Finally the games start to roll in

bluepillredpill

So from only having the one game chalked up since the new codex was released I now have 3 game in successive weeks

This Saturday – 750 points v Dark Eldars – This game is more of a training mission for my friend who has returned to the 40k world after a 20 year break. I will be bringing to the table a tri-wing mix mainly for him to experience various elements of a force.

Next Saturday – 1500 points v Space Wolves – One of my friends that I have yet to go up against and also the 1st time I will be facing a Space Marine force, I’m expecting a number of terminators in this mix, So will need to do a bit of research on the best way to take these pups out and maintain the Lion’s Honour in this long standing grudge.

Then the following Friday (Easter Friday) I will be having a 2000/2500 points game v either a Chaos Marines or Dark Eldar army, this will be the tough one as he has a good selection to build either army from and he has experience on his side as unlike me hasn’t been away for the game for so long. He also has the advantage in that he knows I will be dark angels and nothing else in my army selection.

I would be keen to hear thoughts from my fellow brothers on tactics & squads choices to take.

Priority one, make sure you play against chaos, just for the fun you could have with some deathwing knights, from seeing them in action at a tournament recently, they literally strolled through everything thrown at them and sauntered on. Get 7 of them in a crusader and stick them with an interrogator chaplain armed with the mace of redemption and then throw them at the toughest units in the opposition army and smile as they carve them to pieces.

Black knights are also your friends and they'll be a worthy addition especially against power armour. If you cop a larger game against dark eldar, run a unit with some grenade launchers and have them roll with a full attack squadron, instant death bolters are no laughing matter.

The only other advice I'd offer is, if possible, a mortis contemptor dreadnaught, fliers and ground targets die to these things at a silly rate.

It might be useful to know what you have available

What I have off the top of my head

HQ

Belial

Samael

Asmodi

Int Chaplin in TDA

Int Chaplin in power armour

Liberian – Power Armour

Company Master

Elites

Handful of veterans

2 Dreadnoughts

5 DW Knights

4 Dark Vengeance DW sets

1 CC TDA squad(3 th/ss 2 tlc)

Troops

more tactical marines than I count (3 are DV sets)

Scouts (no sniper choices)

Fast Attack

4 Dark Vengeance RW sets

2 Attack Bikes (MM)

3 speeders (can mix and match weapons)

20 assault marines (mixed weapons to pick from)

Heavy

Can roll out various devastator squads

2 predators (both las cannons)

2 Land raider Crusaders

Fortifications

Aegis Defence Line

Transports

3 Rhinos

1 Drop Pod

Un-built at present

Dark Talon/Nephilim

DW command squad box

RW command squad box

Vengeance/Dark Shroud

That's what I can think off the now

censored.gif that's a massive collection. I'd bump the DW knights to 7 and run with the termy chaplain with the mace. Against a chaos list at least, and I'd stick with what I said previously about the black knights. The devastators are a must for some serious firepower and if you wanted to bury the board in bolter shells take the standard of devastation and a bulk of tactical marines behind the ADL

I do fancy trying out the standard defense line tactic, How would you look to postion the marines around it to maximise damage/coverage

My plan was always to add another two knights as I can only ever see them riding into battle and with a chaplin for the re-rolling fun teehee.gif

3 left over i can make into a standard bearer, champion and appoc and fill the squad with generic terminators

Much depends on the terrain set up and the type of game you'll end up playing. If you end up with a mission like the Relic then it's going to be tough unless you manage to grab it and cart it slowly back towards the gunline of death waiting at the back of the board.

More static games lend itself to this, especially from armies that have to get into CC to be effective or deep strikers. If you have the luxury of placing some of the terrain, then you can achieve something truly nasty. Ideally with solid terrain forming corners you could lay the ADL out between them and invite the opposition to come and get you. Remember, if you do run the banner, it's any UNIT within the bubble not just models.

I had the misfortune to face the command squad 2 tactical squads full devastator squad and a land raider crusader within the bubble of that bad boy. Painful doesn't even begin to describe the carnage

Αrround 100 bolter shots without counting the crusader biggrin.png

As amazing as that is...it kills an underwhelming 11 MEQs pinch.gif

OTOH, it'll do about 30 boyz/turn...back it up with a WW or two, and you can actually handle a green tide (defined as 6x30 boyz), which is not something marines are supposed to be capable of...

Anyway, If I'm using the standard of devastation, it's with four plas/plas tactical squads...32x4=128 shots, of which 83 hit...41 wound MEQs, 14 cut through power armor, and then tack on the plasma...call it twenty marines killed by fourty, in a single salvo. That's scary!

Anyway, If I'm using the standard of devastation, it's with four plas/plas tactical squads...32x4=128 shots, of which 83 hit...41 wound MEQs, 14 cut through power armor, and then tack on the plasma...call it twenty marines killed by fourty, in a single salvo.  That's scary!

How do you place yourself so you can use all 4 of these to optimal effect, I have been trying to figure out a descent setup?

Anyway, If I'm using the standard of devastation, it's with four plas/plas tactical squads...32x4=128 shots, of which 83 hit...41 wound MEQs, 14 cut through power armor, and then tack on the plasma...call it twenty marines killed by fourty, in a single salvo.  That's scary!

How do you place yourself so you can use all 4 of these to optimal effect, I have been trying to figure out a descent setup?

~shrug~  The bubble is freaking 12" in diameter, and only one model has to cut that bubble for the squad to benefit.  That's insanely generous, you basically have 1/2 of your half of the table to play with!  Honestly...

/edit/

Or...you could get a super-fluffy fortress of redemption and stick the banner in a "room" that's within 6" of every other room...and put the fortress behind a piece of terrain so yet another unit can claim cover and use the banner...

~shrug~  The bubble is freaking 12" in diameter, and only one model has to cut that bubble for the squad to benefit.  That's insanely generous, you basically have 1/2 of your half of the table to play with!  Honestly...

The Salvo effect is only a 6" aura. 12" allows for rerolling morale+pinning tests.

Sorry I misread your statement. Regardless, I don't understand the "half of your half" part. You'd only have a 6" bubble on a 6'x1' (4'x2' in Hammer & Anvil) deployment zone, which doesn't make any sense to me unless you're including movement in a transport. In the end getting 4 tactical squads to take full effect of the banner doesn't seem practical. Also, you needn't be so rude; it was an honest mistake.

Cool down gents... please keep thread civil, constructive and nice to look at.

cheers Lucifer

back to the my Original Post then

trying to decide what to do for next week against the Pups

I do see this being a deathwing approach but for 1500 doesnt give me all that much to play with

I'm currently looking at

Belial

3 deathwing troop choices mix of fists, hammers, assaut cannon and cyclones

full ravenwing squadron melta gun with typhoon speeder and melta attack bike

in two minds about taking a flyer (which I'll need to build) as it wont be expected

I expect to see him rock out rune priest and some named HQ's, termies, claws and land raider

I use the SoD in ravenwing lists, two-three RAS with the command squad in the middle, that's not as many shots as the green gun line (72) but they are on relentless models that move 12" and have twin linked bolters, so more hits on average, plus the squads can still move instead of being a static gun line.

A properly spread out tactical squad takes up a foot of frontage.  two of those on line with the banner in between (13" diameter bubble, even on foot) is over three feet wide.  That's half of your deployment zone.  Array them two deep, and that's easily four within range of the banner.  Or put two online with the banner tucked behind, and two more to the sides of the banner.  Anyway, four tactical squads using the banner is child's play.  If you're worried about some of them being out of cover, throw up an ADL along the leading edge of your deployment zone, problem solved.

So game at the weekend against dark eldar went good finished 4-0 (mates 1st game in a long time so was an expected win)

At 750 points opted to go with

Belial

Deathwing squad (5) 3 SB/PF, 1 TLC/CML, Sergeant SB/PS

2 combat squads with flamers

1 dev squad - 2 heavy bolters

Land speeder typhoon

Rolled for big guns never tire so got a bonus scoring unit in the dev squad

Played out to keep the dev squad in my deployment whilst the typhoon dealt some heavy damage and one of the combat squads secured an objective I had placed out in the opening forcing the DE to come out from cover.

Belial and his unit deep striked behind his lines and wreaked havoc on the vehicles and the units that had to disembark. His HQ was lucky enough to disembark round the side of a building so they were the only unit left at the end of the game locked in combat with a handful of marines.

Archived