Command Squad

Yosef Hausakluif

I am building a command sqaud for fun more than anything else, and to also test out some tactics that I saw posted for 6th ed. by Bannus I believe, in a recent thread on command squads.

basically he recommended running the squad as follows;

1. Std. bearer w/ bolter

2. flamer

3. flamer

4. Apoth. w/ Bolter

5. Co. Champ. w/ Cmbt. Shield, Bolt Pistol and Pwr. Sword

Now that being said, what are the advantages and/or disadvatnages of running a Vet. Sgt. with bolt pistol and Power Fist INSTEAD of the Co. Champ.?

or, does it make sense to give the Std. bearer a power fist or weapon to add extra "uuumphhh" to the squad in assault mode?

What do you think?

Not a great fan of the Company Standard but I get what bannus is getting at here. It's trying to be an up close and personal attack squad with those flamers so the extra point on combat resolution is certainly not going to hurt.

The Company Champion is there because he's a cheap power weapon and can take up challenges on behalf of attending Captains. Giving him a power fist and whatever will lead to him not being a character and a loss of attacks, thus forcing your Captain to fight challenges which will weaken the offensive potential somewhat.

Not a great fan of Command squads but this one is quite good and cheap (140pts plus banner) and will do well supporting an attack with other units in a coordinated fashion. Screams out Drop Pod with at least 1 other squad coming down the same turn!

I understand this is just for fun, but what exactly is that command squad supposed to be doing? With only two flamers it's not exactly scary to anything, and with no ++ saves and only a single power sword guy (who gets singled out in challenge) it sucks in assault. 

If I was making a foot command squad just as a fun unit, I'd prolly do something like this:

Veteran - power fist,

Veteran - lightning claw x2, meltabomb

Veteran - company standard, meltabomb

Company Champ - shield & power sword

Apothecary - bolt pistol & chainsword

Comes out at 210 pts. Fun unit that can actually lay down the pain as long as the opponent doesn't have AP3 or better weapons (and if he does, you single him out with the company champ). They don't get any shooting, but with meltabombs and power fist they should be able to beat up walkers, no problem. 

Well the thought behind this command squad was partially out of no tactics actually...and what I mean by that is that it originally started out as a pure modeling opportunity and personal fluff driven excercise.

I have been building and almost all infantry Fire Angels Third company AFTER the death of their captain and one has not been selected yet by the chapter. That being said I was thinking of running the squad by itself or in a pod, or slogging on foot....they will still fight on for the good of the company even though their captain has died....way I would get around it would be to have Pedro in a stern guard squad, so I could still take a command squad

I was thinking the typical vet sgt w a bolt pistol and power fist would be fluffy as he was possible up for promotion to capt., and would fight that much harder.

I guess I you answered my question though that it makes more sense to run a co. Champ and cheaper then it does to buy a vet sgt w a power fist.

Well the thought behind this command squad was partially out of no tactics actually...and what I mean by that is that it originally started out as a pure modeling opportunity and personal fluff driven excercise.

Well, as a modelling/fluff opportunity, wouldn't it be more fun to model a command squad guy with dual lightning claws or powerfist + combiweapon, than it is to model a dude with a bolter? Don't you already have tons of bolter dudes in your sternguard/tactical squads? tongue.png

I am building a command sqaud for fun more than anything else, and to also test out some tactics that I saw posted for 6th ed. by Bannus I believe, in a recent thread on command squads.

basically he recommended running the squad as follows;

1. Std. bearer w/ bolter

2. flamer

3. flamer

4. Apoth. w/ Bolter

Now that being said, what are the advantages and/or disadvatnages of running a Vet. Sgt. with bolt pistol and Power Fist INSTEAD of the Co. Champ.?

or, does it make sense to give the Std. bearer a power fist or weapon to add extra "uuumphhh" to the squad in assault mode?

What do you think?

In my Command Squad, the Standard Bearer is equipped with a powerfist thunder hammer to give the squad a little more close combat punch.

The purpose of my Command Squad is to serve as the center of the army (where the banner will do most good) and as a reserve - but low-key enough not to be a fire-magnet. They can provide some fire support with their bolters (as all of them are equipped with one except the Champion), but can then move to support other units in a counter-assault role with their dual flamers and power weapon/powerfist and extra attacks.

I like this unit, as I think it can be very useful when used properly. My only dislike is that the standard has the CCW, and that's from a modeling prospective (I think they look awesome with a bolter outstretched to look like they are defending the flag...)

Thank you everyone for the replies and thoughtful discussion: 

Here goes what I am thinking of:

Pedro Kantor will be the HQ slot I use to be able to take a command squad; even though he will not fight alongside them and be attached to a seperate elite slot sternguard squad

That being said, the command squad, after your advice will be made up of:

1. Std. Bearer w/ Bolter and Power Fist

2. flamer

3. flamer

4. Apoth. w/ Bolter

I think this will give me a good mix of what we have been discussing here.

Yep, Chapter Masters unlock Honor Guard, not command squads. If you want a Special Character that unlocks a command squad your lookin at Lysander, Sicarius, Kassaro, Shrike. Otherwise just make a plane jane Captain for the low cost just to unlock the unit and, as has been suggested, make him you're veteran veteran sergeant. Perhaps the favored choice for next captain?

EDIT - He'stan has never been mentioned in this post, for that would be shameful...it...never...happened.

Yep, Chapter Masters unlock Honor Guard, not command squads. If you want a Special Character that unlocks a command squad your lookin at Lysander, Sicarius, Kassaro, Shrike, He'stan. Otherwise just make a plane jane Captain for the low cost just to unlock the unit and, as has been suggested, make him you're veteran veteran sergeant. Perhaps the favored choice for next captain?

Not He'stan.  He's not a captain.

Man...I have not looked at the last edition of the SM Codex in soooo long I totally forgot that.

I guess though in keeping with the back story of my modeling project, fluff, and the army then it does make sense to do the following:

(HQ) Captain; bolt pistol, power fist ' vet. vetran sgt.'

command squad,

1. Std. Bearer w/ Bolter

2. flamer

3. flamer

4. Apoth. w/ Bolter

Now that is fluffy and legal!!!

Or just use Honour Guard instead. Very fun to model with different power weapons, the banner actually does something, they have artificer armour, and can cut through infantry like a hot knife through butter.

Archived