knight titan ally?

Cod

Just been reading some background material about Caliban, Knight titans, Forgeworlds etc, and wondered.

I understand that 'The Order' ruled over Caliban, but what possibility do you think any ruling 'Knight Houses' might have had knight titans on a planet in the same system or a neighbouring one?

The idea of a titan crossed my mind briefly and although not in the sense of a DA knight titan, but maybe an allied knight with IG representing the knight houses soldiers or internal guard.

Its just an idea.

Not sure about neighbouring systems, as I've always assumed that Caliban was quite isolated. However, during the Great Crusade/Heresy, I'd say it was highly likely that the First Legion would have been accompanied by Titans & Mechanicus forces. From the Heresy books, it seems that every Legion and even the majority of the larger Expedition fleets have a Titan Legio (as well as Imperial Army forces) fighting alongside them when the need arises.

In the 40K era, well, obviously Space Marines are independant of other Imperial forces at this point. However, with the Dark Angels, it's quite possible that old alliances die hard, so to speak.

I'd say go for it. One of the benefits about the DA is that things aren't as clear cut for them as it is (for example) the Ultramarines. 

They had a god machine in the Descent of Angels, to pacify the planet of....What was the name again? Anyway it doesnt matter, they had a titan (probably more).  Pre DA landing on Caliban, Caliban had no contact with the empirium or any nearby worlds, they were not sure if the earth (terra) excisted or not. Most believed it was a legend and some even believed that there was no space travel too.

As others have said its doubtful any neighbouring planets were Knight Worlds. However there is no reason that the DA couldn't have become allies with one or more Knight Households over the millenia.

Also, don't let anybody set you wrong by trying to tell you that the DA themselves have any Titans. They don't. While some people may have no respect for the background, there are still quite a few of us who do.

You want a fluffy addition, go with a Knight from a Knight World the DAs have met since the Heresy (or even during the Crusade), if you don't care about having a background accurate addition, add a (non-existant) DA Titan.

Its up to you, just don't fall into the same trap as those who try claiming unfluffy additions are anything other than what they are, unfluffy.

Well, other than the difficulty of the DA possessing one, there's the difficulty of being able to field one.

Do the DA even know what implants the Princeps, Moderatii and the Magos have/need to pilot one?

And if they do know, can they manufacture/appropriate them?

Well, other than the difficulty of the DA possessing one, there's the difficulty of being able to field one.

Do the DA even know what implants the Princeps, Moderatii and the Magos have/need to pilot one?

And if they do know, can they manufacture/appropriate them?

Not possessing one, having one attached as support to a strike force / passification fleet (pre heresy/heresy era) is the correct term. The titans are owned by the mechanicum and operated by their crews (princepts/moderati) performing support roles. They are not operated/serviced or owned by the space marines.

Fielding one is again onto the mechanicums area of operations so to speak, they operate somekind of colossal landers to send them into the surface of a planet. The logistics of moving a single titan are enormus.

To the OP: By all means paint one in DA colours if you wish Its your army after all. Its just that no chapter owns one.

The simplest thing would be to use/invent a Titan Legio which has a similar paint scheme to the DA (either pre or post heresy depending on your army). That way they look nice together on the table and nobody's fluff toes will be stepped on :)

Fluff is the justification to do something in your army. Although there are some constants that it is good not to violate them, we should all remember that our toys are ours alone therefore one can do what he wills. On the other hand we should all be reminded that doing something is one thing, trying to pose it as cannon is another.

TLDR:

Paint it pink and strap the DA loggo all over the place then write some script akin to ww2 US airplanes: DA Rule, Suck on this xenos! Rock censored.gif yeah! ETC.

Remember to have the ambulance on standby for the fluff nazis (oh look a stormtallon / a yellow bolter) before you post pics and once they are carried to hospital remind the audience thats its just for fun. But only at the end biggrin.png.

Fluff is the justification to do something in your army. Although there are some constants that it is good not to violate them, we should all remember that our toys are ours alone therefore one can do what he wills. On the other hand we should all be reminded that doing something is one thing, trying to pose it as cannon is another.

Ergo, the question is: is there a fluff-way to justify it.

For Titans, the only thing there is to use a Legiones Titanica.

Which means further problems for us, since we don't trust the AdMech, heck, we don't even trust our techmarines.

Well, unless we pull a similar trick as the Thousand Sons once did with the Canis Vertex, namely recovering a falling titan and repairing it.

Then again, what are the chances of finding a fallen titan that can be repaired without the Titan Legion owning it being nearby, and possibly attempting a recovery themselves?

Knights, on the other hand, would be more possible to maintain within the chapter, since from what I can find, it is suggested that they belong to and are maintained by the nobility of certain worlds, although with a nearby Forge World as their liege lord.

The smaller size means that it'll more easily be mistaken as a dreadnought variant as well.

Still raises the question of how we'd gotten our hands on them, though, given the lack of knight worlds near Caliban.

While the appropriation of them after the Horus Heresy is unlikely.

It'd be easier to justify a super-heavy tank in DA/Legion colours.

To say that I know would be a lie. As far as titans are concearned I know that durring the 30k era the godmachines where used as support to the varius expedition fleets. They were not attached to the legion per se but to the greater expedition force/fleet. Most of the time those where under marine/primarch justification but they were crewed and maintained by mechanicum/tech adepts (that includes the princepts btw). Nodays unless there is a crusade ongoing somewhere and for some reason a titan legion is attached to it (I think that this is a bit uncommon too) they most likely are used for defense purposes (after all the imperium is held on the defense in genaral these days) and it would be rare if not completely unheard off to have one attached permanently to a space marine chapter. I.E. A dark angels titan is unheard of. At least as far as I know.

For the knights (unless we are talking about the knight class robot, a one man pilot/hardwired walker roughly ten meters tall) I dont know much. Are we talking about those?

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110703075006/warhammer40k/images/thumb/b/bd/Knight_Paladins.jpg/90x55x2-Knight_Paladins.png

For the knights (unless we are talking about the knight class robot, a one man pilot/hardwired walker roughly ten meters tall) I dont know much. Are we talking about those?

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110703075006/warhammer40k/images/thumb/b/bd/Knight_Paladins.jpg/90x55x2-Knight_Paladins.png

Yes, yes we are.

And from what I can see, they're larger than a Contemptor, but I'm not sure by how much.

It'd mostly depend on whether the pilot resides in the head or in the body.

Without an indication either way, it'd be guessing, and my guess will be the head.

So... about 8" tall, 40k scale? A warhound is 10.5" tall.

I also have this pick but i think its from epic: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130126202644/warhammer40k/images/thumb/a/af/KnightBattle.jpg/240px-KnightBattle.jpg

They are considered to be something in between a very large vehicle (a super heavy perhaps?) and a warhound titan.

The opossing army is orks I think (epic scale models)

EDIT: I think that in 40k scale it should be around the hips of the titan pueriexdeus shows on his pic above.

EDIT2: Cannon regarding these is a bit sketchy. They are from the first editions of the game (I think its from the rogue trader era but without my books on hand I cant be sure) and since they have never been revisited it might conflict in some areas. However that gives you a lot of room for polishing in order to bring it down to your taste smile.png

EDIT3: An example of how sketchy the background is: One type of these sports a multibarelled auttocannon (think the autocannons the chaos marines mount on their dinobots) that can supposedly damage an imperator class titan...

Thanks for the ideas guys and the useful link too.

I'm back home now resting and I have a plan, to be revealed later in the year, oh and if that doesnt workout, there is also a plan b!

I also hear rumours of apocalypse later this year too, so either way if Im lucky there will be something BIG to add to my DA collection wink.png

Dreamforge Games makes a model that could easily be used as a stand in for a Knight Titan.  If only there were some decent rules out there for it.  Recently it was converted into being a Plastic Kit, and it's a really nice model.  Needs a few more weapon options in my opinion.

Best,

Paul

Archived