GK Vindicare Assassin shield-breaker vs. DA Azrael Lion Helm

Upstartes

OK, so Azrael's Lion Helm grants a 4++ save to his entire squad.

The Vindicare's shield-breaker ammo reads: "When a wound from this round is allocated to a model, that model loses any invulnerable saves granted by items of wargear immediately, and for the rest of the battle."

Question: if Azrael gets allocated a shield-breaker wound, does the rest of his squad lose the save from the Lion Helm?

By strict RAW, it seems like the answer is "no." "...that model loses..." seems pretty clear. However, I've seen people make statements that it should nix the whole piece of wargear. In fact, the common slang for the shield-breaker seems to be "sniping wargear." However, the rule doesn't exactly read that way.

Has anyone run up against this? Anyone have opinions?

By pure RAW, you'd probably be right. RAI suggest that the item of wargear is destroyed and no-one will ever again (during that battle) benefit from it, because if Azrael's helm is destroyed, how could it generate an invulnerable save to a unit?

Tough call. I'd go with the latter because I sometimes like to think during the game, and this seems to be the most logical way.

Snorri

"The Lion Helm confers a 4+ invulnerable save to Azrael and his unit.", C:DA, pg.53

"When a wound from this round is allocated to a model, that model loses any invulnerable saves granted by items of wargear immediately,

and for the rest of the battle.", C:GK, pg.53

Seems pretty straight forward to me.  Any model receiving an Invulnerable save from the Lion Helm, which is allocated a Wound from a Shield Breaker round, will lose it.  Allocating the Wound to Azrael would not take the save away from his unit - it needs to be on a model by model basis.

On the issue of "wargear being destroyed", I would point this out: the item is not destroyed, the unit simply loses the benefit of the Invulnerable save.   Take C:SW Arjac Rockfist, for example : he has a Storm Shield which also gives him a bonus to attack when he charges.  Being hit by a Sheildbreaker round would nullify his 3+ save (and his 5+ for TDA), but he would still get +1A on the round he charges.

Archived