List Schizophrenia! - Difficulty deciding on a template!

Atlantic

I'm trying to find my niche in 6th edition.  I have 3 list templates I'm working from.  I just don't know what to do with any of them!  6th has pretty well thrown me for a loop.  

In 5th I ran the following list as my template.

Codex BA

2 Jump Pack Librarians

2 Sanguinary Priests with Jump Packs and Power Weapons

3 10 man assault squads with Jump Packs, 2 Melta Guns and a powerfist.

2 - 2 attack bike squads both packing multi meltas

3 - 5 man dev squads, 4 missle launchers each.

I did really well with this list and it was fun to play!  

Unfortunately, it has not at all made the transition to 6th very well!

So I hit the drawing board again!  Unfortunately, I've learned a couple of things.

1.  The Aegis Defense Line is a very important and useful tool.  I think it is kind've an auto include at this point in the game.  The Quad Gun is quite good for what you pay for it too.

2.  Fliers are everywhere!  With that said, I got a stormraven as it might be the best flyer in the game by a wide margin.

3.  It is vitally important to have a strong alpha strike.  There is just too much crazy crap running around.  Drop Pods help to put the hurt where you need it in a hurry.

I have 3 potential templates that take these realities in mind.  I'm not set in stone on any of them.  They are each very different and built around a couple of mechanics.

List 1 - 1848 (2 Landraiders & 1 Stormraven)

Librarian

Assault Squad (10) Jump Packs, 2 Melta Guns, Power Fist
Assault Squad (5) - Melta Gun / Power Weapon - Landraider w/ Multi Melta & Searchlight
Assault Squad (5) - Melta Gun / Power Weapon - Landraider Redeemer w/ Multi Melta & Searchlight
Furioso Dread w/ Frag Cannon and Heavy Flamer in a Drop Pod
Dreadnought w/ Multi Melta in a Drop Pod
Stormraven w/ Searchlight
Dev Squad x 10 - 4 Missle Launchers
Aegis Defense Line w/ Quad Gun

The Jumpers and Raven would go in reserve.  I like the concept, but it is difficult to fit all of this in at 1850.  

List 2 - 1850 Jumpers Everywhere (I could drop one jumper squad and the bikes for a 10 man landraider squad)  This is most like my old 5th edition list.  I would probably put all of the jumpers in reserve.  I'm not really a fan of the Dev Squad manning the quad gun.  Those missles are wasted shooting at fliers.

Librarian w/ Jump Pack
Assault Squad - 2 Melta Guns / Powerfist
2 Multi Melta Attack Bikes
2 Multi Melta Attack Bikes
Stormraven

List 3 - 1850 Razobacks Ahoy

Librarian
Assault Squad (5) Melta Gun / Power Weapon - Razorback w/ Assault Cannon
Assault Squad (5) Melta Gun / Power Weapon - Razorback w/ twl Las
Assault Squad (5) Melta Gun / Power Weapon - Razorback w/ twl Las
Assault Squad (5) Melta Gun / Power Weapon - Razorback w/ LasPlas
Assault Squad (5) Melta Gun / Power Weapon - Razorback w/ LasPlas
Stormraven w/ Hurricane Bolters

Hmmm.  Ripped Dragon was going well for a while with a list 1 variant as a BA player, and it was very very good. Keeping in the bounds of what makes a Blood Angels force true to itself is good.  BA tactics really are about the assault and using their speed / fast vehicles to pull it off.  A good BA list core needs 2 things:  (1) a way to get the opponent out of their armored boxes or cover; and (2) a way to totally assault them. 

So...that said, you may have to rethink a bit and I'd recommend a base list that is centered around all those good BA things:

Librarian and Priests (cover and FNP buffs)

Death company (fluffy deathbringeres)

Stormraven (best delivery system)

Furioso with blood talons (eats hordes that have no grenades)

Assault squads (either jumpy or transported) with flamers and melta (troops)

Predator supports (outflanking nastiness or buzz saws)

[note - Lasplas razors are better then TLLC variants, and maths-wise, the TLAssC variant may even be better if you go that route - I'd drop the TLLC versions in favor of the others]

I'd forego the Aegis, as no self-respecting BA player will sit behind one when there is an assault to be had.  Leave the Aegis for gunline armies (like mine I guess), your plan is to ocupy your opponent's Aegis by turn 2 anyways...

After the core above - support units to tack on to reach the points level needed:

Lemartes (nothing better than a character that gets better when he gets wounded)

Terminators (to counter other TEQs)

Librarian Dreads with pods (to wreck the opponent's castled up vehicle parks)

Allies (you just hafta go there sometimes, the allies can man the trenches while the BAs are off doing their thing...the allies must be all about supporting or providing support to the assault).

As for allies - either generic marines (libby for making key opponents like demons reroll invulnerables) w/ terminators, tac squad, speeders OR - IG cheap plasma HQ (with astropath to support reserve rolls or master to nerf the opponents reserve rolls), plasma or melta vet squads, chimeras, vendettas, manticore(s).

Good luck and have fun! 

Hrmm

Those are all good thoughts!

I think I am going to go with list 2 and run it like so!

Librarian

Furioso w/ Frag Cannon / Heavy Flamer / Drop Pod

Assault Squad (10) Jumpers, 2 Melta Guns / Power Fist

Assault Squad (10) Jumpers, 2 Melta Guns / Power Fist

Assault Squad (10) - 2 Melta Guns / Power Weapon - Land Raider w/ Multi Melta

Stormraven

Dreadnought w/ Multi Melta - Drop Pod

Dev Squad (10) - 4 ML

Aegis Defense Line w/ Quad Gun.

I think I'm going to put the Jumpers in reserve, combat squad the Devs to man the quad gun, and leave the Librarian in the back to cast presience on my Missle Marines.

I just can't find a list I like!  I need more points.

Since only half the pods come in turn 1, why not put the Furioso or other dread with the Stormraven?  Save the pod points saved for another unit's upgrades.  Are shields allowed for your BA jumping power fists? If not, may want to re-tool them as well, like axes or other PWs and save points there too - a power sword and melta bombs might be the better option. Heck, with points saved that puts a heavy flamer on the other dread....or gets terminator armor and a shield on the libby.  Stuff like that.  Just remember that the style of play, tactically, for a BA army is all about delivering a crushing assault as fast as possible.  Heck those PF sergeants might better benefit from a PW, flamer or meltapistol plus meltabombs than the fists. Game this out:  Opponent has a rhino full of troops.  You jump on over...if you have 2 meltagun shots you might be able to pop the transport, allowing you to assault the troops.  3 melta shots is better odds by far.  If the transport is not wrecked or exploded, then you have to assault it rather than the guys inside.  So now you have to handle that.  Alternatively, you run into an opponent's foregfiend...you have to have the ability to drop it in one turn.  Run those types of tests and you'll optimize your build over time.       

Gotcha. So i need another pod unit to get both dreads in turn 1.

Or lose a dread. Hrmm

I'm too worried about the raven blowing up to put anything in it.

Archived