drop pod assault in mind during list design. Small alterations to your list to give you a favorable option to reserve deny their strike is very worthwhile. MMABs and combat squaded RAS work great for this, typhoons too. If I see 3+ pods I'll reserve my killiest units/ICs and put single units like those mentioned above in remote areas where podded troops will be worthless after killing a 55 pt bike or 80 pt combat squad. Then when reserves hit wipe them out of your DZ then advance. A cool trick that works well with this is to scout 12" as well. Their forces will really have to come in piecemeal to hit your throw aways and will be pretty far out of position a good deal of the time.

Alternately and depending on terrain (same for above) I will bubble wrap my army with my cheapest units. The concept is usually sold for chaff troops only but honestly th/ss termies/knights, speeders, attack bikes all can do this adequately. Keep in mind the width of a pod and 1" distance from enemy units means you can place these units of 1 model pretty far apart and still deny them good pod placement. And again combat squading your bikes is always a good idea against such armies, IMO. You sacrifice VPs to save resources in order to win. 

Archived