Power Field Generator. Not So Great?

shortysl

So I'm seeing alot of love for the Power Field Generator but a thought occurs to me when I read the the entry for it; the generator grants models within 3" a 4+ invulnerable save. This is not the same as GW's typical ruling that grants units within 3" the save so long as at least one model is within range. The rule specifically states models. Are we making a mistake in thinking that the Power Field Generator is the awesome bit of kit everyone assumes it is? Have Dark Angels players been playing it wrong? Thoughts? 

More than likely a fair few people have been using it wrong and possibly cheaters lol.

The fact that it works on enemies too made me more than aware that it was the model and not units. Could end up being a burden rather than a blessing if it was units, especially against horde armies. Thats also the reason its not units because if it was it would be seriously OP for sticking libby's in the middle of blobs etc and depending on the points size you could effectively cover your whole army.

One way to really use it in your favor is to put it in a LR, Rhino, or Razorback.  Since it is an area affect, you get 3" for the vehicle.  This greatly expands your coverage. One player posted a list that ran 3 LRCs in formation.  The center LRC had a PFG. This gave all his LRCs 4++ saves.

I find it invaluable for keeping a Land Raider Crusader with the Standard of Devastation inside alive long enough to be meaningful in-game.  I also keep Missile Launcher troops and my Contemptor Dreadnought within range if I can manage it, but that's less of a hard-and-fast rule. :)  If enemy get in close enough to benefit from the field for a turn?  Drive away!

I find it odd that everyone is salivating over it as well. I haven't tried it just because of the fact that its only to models, not units, 3" around the PFG. Though I am playing a game with it later this weekend, just so I can test it out. But I'm really expecting screwing my self over and giving that crucial model I want dead a 4++. tongue.png

2 Ven Dreds loaded out with ML/TLLC and a Techmarine with Servo Harness, Power Field Generator and two servitors hanging out in the backfield shooting at everthing. Tried it in a game and worked pretty well... add a 3rd Ven Dred for more fun teehee.gif Got the idea from someone on this board.

2 Ven Dreds loaded out with ML/TLLC and a Techmarine with Servo Harness, Power Field Generator and two servitors hanging out in the backfield shooting at everthing. Tried it in a game and worked pretty well... add a 3rd Ven Dred for more fun teehee.gif Got the idea from someone on this board.

This what I was thinking of doing this with two Mortis/Riflemen Dreads. Plus the dakka pole command squad and two tact squads. The cmd squad gets 4++ to make a mean gun line with skyfire/ interceptor support.

Like to see many enemies getting close. Add fortified building for even more Lolz.

DM

One way to really use it in your favor is to put it in a LR, Rhino, or Razorback.  Since it is an area affect, you get 3" for the vehicle.  This greatly expands your coverage. One player posted a list that ran 3 LRCs in formation.  The center LRC had a PFG. This gave all his LRCs 4++ saves.

Now that's legalized expropriation of candy from babies!  I don't deny that it's legal...and damned greenskins have been doing that for ages...but...it doesn't sit well with me.  Maybe because I'm not too WAACed out to see that it's an exploitative example of poor sportsmanship.  Would I pull that stunt at Ard Boyz?  In a heartbeat.  Otherwise, no.

Now that's legalized expropriation of candy from babies!  I don't deny that it's legal...and damned greenskins have been doing that for ages...but...it doesn't sit well with me.  Maybe because I'm not too WAACed out to see that it's an exploitative example of poor sportsmanship.  Would I pull that stunt at Ard Boyz?  In a heartbeat.  Otherwise, no.

Might have been me he referenced and that was for a pretty evil tourny list, add to that 30 tac marines 6 hyperios and standard of devastation it is a lot of 24inch dice rolls, I tabled two grey knight players and nearly tabled a nid player the only one to survive with much intact was DA guard with blob of 50 with azreal which I ignored both games, I would never use it in a friendly game!

Archived