Darkshroud - worth buying?

Upstartes

They're good, but draw a lot of fire so they die quick.

It's a nice model though. up to you.

Only 80 points in the game and useful gets a 3+ cover save when turbo boosting.

I would get one because i might want to field one.

Havent tried it because I use either LRs or razorbacks with libbys and command squad (generator included ofc) to achieve the bubble. For its points it surely is useful but if the enemy manages to get line of sight on it be prepared to loose it. It is a nice distraction unit all in all and it will save many bikers. Fear noise marines though. They will most certainly target it to get rid of it.

You could, but then you can just move the Dark Shroud 1" in the shooting phase to give it a 2+ cover save.

The real issue I see with running more than 1 Shroud is that you are taking up 2 FA slots........I want Black Knights and and a Typhoon squadron by default in my FA slots, and I wouldn't want to lose either one of those choices for a 2nd Dark Shroud.

You could, but then you can just move the Dark Shroud 1" in the shooting phase to give it a 2+ cover save.

The real issue I see with running more than 1 Shroud is that you are taking up 2 FA slots........I want Black Knights and and a Typhoon squadron by default in my FA slots, and I wouldn't want to lose either one of those choices for a 2nd Dark Shroud.

DOH!

Was thinking of a squadron (which we can't have) too much caffeine!

Maybe something you could do in large games with 2X FOC

DM

Ya the dark shroud should always have a 2+ cover not counting first turn going second. That said is it really worth the FA slot as opposed to more offensive options? idk. Im currently torn but since I have already painted a model I guess ill role with it a couple times to get a feel for its usefulness.

Honestly the main appeal of the DS for me is one, when I want to redeploy my entire force it will allow me to trade a turns firepower for 2+ cover on most of my army (BKs, RW cmd, + sammael joined to a RAS) turning these units into super fast T5 terminators. And second, since I run a more combat oriented cmd squad the +1 resolution bonus stacks with the SoDs +1 res plus any damage dealt making for a seriously nasty combat phase.  

The other thing to consider is will you be running a fast character with a PFG, whether bike, jp, mechanized what have you. If so the full 4++ will at times be equal or better than stealth and the PFG doesnt take up a FA slot.

I think that if I were to buy one, I wouldn't put the marine in the cupola. I don't mind the rest of the model, but that part just looks goofy. I'm thinking that the cupola could be converted into a lower-profile automated gun turret that would look much better.

Ya

the dark shroud should always have a 2+ cover not counting first turn

going second. That said is it really worth the FA slot as opposed to

more offensive options? idk. Im currently torn but since I have already

painted a model I guess ill role with it a couple times to get a feel

for its usefulness.

Honestly the main appeal of the DS

for me is one, when I want to redeploy my entire force it will allow me

to trade a turns firepower for 2+ cover on most of my army (BKs, RW cmd,

+ sammael joined to a RAS) turning these units into super fast

T5 terminators. And second, since I run a more combat oriented cmd squad

the +1 resolution bonus stacks with the SoDs +1 res plus any damage

dealt making for a seriously nasty combat phase.  

The

other thing to consider is will you be running a fast character with a

PFG, whether bike, jp, mechanized what have you. If so the full 4++ will

at times be equal or better than stealth and the PFG doesnt take up

a FA slot.

T5? Is that toughness 5?

EDIT N# 247287492739: Ok brain fart I get it now....

The model im using is/was my sammael in speeder. Its basically just a normal speeder with some bling from the RW upgrade sprule and sponson heavy bolters mounted to each side plus a twin linked GK gun on the front with assault cannon ammo attached (dont laugh I think it looks ok). I really dont like the actual model, at least from the pics, so as long as no one minds ill use my conversion instead.

A single DS is enough to cover my entire Ravenblob for 2++ as it turbo-boosts on Turn 1 before going their separate ways to do horrible things to the enemy. :)  I never leave home without one for a Ravenwing army. 

I think the darkshroud's a great idea...so full of flavor, even if it weren't that useful.  I'd take one in a friendly army for sure.  I'd have to playtest it before playing it in a competitive army, though.  Nevertheless, as soon as my DWKs and dark talon are painted, that's my next purchase!

Thanks brother :)  and holy.... wow that is a big difference. That aside though I dont think ill be running one of those and size is not the reason heh. Now im not really diggin the idea of my counts as either though since it could cause an issue. I'll probably either convert something else or pass on the DS.

I've been running mine as a vengance and it's seems like it's working good.  Originally I wanted to run 2 dark shrouds, (to cover eachother) but after thinking on it, the offense seems better than the defense most times and against spammed chaos dragons, pretty much worthless.  I may add them back into the mix to protect my speeder squad(s) when I get more of them.  On a math hammer note, you can add 2 powerfield generators for the price of one shoud.

LOL....but how many models can you get within 3" of a PFG?  And did you know that PFGs protect enemy models, too?  Bad idea.  Anyway, the DS is marginally useful and exceptionally cool...but the vengeance is a turd!

Well you could get 4  properly spaced out to avoid blasts, or a whole squad depending on the situation.  Also Key figures enough to absorb a statistically likely amount of armor ignoring attacks with proper placement.  It's also excellent for protecting non-bike/skimming targets without readily available cover.

No one expects the Dark Angel vengence, great for deep striking alpha strike.

Just checking if you guys think this is valid or gamey but apparently if a dark shroud were to turbo in front of a squadron of typhoons after they fire the shroud would have a 2++ cover save and the typhoons 3++ cover saves. Seems like something worth building an army around. Maybe toss a 2nd unit of typhoons in to be babysat by a PFG libby in bike unit. Heck maybe even take a few solo typhoons that could be babysat by a tech marine with PFG as well.  

Black knights could instead be taken in little suicide squads of 3 as RW cmd squads (1 for each bike mounted IC), with or without std of dakka. 6 talons average a little over 5 hits so they are still nasty effective for what you pay.

Meanwhile 9+ speeders with 3++ and 4++ saves all round could get annoying real quick.

Archived