IA Aeronautica Hyperios Missiles

Tiger9gamer

The basic hyperios launchers shoot IIRR just one missile each.  The Whirlwind variant is twin linked AND heat seeking.  The basic variants (mounts and landraider) are just heatseeking.  Makes a difference when shooting at ground targets.  If you can pop on over to forgeworld to get the launchers and control center, they are a cheap buff to a SM army.  You could probably counts-as the castellan missile whirlwind fronts as a hyperios launcher since castellans don't exist anymore.  

Next time I order FW first thing I'm ordering is 4 missile turrets and the command platform or two. Then I can use the turrets on razorbacks as Whirlwinds and the Command Platform as Damocles Rhino - if you look closely, the radars are basically the same on the command platform and the Damocles.

Next time I order FW first thing I'm ordering is 4 missile turrets and the command platform or two. Then I can use the turrets on razorbacks as Whirlwinds and the Command Platform as Damocles Rhino - if you look closely, the radars are basically the same on the command platform and the Damocles.

Exactly the reason I got mine :)

Mathematically, they work out to be better anti air than a quad gun, which is already amongst the best anti air for the points available.  They are cheap and effective.  I probably wouldn't consider them worth it against just ground targets since they lose the twin linked (heat seeker) but they still can intercept enemy reserves and have the range to threaten quite a bit of the board.

I think they are underpriced to be honest.  I won't bother fielding them until my usual opponent starts fielding Sabers.  Then the gloves come off.

The twin linked is for ground targets, and the heat seeker for air targets. So they don't necessarily overlap.

I've been using my 3 + command platform with a fair bit of success. Like infornography, I would probably consider them slightly underpriced, but not game-breakingly so. Keep in mind that unlike sabres, they're not scoring units, and their immobility is a significant disadvantage. They're only T6 unlike most artillery, and...I'm not sure the command platform is worth it.

Here's my reasoning: if you read Split Fire, you'll note that it states that [only] one model in the unit may choose a different target from the rest of the unit. So even though all 3 launchers have the rule, only one may shoot at a different target. Is that worth losing an extra missile (and paying more to do so)? Not in my book. I've been fielding just 3 plain missile platforms and it works just fine. Haven't faced more than 2 flyers in a list so far though.

They are much more effective than the quad gun, against both ground and air targets. S8 AP3 is an order of magnitude better than S7 AP4, even if it is (possibly) less accurate.

Truth be told, I've been playing around with the TLAC mortis... and it is a beautiful sight to behold :D

Plus, I have the models and rules available while I needed to spend 100+ $$ on the hyperios >.>

Where in the rules does it say twin linked only applies to ground? I don't think it does say this at all...? As far as I can tell, the heat seeker rule is 100% redundant in the hyperios platform.

I also think the command platform is pointless. If the command platform got to keep its launcher then it would probably be worth the 10 points, but even then, I'd be tempted to save the 10 points, frankly. Generally you're not going to take down a single flier (even a flimsy one) with a single missile (against AV10, 2/24 chance of explodes, 13/24 chance of removing 1 hull point plus maybe some other damage, and 9/24 chance of doing nothing). If you're shooting against an AV11-12 flier then there's a good chance you won't be doing much overkill with 3 platforms. and if it has 3 hull points, focus firing with 4 platforms is not a bad idea by any stretch.

Granted, split fire would be of use in the occasional instance where there are 2 damaged fliers in range. Might be worth picking up for 10 points for those contexts... IF it didnt also cost you a launcher.

You're right, skeletoro - I didn't mean to imply that twin linked was only for ground units. You've stated the case much more eloquently. I suspect they added heat seeker just to be extra clear, and ended up muddying the waters a bit.

The only advantage I can see is that the command platform looks cool. What kind of AA installation doesn't have a radar dish somewhere? ;)

The only advantage I can see is that the command platform looks cool. What kind of AA installation doesn't have a radar dish somewhere? ;)

The kind that fires on its own allies because it doesn't have any way to distinguish IFF tags.

Archived