Can you give a Sergeant an Assault Cannon?

I apologize if this question has already been asked. I'm about to start building a Deathwing army with the new Dark Angels codex and I was wondering if it was possible to have Sergeants running around with Assault Cannons and Power Swords. It would be nice if they could, as you would get Precision Shots with the most important weapon in your squad. But is it possible?

If the codex says "One model in the squad", then yes. If the codex says "One other model" after the Sergeant options, or if the codex says "One Deathwind Terminator" then no.

Just to confirm the codex says " one deathwing terminator"  

the sergeant technically isnt a 'deathwing terminator' but a 'Deathwing terminator sergeant' so cant take the Assault cannon or any other heavy weapon for that matter

Yes, but from a rules perspective they are two different profiles and options apply to either "any (other) model" or to a specific profile. The assault cannon is not available to the Deathwing Terminator Sergeant.

Some of the options (like lightning claws) are available to "any model," while others are only available to "one deathwing terminator."  If the sergeant could have those options, it would say "one model" not "one deathwing terminator." 

There is enough strange stuff to go around in this codex. Did anyone notice that although the box and instructions of the models show a sergeant with power sword in the Deathwing command squad, the squad consists of '5 Deathwing Terminators'. There is no option to make one of them a sarge (not that it matters, profile wise), nor is there any option to change one of the power fists to a power sword even. Thus, the squad as built on its box depicts an illegal model with its power sword armed sergeant!

Try looking at the Deathwing Terminator Squad entry in the codex on page 99 again. The Sergeant comes with a power sword. The box cover is correct.

That's not what he said. He was referring to the illustration of the Deathwing Command Squad on the box. The picture does depict a Deathwing Sergeant as part of a Deathwing Commmand Squad, which isn't possible using the Deathwing Command Squad entry in the Dark Angels codex. He's absolutely right.

Ya, I saw that right after I posted, but had to step out so couldn't edit a fix in. The Deathwing Command Squad box cover shows a Champion and a sergeant, but the kit is for Terminator squads, Command squads, and Knights squads. So they were just trying to show more options. Failure of the guys setting up the cover photo, I'd say.

Try looking at the Deathwing Terminator Squad entry in the codex on page 99 again. The Sergeant comes with a power sword. The box cover is correct.

That's not what he said. He was referring to the illustration of the Deathwing Command Squad on the box. The picture does depict a Deathwing Sergeant as part of a Deathwing Commmand Squad, which isn't possible using the Deathwing Command Squad entry in the Dark Angels codex. He's absolutely right.

The box is neither the rulebook or the codex. Using it as an example is like using a HH novel to determine how I can equip my troops.

The box is neither the rulebook or the codex. Using it as an example is like using a HH novel to determine how I can equip my troops.

True!

It doesn't do them any good to show incorrect things on their box when the rules are full enough of holes already. Also, the instructions inside the box direct you to make a Sergeant for the command squad, too. So there!

It doesn't do them any good to show incorrect things on their box when the rules are full enough of holes already. Also, the instructions inside the box direct you to make a Sergeant for the command squad, too. So there!

The Box is not the rule book or the Codex.

Do you play the game and refer to the box your Dreadnought came in or to the rule book?

If you wanted to argue that the box was printed with incorrect information that would be more correct then saying that the Box dictates the rules.

one other thing i noticed about the DW box: the sergeant and the DW champion both have the same chest piece...there is only one of those chest pieces in the kit so the squad as pictured on the front of the DW box can not be made from the contents of just one of the DW boxes...I found that a little in bad form when I noticed it.

I hardly claimed the box superior to the rules or codex. But the box is called "Deathwing Command Squad", not 'Some Deathwing Guys'. All I said was that the box picture (given the name of the set, I think it is very reasonable to assume it is supposed to be a picture of a command squad) and instructions do not match the codex; there is no way in the codex to have a Sgt. or power sword in the command squad. That is all.

Obviously, that guy with the sword in the command squad is a Company Master in terminator armor, and the team is continuing to do battle after one of the five terminators in the command squad fell to enemy fire. msn-wink.gif

Just who thought of the damn bunny ears anyway? Thats the second incarnation...

Archived