inner struggles between fluff and comp

Since moving to Ukraine I've been building a flesh tearer army for pure fluff love. It's Gabriel Seth and his 1st company, so lots of terminators, san guard, sternguard and vanguard. Death company and a DC dreadnought, stormraven. In fact I only have 5 scouts and 10 assault marines as scoring troops. It is my fluffy dream army. 

BUT - I've discovered a local tournament in a nearby city for May. I've already booked a day off work for it, and convinced my girlfriend to come and translate for me. 

THE PROBLEM - Do I alter my fluff list to do better at a tournament, or keep my fluff list knowing I am handicapping myself at the tourny. 

Question 1  - What would you do in my situation? 

Question 2 - Do you also struggle with fluff vs comp? 

Personally I think that there is different fun to be had by the two styles of lists.  For me fluff lists are what you play with friends.  We all bring fluff lists and just have fun still a pretty equal win loss ratio because everyone is doing the same thing.  Because you are going to a tournament where it is expected that you are playing to win.  I think you and the people you play against will have more fun with a tournament style list.   This doesn't meen that it doesn't deserve some fluffy explanation but your fun at a tournament is different than your fun against friends where the beer, snacks, and conversation are just as important as the game you are playing.  

Anyway, take it for what it is worth those are my 2 cents.

I'd go with your normal list/choices. Tournament play, according to my knowledge, very much centers on local meta. If you know it you can adapt to it. If you don't then bring something you know AND like.

I'm definitely not a very competitive guy. I'm more to beer, chips, etc. :)

I am expecting a battle report or other feedback on how it went. Best of luck.

Thanks for the advice -

I'm not in it to win it. I care more about how easy it is to play an opponent either with a translator or with my basic Russian/their 2nd language English.

Also, coming to their club for the first time and smashing face with a heavy comp list is a good way of not being invited back a second time. (Wait til you have been there 3 times, and people have started to learn your name. Then unleash hell devil.gif )

I have decided I will be taking my fluffy army. I won't post an army list til final tournament size is decided (they are debating between 1850, 1999 and 2000).
I'm starting a new blogsite with some friends, and I will be posting about things there. But I will certainly include a mini-post and link here to let you guys know how it all went.

Archived