Command Squads

Tenshi

I like the idea of Command Squads as bodyguards for my Characters, so I'd like to have a custom loadout for each character's CQ. They're the 3 from the Dark Vengeance LE box, btw.

I'm more into the hobby/fluff side of things, so I'm not looking for a killer combo. Just something that looks cool, fits with the army and
it's legal. So, I'd like your opinions on these 3 builds.

I see both the Company Master & Chaplain as frontline warriors, so their CQ should be CC focused. While the Librarian is more of a ranged fighter (with the psychic beans & stuff, right?), so his CQ shoul help him at keeping enemies at a distance.

The 3 CQs have a Champion, Standard Bearer & Apothecary because I like them. That leaves us with 2 Marines in each CQ to "customize".

For the Company Masters CQ:

- Marine with Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield. With this Marine at one side of the Company Master and the Champion at the other.

- Marine with a Flamethrower (and keeping the Chainsword) so I can meet with a smile anyone that charges at me.

For the Chaplains CQ:

- Marine with Lightning Claws (2x at 15pts each)

- Marine with Power Fist and Plasma Pistol. Because I like Power Fists. I was also thinking about changing the pistol for another CC weapon (maybe a Chain-Axe, I like them). But I don't know if it's clever having a Marine without any ranged weapon at all. Or maybe have him with a Plasma Rifle? To add some ranged power to the unit, as with the Flamethrower in the above CQ.

For the Librarian:

- Marine with Storm Bolter and Energy Axe (I think it looks menacing).

- Marine with Plasma Rifle.

So, what do you guys think about them? Do  they fit? And if I were to play with them, they aren't completely useless combinations, right?

Also, the Standard Bearers keep the Bolt Pistol and Chainsword, right? Should I change them in any of the Standar Bearers or isn't it worth it? Same with the Apothecary. Is it a good idead to change it's chainsword for some kind of ranged weapon for the Librarians CQ?

And a last question. The right shoulder pads have some kind of honour on them. Being DAs could they have the Exterminator honours, or would it be a dishonour for any Deathwing brother make him wear a basic Power Armour?

I'm from Spain, so sorry for any incorrect names (or English mistakes), as I'm translating them from the Spanish Codex.

Thanks for your help :)

I don't know about PA command squads but I've done up my Deathwing CS ready for action. Halberd of Caliban on the Champion, Apothecary, TH+SS on the guy carrying the banner (want to protect that investment), Plasma Cannon, and a guy with a SB and chainfist.

I'd disagree about the company masters...I guess in the new book, they lack Rites of Battle (so I'll be taking Azrael, thanks!), but their role in the fluff is brains, not brawn.  They need a command squad focused on command, not hacking and slashing.  longer ranged shooting is good because you don't want your commander to lose sight of the bigger picture and have his world shrink down to the 50 yard radius around him, so maybe a pair of plasma guns, obviously an apothecary and banner.  They're really there to plan the battles so that the day is won before the first drop pod hits dirt, not to inspire ballads with acts of personal valor.

I'd disagree about the company masters...I guess in the new book, they lack Rites of Battle (so I'll be taking Azrael, thanks!), but their role in the fluff is brains, not brawn. They need a command squad focused on command, not hacking and slashing. longer ranged shooting is good because you don't want your commander to lose sight of the bigger picture and have his world shrink down to the 50 yard radius around him, so maybe a pair of plasma guns, obviously an apothecary and banner. They're really there to plan the battles so that the day is won before the first drop pod hits dirt, not to inspire ballads with acts of personal valor.

Actually, if he needs to plan durring the battle he pretty much has lost it biggrin.png

He needs to respond to changing situations and go with the flaw is probably what you meant (And ironically the one thing they lost actually represented).

Also a command squad focused on CC can do exactly do that: Keep him safe while he barks orders. And apparently Azrael is Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar, because he can shoot,fight and bark orders at the same time msn-wink.gif

His most prominent order is: YOU WILL EITHER WIN OR DIE (damn grim resolve). Which also makes him kinda of a spartan.

Archived