Free Drop Pod

Mantras

So a DA assault squad can swap its jump packs for a Free Drop pod at no extra cost.

Does this mean you can give it a teleport homer and weapon upgrade at no extra cost also?

I think it refers to the transport itself as a standard transport but by all accounts it should be the case that you set up your transport that you're going to take then assign it to the squad. You could try swinging it that way.

I mean, it only makes about 20 points difference, but it says may take a Drop Pod (as a transport, whichever way it is set up) at no extra cost. I'd be inclined to try :)

Give me an extra 20 points, and I'll give all my sergeants meltabombs...you might not think 20 points is so insignificant, then!  

No, you don't get free upgrades, you get a free drop pod.  And if you give them a rhino, you don't get a freedozer blade, bonus storm bolter, extra armor, and HK missile, either.  That would be 30 points of thievery, which amounts to over 1/3 of the cost of the squad!

If you think that's fine, I'll white out the 2 in the points cost of a crusader and field five mounted terminator squads in a 1850 point game....after all, it says 50 points in my copy of the codex...not the same argument, but equally valid.

Give me an extra 20 points, and I'll give all my sergeants meltabombs...you might not think 20 points is so insignificant, then!

NONONONONONONONO! Your sergeants should always carry melta bombs biggrin.png

Give me the 20 pts and Ill make them vets biggrin.png

To the OP: You get a free stock drop pod no upgrades. If it was upgraded it would be written in the notes as well.

In friendly games, I'm sure your opponent would allow you to pay for the beacon. Though it also probably means you are going to alpha strike a few drop pods in his face first turn THEN drop a few squads of terminators the following... ouch.

However, if you meant just to drop a single pod/sqaud, a smart opponent will probably take it out first thing.

And as others have said, 20 points is a little too much for free. 

To the OP: You get a free stock drop pod no upgrades. If it was upgraded it would be written in the notes as well.

LOL...well, point taken about the meltabombs...but I don't need the veteran upgrade, I have rites of battle biggrin.png in this hypothetical list...go, azzy, go!

LOL...well, point taken about the meltabombs...but I don't need the veteran upgrade, I have rites of battle biggrin.png in this hypothetical list...go, azzy, go!

But...... He is useless right? (on the other thread at least :D )

Archived