No.    Azzy is SUPREME Grand Master and is the center ring...  Grand Masters populate the nine ring circle.

No he's grand master of the legion but master of the D.A chapter itself. Hence the other company leader's should be master's not grand master's ino.

You not being okay with it doesnt change the fact that that is the way it has been since 1996...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN9673.jpg

Other companies may have Masters or Grandmasters but the commanders of the first and second company are usually counted among the Grandmasters along with Ezekial and Sapphon.

...... blink.png .... im with bro Dean on this one...

did you enjoy the book ? btw ....

mithril

Yeah it was a good read some small thing's that made me scratch my head but a good read.

You not being okay with it doesnt change the fact that that is the way it has been since 1996...

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w20/fred40k2002/Dark%20Angels/DSCN9673.jpg

Other companies may have Masters or Grandmasters but the commanders of the first and second company are usually counted among the Grandmasters along with Ezekial and Sapphon.

Wait you mean there's fluff older then what the codex author pulls out of his censored.gif .

O.K I stand corrected I won't even mention the 5th company master whistlingW.gif .

O.K I stand corrected I won't even mention the 5th company master whistlingW.gif .

Yeah well, he wasnt actually a company master, he was a Deatwing vet and a Vet sarge since they only had 4-5 squads of 5th co along for the ride... The Master was with the other component of the company. Is that what you are talking about?

Yeah well, he wasnt actually a company master, he was a Deatwing vet and a Vet sarge since they only had 4-5 squads of 5th co along for the ride... The Master was with the other component of the company. Is that what you are talking about?

Nope was more along the line's of when they talk about the 5th company master.

I'll just let it drop and thank everyone for the eduction seem's I'll have to dig deeper into the history of the legion/chapter.

The tittle is a horribly messed one in fluff,codices and books. I for one use the title grand only for Az.

To my mind it depicts the authority he has over the entire legion structure.

The rest are masters of their respective companies, in their respective chapter.

If we are given any tid bits of info that Bel and Sam have any authority on the Deathwing and Ravenwing formations of the other unforgiven (which we dont, though it does make some short of sense), I would be liable to call them grand as well.

But as is Az is the only grand(pa).

140pts....Brings back memories, damn how times have changed!

My view (after some discussion with others in the GotC successor chapter thread) is that Azzy is the Supreme GM of the whole Legion. All of the Chapter Masters of Successor Chapters are Grand Masters, as are Belial and Sammael. So in the event of the Legion mustering for war, Belial and Sammael would hold the same effective rank as the Successor Chapter Masters. This would enable Belial and Sammael to take Command of larger forces of combined 1st and 2nd companies respectively, without bucking the Command structure.

All other Company Masters are simply Masters.

Well in general all successor have a first and second company but these companies operate under the dark angel grandmasters in charge of the death wing or ravenwing. The codex does mention a time when the ravenwing was commanded by the master of the angels of vengeance second company. That being said, successor have only masters of their company, and a grand master that leads the chapter. The dark angels have the supreme grand master who is in charge of the dark angels and its successors plus a grand master of the death wing and ravenwing. So Belgian and Samuel are equal to the successor chapter masters within the inner circle because they can command all the first or second companies of the forgiven not just their chapters first and second. It's in the codex you just have to read inbetween the lines of the fluff.

Archived