What do you miss from the previous codex?

AngelVeto

This isn't a compare the new to the old thread, just somewhere all the old timers can sit back and talk about "the good old days" that were more like the Great Depression... But we made it through and can now look back on it fondly.

Me? I miss everyone and your uncle Robert having rights of battle and fearless bikes.

There is no doubt that this codex is far superior. I love it. But there were a few things I enjoyed about our previous version.

Like scoring command squads, or termies as troops and/or elite

Wow...bitter much? 

I miss:

Fearless bikes (I'd rather have cheaper stubborn ones, of course!)

Belial being cheap enough that you could take him to unlock termies, then treat him as a pain sponge to keep your scoring termies kicking (I do like the current version better)

Rites of Battle.  My favorite HQ was a company master with nothing but a power sword.  This one makes company masters completely worthless.

Free multimeltas on my crusaders.  (I'd rather have the deathwing upgrade for 30 points than the free MM, though!)

elite scouts...at least until they took away their ability to charge off the board edge...but 80 points got you 16 MEQ-quality attacks anywhere within 12" of the edge, more than enough to glance a tank to death or swing a melee that you were losing.  The threat alone did wonders to compress the enemy to the center, where it was easier to hunt them down with a limited number of expensive terminator squads.

On balance, the last codex stank, but pretending that every last detail of this current one is vastly superior is dishonest or deluded.  If nothing else, the company master nerf is not balanced by any improvements. 

There is no doubt that this codex is far superior. I love it. But there were a few things I enjoyed about our previous version.

Like scoring command squads, or termies as troops and/or elite

This is pretty much all I miss. Though I much prefer our current codex to the last :)

Some of the Fluff was written better. The new unit entries all follow the same carbon copy style. It's really noticeable when you read them back to back. For example "It was Belial that.. and defended..." at the end of every paragraph.

The older codex had quotes like "Samuel is a true Angel of Death..."

On balance, the last codex stank, but pretending that every last detail of this current one is vastly superior is dishonest or deluded.  If nothing else, the company master nerf is not balanced by any improvements. 

Well, Ld 10 when half of your army (or more) is Fearless and the other part is L9 due to a compulsory vet sgt is not what I call a bonus...

I do recognize that it's hard to find a place/role for the company master, but I think it's the same for every SM codex. 

At least they should have limitated the Mace of Redemption to "Master only", this could have give an advantage of the Company Master over chaplain.

But this is more a comparison between entries from the same codex thant comparison between the 2 codex.

I don't miss Fearless bikes because the were Expensive and non flexible (I love fielding 4 in outflank without vet sgt waaaaay funnier)

I don't miss Belial because I prefer play a character that has a chance to do something.

For the Narthecium, that's something I don't understand but more in a GK/DA comparison... Why the hell, the GK replace the Storm Bolter and we replace the PF?... o_O

Wow...bitter much?

On balance, the last codex stank, but pretending that every last detail of this current one is vastly superior is dishonest or deluded. If nothing else, the company master nerf is not balanced by any improvements.

I guess you also miss the cap that it inflicted upon you for having min/max squads only too?

No one pretends that everything is better but when you have 100 better points pro vs 10 against, then sorry but yeah in summary every last detail is enormusly superior (or to put in slang from the 80s and those who remember the quote, you get an internet cookie GINORMOUS).

Its good to be deluded, more fun on this side cross over msn-wink.gif

Glaug...I believe I mentioned that?

It wasn't super clear from your phrasing, it made it seem like you wished that they were Stubborn and cheaper instead of the Fearless which you miss... Which they indeed are! 

Archived