Angron, Primarch of the World Eaters

Brassangel

I have just accepted a project to paint this Forgeworld masterpiece belonging to a friend of mine (and local store owner). I will be painting it to a showpiece standard (per the details of my website). A few notes about the project:

-My friend has asked that I use TMM, or "True Metal Metallics," and not NMM. With the proper technique, there is certainly a level of realism that NMM just can't achieve, as it tends to look overly cartoonish.

-None of the poor victims on Angron's base will be World Eaters. While that moment is a popular one in his history, it wasn't a common occurrence. The owner of this model stated explicitly that he wants a color scheme that carries throughout the figure, while also representing Angron doing what he does on a battlefield to the enemy.

That said, I began with the face. This is some initial skin work. I will move on to the finer details as well as his tattoos next.

Thank you all for tuning in, and I can't wait to hear your comments!

IMAG1101 by jmcolbeck, on Flickr

I always find it weird when painters do a single section to full completion before moving on to others, especially when starting with finer details like this and then moving on to the much larger areas.

I think it's just showing off. "Look at me, I don't immediately assume that I'm going to do something clumsy to mess up this part that I've finished.  I have steady hands and am not accident prone, na-na!"

:teehee:

It is indeed an excellent start.  Looking forward to seeing the rest one tiny super detailed piece at a time ;)

Everyone can have steady hands. A table, palms together, and two hands on the mini will give everyone solid brush strokes. After that it's just practice.

Also, I don't always do a single part to completion, but in the case of skin, that's usually how I roll. yes.gif

I always find it weird when painters do a single section to full completion before moving on to others, especially when starting with finer details like this and then moving on to the much larger areas.

I think it's just showing off. "Look at me, I don't immediately assume that I'm going to do something clumsy to mess up this part that I've finished. I have steady hands and am not accident prone, na-na!"

teehee.gif

It is indeed an excellent start. Looking forward to seeing the rest one tiny super detailed piece at a time msn-wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Welcome back! I've started some work on the armor. The base layers are down, as well as some shading, and now I'm moving into the stain/reclamation/stain/reclamation/finish phase. :) There won't be much more work done on his backplate, however, as that will be covered by a big furry cape. I wanted to give you guys an update, so I just put these progress pictures up. I am basically showcasing that this true metal finish requires a great deal of patience. The formula (to this point) was: Gehenna's Gold, 3:1 Snakebite Leather: Scorched Brown to shade, 2:3:1 Snakebite Leather: Scorched Brown: Abaddon Black, then subsequent drops of Castellan Green and even a little purple. Once the shades are in place, use some watered down Gehenna's Gold to reclaim the mid-tone, and repeat. A highlight is given with a lighter gold + Mithril Silver, and finally Vallejo Air Chrome. As you can see, there's still a ways to go before I get the contrast and depth I'm looking for.

I also updated the head a little bit to finish the shroud, and a basic layout of the tattoos. I will probably keep them subtle, as some people tend to go overboard with these.

Without further ado:

IMAG1277 by jmcolbeck, on Flickr

IMAG1276 by jmcolbeck, on Flickr

IMAG1273 by jmcolbeck, on Flickr

Diggin' this version of old Angry Angron...  I like the black primer to start (this is how I roll).  I also like the flesh and face being painted first (this too is how I roll when it comes to painting minis).  Metallics look good.  This model would be a challenge to paint up in NMM golds and steel. 

Keep up the good work.

BSS

Thanks everyone! I'm still working on the armor a bit. Trying to glaze it through to gold without overpowering the colors that have been added. That's the hardest part about this technique: metallic paints easily cover up and dominate everything. If one isn't careful, it's possible to wipe out all of the tinting.

Diggin' this version of old Angry Angron...  I like the black primer to start (this is how I roll).  I also like the flesh and face being painted first (this too is how I roll when it comes to painting minis).  Metallics look good.  This model would be a challenge to paint up in NMM golds and steel. 

Keep up the good work.

BSS

It's harder, in my opinion, to paint it up this way (and have it look good) than it is to do NMM. I just feel NMM is an effort to say, "look, it's NMM" more than it is a technique to achieve realistic effects. Often times it doesn't even fit the feel of a model. There are countless Grey Knights Dreadknights, for example, where the armor is gritty, dark, and beaten up. Same as the ground on the base. Suddenly, a bright-ass blue and white shiny sword straight out of a cartoon is in it's hand. It's the only thing you see, and totally detracts from the rest of the model.

NMM has a place; I just feel there are few of them in 40k as compared to more bright/fantasy/cartoon settings like WarmaHordes or Fantasy.

Some Eldar weapons are perfect for it, as is the Sanguinor. :)

Archived