Starting New Marine Army

Vivster

Fellow brothers,

I have decided to start a marine army that will use the rules of the C: SM.

I have many options and I want you guys to help me to pick what army I am going to run.

It would be helpful if you state why you chose that choice.

Thanks in advance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In no particular order

i) Salamanders

ii) Crimson Fists

iii) Imperial Fists (oh dear - painting yellow)

wow, someone else having a vote besides me!

well, My first choice would have to be the Sons of Orar. they are really underrepresented. they would look good on the table. to boot! oh, and Orars final resting place feature in the battle of the sepulchure.

I actually like an army that is cool to paint, since I prefer painting over playing - but not drastically.

however, it  does not matter how the army looks since i can just change my hq to suit my play style instead of going all 

(e..g salamanders just because melta is great)

Of the three you listed, I would say salamanders. I am a huge fan of their green color scheme, and between GW and Forgeworld, you can pick up a good amount of accessory bits for them.

I'm gonna echo some of the sentiment and throw in my vote for salamanders as well.  They are a forgiving color scheme compared to the imperial fists (yellow is a nightmare) and if you dont do it right, crimson fists can come out either really bright or really dark- and neither looks very good on the tabletop.  Also, as BKzer0 has pointed out- they have received a lot of love from companies like forge world, so personallizing your army should be a breeze.

Sons of Orar, that scheme would be really a pleasure to look at on the gaming table.

Also, if you can imagine something harder to paint than just yellow, I would suggest the Storm Lords :)

I'd say Crimson Fists. I find dark colors easier to handle, especially for long term projects. I also think they have an interesting backgrounf that involves both filthy Xenos and Imperial secret plots so, yeah they score well on the background section too... Oh and Kantor? He just rocks!

Personally I think the only thing that Fists have going for them is the (awesome) background as yellow is not only a very difficult color to get consistently right but is also waaay too bright for my liking. You can of course go down the road many gamers in these boards have gone, i.e. heavy damage and weathering - but that's also a danger if you overdo it...

Salamanders are just the wrong shade of green for me... :D

I too, like The_Chaplain, would change my vote from Salamanders to Sons of Orar. My original reason for supporting salamanders was my color preference, ease of painting, ease of conversion. since Sons or Orar are essentiall just red Ultra Marines, you will have TONS of bits at your disposal to flesh out your army. Also, red is an easy color to work with. Most red paints have a very high pigment density. I just hope you don't mind all your brushes being dyed red. (You may want to keep a second set of brushed solely for doing the white sections. Otherwise, everything will be pink.

Inspirational Image:
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o129/seamusin/RIMG0003.jpg

Archived