MP's dark angels thread.

Yay another dark angels thread. But hey everyone, I'm back. After a year+ or so of being away from the old b&c I got in touch with Kurg and he helped me restore my old account. I'm not using a computer, I'm doing this all on my phone. So pardon me while I figure it all out, posting pictures and what not.

I don't see any buttons here to help me post pictures but if I can figure out the old code I'll do so.

Onto the topic, I've been painting dark angels since the 3rd edition, but with other projects, like commissions.. I haven't been able to get an army done for myself. And since the 6th edition has come out and viola, dark angels are the in the spot light, I figured it's time. I want to Play so bad and right now I'm temporarily disabled, and have time to do so.

Um, so far I've primed using vallejos black surface primer, about 3 dozen marines and base coated with caliban green. Next step is to mix down some VGC Sick Green with the new vallejo airbrush thinner formula, can't wait to use this new formula. And approach them zenithal style.

Next step will be to take some biel tan green, mix it down with some tamiya x20a thinner and glaze my shadows on.

Onto the pictures.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-Yv6-eoLxsbs/UTd1zQWHIfI/AAAAAAAAANs/zD-sIAhIc9I/s1600/IMAG0027.jpg

That'll have to do till I can figure out how to link via code. I'll post a few after I've done the said above. To be continued :-)

Happy painting

Like this?

http://lh4.ggpht.com/-Yv6-eoLxsbs/UTd1zQWHIfI/AAAAAAAAANs/zD-sIAhIc9I/s1600/IMAG0027.jpg

upload your picture to something like flickr, open the image in a new tab, copy the url, open your post here and type the url between and [./img] tags (minus the period of course)

Looking good brother! I'm interested to see how they'll turn out with this airbrush you mentioned in the initial post.

My airbrushing history...

At first before miniatures, long before...I painted scale models. At the time I used an old Aztec bottom feed brush on a diaphragm compressor. I didn't want to "cheat" and blow base coats on my models so the only thing I did was prime with that old brush. Till I started getting good, about 5 years into painting miniatures, people up at the local game store in Oregon started asking me to paint their models.

I was like "sure but, Bob over here is asking for 20 imperial guardsmen."

Cool, so my first commission was 2 ultramarine tactical squads. I started then, to airbrush base coats. And to this day I still do. Minus the zenithal approach sometimes.

I remember back in the day here on this board, me and spikeyjames (is he still around?) were posting our Ultramarines left and right, giving each other tips and whatnot. Trying new things like. What if we used regal blue as a base coat... Haha.

Anyways, I still own the old Aztec, it's put away, and the diaphragm compressor died along time ago. Harbor freight I think it was... I own now, 2 Bonnie and Clyde style brushes. (at least that's what Chung has called my combo)

Badgers patriot 105 and krome. I love these 2 as if they were my own children haha. I still won't blow future or any other gloss through them. I'm still rattle canning gloss coats and occasionally brushing it on.

For a compressor I'm using a Badger Apsire Pro. I don't remember the model number. But it's the best setup I've had. I'll be happy to answer and airbrushing questions.

Example: I find that tamiya x20a acrylic thinner, or liquitex airbrushing medium the best 2 thinners for airbrushing the new GW paint line. I dial my compressor to about 10 - 15 psi and spray at about 6-8 inches away from my models. These pictures have about 3 coats with drying time an hour between each coat.

Happy Painting :-)

Recipes is as follows.

1. Prime with vallejo polyurethane black surface primer.

2. Base coat caliban green.

3. At a 90 and 45 degree angle I'll spray either warpstone green or sick green, haven't made up my mind yet.

4. Same angles except I'll add moot green to the mix and dust, feather or whatever the term is. Not to much or it'll get harsh. Or I'll just use moot green no mix, lite spray from the top down. Low psi at about 8-10 inches depending on weather.

From here I have a few options to take. But I think I'm going to airbrush the new green glaze.

5. Seal in the work with gloss then matte or satin finish.

6. Details. Bone areas like Aquillas, mix Mournfang Brown and Usthabi bone 1/1, and highlights with Usthabi Bone to screaming skull mixed 1/1. If you do it right looks pretty impressive.

7. Black areas black, either going to do metals with metallic paint or go the dark grey route. Haven't decided.

8. Purple purity seals. I'm serious. The purple contrasts great with the green.

9. Parchment/scrolls XV-88, Usthabi bone 1/1 highlight to the new off white, don't remember the name atm.

10. Line highlights on armor, moot green with a tad of warpstone, don't need to be tron angels.

So on and so forth :-)

Bah, okay downloaded the photo bucket app and let's see if it works.

Deathwing terminators, need to redo the shields.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y398/miniaturepainterbc/2012-12-07173506_zps3e421583.jpg

Test run Dark Angel, working with biel tan green, trying to get it to work without having to use black, wanted a more natural tone as a shade.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y398/miniaturepainterbc/IMAG0017_zps6e7ca0de.jpg

Plasma Squad with heavy damaged dread on the background ready to be painted, wait that squad is already ready, doh.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y398/miniaturepainterbc/2012-11-15025502_zps753c922f.jpg

I love the new caliban green, very vivid.

http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y398/miniaturepainterbc/2012-10-26184636_zps5e004e9c.jpg

Sorry to delay but due to complications with my back I haven't set down to work on my models. Tomorrow look for an update. Or later on today. I cannot set down for long periods of time like I used to. But Meh. I have built 3 extra plasma cannons and plasma guns for the squads, and that's all my body will let me do. Stay tuned.

Happy Painting :-)

Archived