What do you miss from the previous codex?

AngelVeto

No one pretends that everything is better

Nobody?  Nobody except for our moderati, you mean.  I wholeheartedly agree that this one is vastly superior, but I disagree that every tiny detail is better.  There were some small tradeoffs. 

The pip of leadership from RoB isn't that insanely significant to a fearless unit, but when you've lost combat by three, I'd say the difference between 6 and 7 is a dramatic one (no grim resolve under the old dex).  Not as dramatic as it'd be for a unit without ATSKNF, perhaps.  Unless the unit taking the test is a devastator squad in your backfield, of course.  Anyway, I do miss my 115 point (with nothing but a power sword) company master, though.  While I'll grant you that you get other benefits, like the lion helm and your pick of traits, it is a bit annoying to be forced to pay 100 points more than before for the same table-wide LD10.  Azzy is well worth the points to a power-armored army, but the option of taking a cheap master instead is something that I miss.

I stand by my affirmation. There is no particular detail about last Codex I miss. I don't miss rites of battle because I didn't use Company Masters, I don't miss fearless on bikes because losing close combats would mean losing extra bikes and etc. So no, I can't really point something I miss specially when comparing with current Codex... 

I not being dishonest or deluded, simply this current incarnation of DA makes me forget all about the old one and even it's strongpoints.It's not that the other one was totally bad without upsides but this one with it's upsides and downsides satisfies me to a point I don't even miss any upside in previous one. :)

The only thing that I see that is truly absent in the current Codex compared to the previous one is ..... wait for it .... the extreme lack of Whinging!!!! tongue.png

Wow...bitter much?

I miss:

On balance, the last codex stank, but pretending that every last detail of this current one is vastly superior is dishonest or deluded. If nothing else, the company master nerf is not balanced by any improvements.

You don't experience life in segments but as a whole so no codex should also be compared in subsections.... as a whole the current codex is a vastly superior tome that sets the tone for the Dark Angels gameplay for the foreseeable future. It rewrites and mostly expnds on history like no other codex apart from the C:AoD and keeps the background and gameplay linked quite well.

So, No i miss nothing from the 40K4 C:DA.

SG

PS: In case most people had forgotten, when the 40K4 C:DA was released there wasn't too much of whining...it all started when the 40K5 C:SM was released which upstaged and made irrelelvant or then "new" codex....ohmy.png

Yup I totally second Lucifer on this one.

Ld10 + Rites of Batlle was something I've rarely profit from. Fearless bikes was just a rapid way to prevent our bikes to flee after one loss but was a dramatic loss in H2H (disengagement is waaaaay more useful).

And if you asked me, I'd reply that the current codex have kept some bad things introduced by the previous one :

- Named 1st and 2nd companies Masters making tournies organizers sometimes refusing them (SM Generic captain on bike cannot be refused on the opposite)

- Loss of Naaman and the fluff around him.

- Loss of Blades of Reasons for chappies (though back with Asmodai)

- No more RW AB squadrons

Those are things that the bad v4 codex has created/lost and that were maintained in the current one... For those reason I still regret there was a v4 codex between the v3 leaflet and the current one

PS: In case most people had forgotten, when the 40K4 C:DA was released there wasn't too much of whining...it all started when the 40K5 C:SM was released which upstaged and made irrelelvant or then "new" codex....

Actually there did was but some toned down with the "wait cos' it's a new vision of 40k and space marines" argument... The release just showed that this argument were of no value

The sentimentality of CL finds me 100% in agreement. We should not compare droplets but the whole lakes.

That been said I hope that we dont see a repetition of the cycle with the new marine codex or else SG you will have your whinning.And it will be far more ugly than it was in 4th because half the player base jumped in the wagon.

Two words.... absolutely nothing!!!!!

Despite all the positive folks looking at the old codex as a glass half full, that codex was 5+ years of 40k-depression / opression.  The 4th/5th codex was the weakest and most dull codex out there - and this is coming from a man who branded the dark angel symbol on his arm after 2nd edition because I care for them so much!

This codex is amazing - a breath of fresh air - and I say the whole codex is an improvement.  I also like how codex chaos and demons have been harnessed in the same fashion.  Looks like they are finally making 6th edition balanced.

jmtc

Archived