Power axe or Powerfist?

Tulkas

Okay, I've been looking at this for a while now, and I cannot figure out why one would take a Power Axe over a powerfist. Since both strike at I1, wouldn't is just make more sense to go for the double strength instead of the increase offered by the axe? I mean a power axe looks cool and all that, and I like the idea of different power weapons in this version of the game, but this just does not work for me. I must be overlooking something obvious (the usual).

Please explain this to me if you can.

Regards,

Tulkas.

This isn't an Official Rules question, this is a tactics question, so it's being moved.

However, as Idaho said, the axe has its merits. In the duellist HQ build, or on Tactical Sergeants, it can be the superior option.

On combat characters like wolf lords, chaos lords, bike captains, etc. power fist is always better as they get more attacks at higher WS + their high number of wounds means they'll usually live long enough to swing it. 

On gray hunters, sergeants, librarians, etc. it all depends on preference, but power axe is usually better as you want to keep those dudes cheap. 

I like axes over power fists because I can save 10pts in a direct points comparison, and if the power fist user wants the same amount of attacks he has to pay a minimum of 15pts extra.

Of course this then becomes a tactical option. Believe it or not, my power sword and axe Chapter Master is only saving 10pts over the lightning claw/power fist option, yet I've already cut my list so deep with austerity my models think my name is George! A spare combi weapon could make a difference in a competitive list too.

I have a model with power axe and power sword and another with powerfist and lightning claw.  I think the 10 points are worth it for the claw/fist combo.

I like axes over power fists because I can save 10pts in a direct points comparison, and if the power fist user wants the same amount of attacks he has to pay a minimum of 15pts extra.

Of course this then becomes a tactical option. Believe it or not, my power sword and axe Chapter Master is only saving 10pts over the lightning claw/power fist option, yet I've already cut my list so deep with austerity my models think my name is George! A spare combi weapon could make a difference in a competitive list too.

Screw that, being able to insta-kill stuff, go toe to toe with MCs, or break most vehicles with a power fist more than makes up for the 10 pts difference, imho. ;]

EDIT: Also, aside from monstrous creatures, almost every single multiwound model in the new daemon dex is T4 or lower, combined with 5++ saves, making power fists even better (no they don't have eternal warrior anym ore). ;]

Probably will be worth the 10pts over other characters with axe and sword, I just can't bring myself to pay out more funds to get the FW power fists/lightning claws that look decent! For now I'll save the points because I'm saving the money. (I'm also trying to future proof because I'm a tad worried about GW noticing the benefit a PF/LC and up the costs somehow...)

However, if you want just a pistol and axe (15pts investment) you will save much more points over a lightning claw/power fist (40pts).

Speaking of appearance, can anyone tell me what kit includes a left-handed power armor fist and/or claw? All I've found were right handed ones. 

A lot of the older sets should have left handed powerfists.  The commander and Assault squad should have left handed fists, the commander also has a left handed claw.

A lot of the older sets should have left handed powerfists.  The commander and Assault squad should have left handed fists, the commander also has a left handed claw.

Actually the fist in the Assault box is right-handed.

Left-handed ones... well, Black Templars upgrade kit, Command Squad, Commander, Devastators. At least. It's actually harder to find right-handed ones. The right-handed ones that I know of are in the Death Company box and the Assault box.

As far as Lightning Claws go, it's the Commander box (left) and the do-it-all Space Wolf box (left and right, IIRC). Of course the best source of claws if you need a boatload is the Chaos Marine Raptor/Talon box, but those would need to be modded to not look chaotic, I guess.

In general it tends to be annoying how the same type of weapons always seem to be for the same hand. Like all my power axes are right-handed, and almost all swords are left-handed. Heck, no bolter marines that'd shoot "left-handed" either, for that matter.

Eh, I'm retarded. I meant there are no right-handed claws, not left-handed claws. 

Left handed powerfists, the stuff I can confirm since I got the miniatures in front of me:

- dev squad (pointing finger)

- command squad (open hand)

- commander (clenched fist)

- chaos marines box (pointing finger)

Right handed powerfists:

- assault squad (pointing finger)

The commander sprue lightning claw is left-handed. Which means that, if I want to make a claw/fist dude, I'll either have to go with terminator armor (which sucks) or get an otherwise-useless assault squad. FML. 

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaannnddd here are our power armor lightning claws, on a shooty unit's upgrade sprue:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440176a&prodId=prod1710018a&rootCatGameStyle=

The funny thing about this one is that I might actually buy it, because I might need that heavy flamer to make a new Vulkan.

There are right handed claws, but they can be hard to find.  I got a metal vet model that came with a pair of power armored claws.

The Blood Angel boxes also have right handed powerfists, Death Company and Sanguinary Guard boxes.

My current preferred HQ is Pellas Mir'san, who has 2 power weapons, one of which has to be a master-crafted power sword. I run him with an axe as the other one.

I currently have a multitude of sergeants for various duties. Only 4 have power fists (2 tactical, 2 assault) several have swords (including 2 assault), currently have 6 tactical and 2 assault axe wielders. Going to finish my current painting queue, then work on a half-dozen mace wielders. Not counting combi-weapon or base models. I've actually taken apart several fist models to do this, axes and maces fill the roles I took the fists for better than the fists themselves.

Currently, the only models I really use Power fists on are a couple Sternguard sergeants and one bike sergeant.

I like the versatility of having a ranged weapon and a decent melee weapon so I generally prefer swords this edition. For the same amount of points as a PF you can put a combi-flamer and a power sword on a sergeant. I have found my PF and Axe sergeants dont fare so well because of duels they get singled out to easily and killed off before there initiative step. If I was BT though where I can hide a PF in a squad without dueling then I might use the PF.

On special characters I still like the Relic blade best of both worlds Str 6 and AP 3 without a ding to initiative.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaaaannnddd here are our power armor lightning claws, on a shooty unit's upgrade sprue:

Ah yes, forgot about the Sternguard upgrade kit. Still, as I mentioned, Warp Talons/Raptors and the Space Wolves Pack are options. Also as mentioned, there's a right-handed fist in the Death Company box. It's an awesome "I'LL BASH YOU FACE IN" pose, as well! Extremely expensive to buy boxes just for those bits, of course, but perhaps some Chaos/SW/BA player has spares leftover from those, it's always worth asking around.

Thanks alot for the info guys. Apologies for using the wrong forum, I figured since it's related to an official rule which I don't understand, I should post it here. Thanks for the move. You guys cleared up some things for me.

I have now just figured out that one of the (as of yet, unassembled & unpainted) terminators in the Dark Vengeance box has a chainfist and enough bling to serve as a captain/chapter master HQ. Now all I need is a terminator shoulderpad so I can give him a lightning claw and have yet another overpriced-yet-cool guy to use when I'm foolin around. xD

If you were to put a combi weapon on a sgt, would the points you save by taking an axe over a fist be worth the fact that you still are not getting an extra attack?

I struggled over that question in 5th Edition, when I ran Lysander and thus felt the need to take combi-weapons AND CCWs on my Tac Sergeants.  I went whole-hog on it, taking combis and fists, but it's a big points-hit.  Personally, I am now of the opinion that power fists should be left off of Tactical Sergeants, now I can still see a combi plus fist or claw on a Sternguard Sergeant since they're much more liable to need it.

Archived