Help with Colors - Vallejo vs GW

Diavlo

Hi

First of all, for some time now I'm an happy owner of an Airbrush.

Therefore I wanted to check paints that can be much easier applied to airbrush than GW paints.

As the most popular and easy accessible here are paints from Vallejo I have interested in those paints.

I wanted cover fast and efficient base color on my Dark Angels. The thing is that I have already painted many and I want the same or very similar shade.

First I have checked at google "gw vallejo chart" and I found chart at dakka dakka which claims that Dark Green is equivalent for Dark Angels green or Caliban green.

The problem is that its nowhere near. When Dark Green didn't work I bought several other paints and still with no great result.

Dark green is very similar to Warpstone Glow and The closes to Caliban Green is Heavy Black Green (maybe Black Green too but I don't have that one), 

Encouraged with that comparison I have fast based 10 marines then took old Caliban Green one and they are not the same and when you look at them they look like from different chapters. Black green is more greenish where Caliban Green is more DarkGreenish.

I have tried painting BielTan green and nuln oil on those BlackGreen ones but still bad, Waywasher green did better results as the color got closer to Caliban gree, but still too matte and too greenish. Tried searching our forums, but found no answer.

HELP

I want easy to apply(to an airbrush) Caliban Green real equivalent. Brothers, anyone?

For Caliban

Army Painter Angel Green comes in similar bottles to Vallejo and might be what you need.

I have completely forgot about Army Painter, there is one shop nearby with AP products, but they have big delays when they order things. Thanks Razblood. I'll check it out

I have a bottle of VMA Olive green that seems to be pretty consistent with the old Dark Angels green. I don't actually have any Caliban green to see if there's any difference between those 2 though.

The beauty with an airbrush is though that with a black undercoat, you can pretty evenly apply a coat of green very thinly up to the point you think it's enough. Though I'm still learning how to do so myself...

There really isn't a color that is the equivalent of Caliban Green at this time. Caliban Green doesn't look like DA Green until you apply a wash or two of Waywatcher Green. Any chart saying that Caliban Green = DA Green, or even that they are close, is incorrect.

Angel Green is very close (almost imperceptible difference) to the old DA Green. Vallejo Dark Green is similar to the old DA Green when a couple of layers of paint are brushed over a black undercoat.

Edit: Actually, DAG42 said that Reaper Pine Green is almost identical to Caliban Green painted over a black base coat.

Here's my thread on the comparison of the old GW paints to the new GW paints, hopefully you can see some of the color differences.

Archived