Do you put an assault cannon on your Darkshroud?

Upstartes

Obviously the Darkshroud's primary role is not killing things. However, I view a single heavy bolter on a vehicle as next to useless, and I would hate to find that the darkshroud has an opportunity to shoot at something but nothing worthwhile to shoot. I don't have a darkshroud yet, but I'm planning to do a proxy experiment with one in an upcoming game. Are the points for the assault cannon worth it? Or would they be better spent elsewhere?

Has anyone out there run the darkshroud with and assault cannon? Did you like what happened? Or did you later feel it was a mistake?

Interesting point. I don't upgrade my regular speeders to get assault cannons, but that's because there are better upgrade options. I never run a speeder with just a heavy bolter. With the darkshroud, the only two choices are heavy bolter or assault cannon, which is what makes me lean towards the cannon.

The cannon however is a costly upgrade and also increases the threat level of the darkshroud to the enemy, I'd rather keep just a "puny" Heavy bolter, that way enemies are more likely to ignore it. At least that's just how I think.

Same with the Land Speeder vengeance, why increase the cost of something like that?

Interesting point. I don't upgrade my regular speeders to get assault cannons, but that's because there are better upgrade options. I never run a speeder with just a heavy bolter. With the darkshroud, the only two choices are heavy bolter or assault cannon, which is what makes me lean towards the cannon.

Last time I proxied it forgot it even had the damn bolter. Its better to have range though, and as Scythe said better not make it a larger footprint than already is.

The

cannon however is a costly upgrade and also increases the threat level

of the darkshroud to the enemy, I'd rather keep just a "puny" Heavy

bolter, that way enemies are more likely to ignore it. At least that's

just how I think.

Same with the Land Speeder vengeance, why increase the cost of something like that?

Contemplated that and the answer would have been yes but the assault cannon has less range than the storm battery while the HB is equal. If you deepstrike it within range though its worth it.

You know, I have run it with the Assault Cannon every time, and while it has had its moments (killing CSM monsters!) it probably isn't the best way to use the points.  That said, it's a bump in firepower for a fairly small army in terms of numbers...

I Run Mine with the AC...Because I love the Tool....Always been a Fan of it since I saw the first Predator geek.gif, but I have to say that in a couple of occasions I have found myself in needing of the HB superior range.

I Would say it depends also on which army you are playing against.

my oppinion on the assualt cannon on the DS is dont do it, it dosent bear alot of firepower and draws alot of attention for its buffing uses so I feel that the DS should always be turboboosting in the shooting phase to maintain the best possable coversave.

I have been thinking of this same issue, my conclusion is to keep the HB and avoid the ACannon. My reasoning is the range of the weapons.

HB = 36"

AC = 24"

Unfortunatly having only a 6-12 inch bubble will probably make it a moot point, then the ACannon may be the best option.

Putting the DS into a RSS full of Tornadoes might then be the option to go with I'll have to try this one out.

my oppinion on the assualt cannon on the DS is dont do it, it dosent bear alot of firepower and draws alot of attention for its buffing uses so I feel that the DS should always be turboboosting in the shooting phase to maintain the best possable coversave.

Um...doesn't it get a 2++ just for moving?   Why turbo-boost?  Anyway, I'd probably prefer the HB just to keep the cost down, but since I'm making it a centerpiece, with a chaplain preaching from the "pulpit," the weapon is being moved to a chin mount...an AC is easy, not even really a conversion...but I'm too lazy to put in the effort to convert a HB to be chin-mounted.

+1 What he said.

The DS is a support unit. Not an attack craft. Use the 20pts to make another unit more killy. Move 13” and you get a +2 cover save for it. That 2+ will help keep your black knights and such alive alittle longer.

Um...doesn't it get a 2++ just for moving? Why turbo-boost? .

No, it gets 5+ for jink, adjusted to 3+ with shrouded, you need to move 1" in the shooting phase to get the turbo boost bonus to jink. The stealth bonus does not apply to the DS

I play very little but have been thinking about the exact same question..the load out for the Dark Shroud... I tend to agree with "Scythe of Vengeance's take.... an AC on the Dark Shroud increases the threat level and makes it much easier for your opponent to decide to target it...

If you were facing a DA or RW army think about your own response when facing a DS with HB and DS with AC.... you will have a greater impetus to kill a DS with AC due to it's multiple threat capability.... the bubble and the potent AC.... the HB on the speeder may well reduce its threat signature... Just hypothesizing... whistling.gif

SG

I play very little but have been thinking about the exact same question..the load out for the Dark Shroud... I tend to agree with "Scythe of Vengeance's take.... an AC on the Dark Shroud increases the threat level and makes it much easier for your opponent to decide to target it...

If you were facing a DA or RW army think about your own response when facing a DS with HB and DS with AC.... you will have a greater impetus to kill a DS with AC due to it's multiple threat capability.... the bubble and the potent AC.... the HB on the speeder may well reduce its threat signature... Just hypothesizing... whistling.gif

SG

Although...you could flip this theory and think...i want them to target the Dark Shroud first instead of the 4x typhoons he is accompanying so i will give it the Assault cannon to increase its threat...and if i get lucky and it doesn't die i may have the chance to use the cannon too at a later stage...

i agree with both idea's...do it if you have points spare... and also i used the Hvy Bolter on one of my other speeders tongue.png

Mithril

Archived