How do you equip your speeders?

[TA]Typher

I usually go Hvy Bolter / Ass Cannon for Anti light vehicle/Infantry

OR

MM and a Typhoon Missile Launcher for Heavy Inf/Vehicles

But after looking and re-looking I can see that we can go Hvy Bolter/Hvy Bolter.... does anyone use this? It seems like it wouldn't be back for a cheaper anti-horde/infantry unit.

What about Hvy Flamer? Would you use it? and in what combination?

I tend to build generic armies in my free time, balancing them for pretty much any enemy.

I can see some very situation builds, but what do you usually use?

In RAS I now use Hvy Bolter Typhoons, YIPPEE!!!! My favorite zoom-zoom-pew-pew in the game.

In RSS I now use MM Typhoons to target hard stuff once it gets close.

I am a BIG fan of using range to protect the fragile speeder unless the target absolutely positively must be killed now (AV14 etc) hence RSS MM loadout.

In context; I use MM on Attack bikes as many others do, they pack enough punch for rare high AV vehicles and are CHEAP disposable units in comparison to their intended targets. I like to team them up in twos to allow for death and misses.

Tuppence

Troops.gif ......what he said teehee.gif plus you can add a Darkshroud to the RSS squad(if you take multiples of MM/Typhoon speeder) it helps keep em alive ...just a bit longer so they can get the job done, im really tempted to call my DarkShroud "Porkins" ...."stay on target....stay on target....Gyaaaaaahhhhh"..... ermm.gif

My speeders are Typhoon/heavy bolter. Thought about MM/MM, but I have attack bikes/RAS for that lol. Course, I have terrible luck with 'Striking speeders, so take that for what you will.

I recently start magnetizing my speeders. So far i have a underslung assault cannon, a passeneger side hvy bolter and MM and rocket pods. I can make any combination with them, but i am wondering if i should make a underslung hvy flamer or MM? Are they worth it?

What about two hvy flamers? Sounds brutal.

I have two tornadoes (AC/HB) and two Typhoons (TML/MM).  I really want to prefer the HB on the typhoon, because, as mentioned, range=survival, but S5 just doesn't pair well with S8, and I have other tools for horde control, I don't shoot frag missiles.  Ever.

I use two typhoons (TML/HB)

to be honest, 30-36" is close enough to anyone in my gaming group, if they spot a speeder within 24" their whole army tends to open up on the poor wee blighters.

personnally i think its jealousy :)

on another note though, i use a MM AB.

its not so easy to use. its an independant unit (its cant be attached to the bike squad, see the DA codex)

a lone unit of one MM AB attracts alot offire. even with 2 T5 wounds, it can go down easy, 1 VP for your enemy straight away.

some hints on MM AB's might be of use to OP as well as me.

Well...when I fielded a single RAS in support of a deathwing army under the old book, I put the MMAB on one flank, and the other six bikes on the other flank.  The DWA generally comes down on top of the six bikes, since they're more capable of supporting the termies...but there's always that telehomer lurking on the opposite flank, ready to beam in more termies later, limiting the enemy's ability to redeploy to face the heavy attack the other flank...hate to sell out to the main attack and then get caught with your butt flapping in the face of 1-2 more squads!  If that MMAB found a melta-worthy target, great, but 50 points to force the enemy to defend BOTH flanks instead of just the one I'm attacking...that's a fantastic use for the MMAB.

I think it would still work if you schedule the DWA for the bottom of turn two...by the time you have to decide where the termies are coming down, the enemy has been in the dark for 1/3 of the game, and he's pretty much out of time to react to one flank or the other...and the sheer weight of terminator power that you can bring down at once is much nicer, too! 

Personally it depends on who I'm fighting. in the current meta if I know what to expect I tailor to the target army. Personally dual Flamer tornadoes with MM typhoons make decent work of hoard nids and orks. HB/AC tornadoes with HB typhoons is my goto utility fit. Against dedicated shooting forces speeders need something else to draw fire for them to get anything done.

Personally it depends on who I'm fighting. in the current meta if I know what to expect I tailor to the target army. Personally dual Flamer tornadoes with MM typhoons make decent work of hoard nids and orks. HB/AC tornadoes with HB typhoons is my goto utility fit. Against dedicated shooting forces speeders need something else to draw fire for them to get anything done.

Why HB/Typhoons? why not MM Typhoon? It seems that they would do better vs vehicles and hvy infantry.

Why HB/Typhoons? why not MM Typhoon? It seems that they would do better vs vehicles and hvy infantry.

I don't use MM on my Typhoons because of the range issue. With HB I can stay between 36" and 48" away to shoot at armour, and coming a bit closer if I'm shooting at infantry or AV10/11 (which the HB can pen/glance). With a MM I'd be tempted to come inside 24" range a lot more, which would leave my speeders open to small arms fire.

I dislike list tailoring- it is lazy tactically and bad training for tournaments. If you only play friendly games, not as important... but it war you go to battle with what you have, and don't get to spend time swapping out gear for particular opponents.

Heavy Bolter and Assault Cannon. It's rather hard to change the weapons on Pewter Landspeeders!

But I wouldn't anyway. I love these guys. Maybe not so much in 5th edition, but I'm looking forward to using them again in 6th ed now they can move 12" and fire both weapons again.

on another note though, i use a MM AB.

its not so easy to use. its an independant unit (its cant be attached to the bike squad, see the DA codex)

a lone unit of one MM AB attracts alot offire. even with 2 T5 wounds, it can go down easy, 1 VP for your enemy straight away.

Use more than one. Seriously, they are fantastic as scoring models, I use 3 and would go with 4 or 5 but FoC constraints and my list prevent it.

Contrary to what some say, I advise only to outflank them for long board deployments or special cirmcumstances. The ABs are fast enough and cheap enough you want them on the board especially since unless your warlord gives acute senses you may end up out of the game with them until turn 3-4 and thats not considering reserves rolls. Instead just scout 12" then move 12" and your in melta range of their transports and gunboats. If they dont have a good target then this changes obviously but either way sending a hunting pack of individual multi meltas forward is nasty aggressive, better than podded squads and better than meltagun RAS.

You can also use them to tarpit weak CC units or interdict assault transports by moving right in front of them forcing them to abort their aggressive move by maintaining 1" when they skirt around you (if terrain permits) or tank shock you allowing a 2nd shot but auto hitting with the MM. Otherwise they sit there and direct a unit a removing the bike. They are good as sacrificial units too, to prevent charges against your larger squads, say if you need to put distance between your army and something. The TL bolter works well too for attempting to ground FMCs without wasting a more expensive units shooting on trying to roll 6s.  

Theres just tons of uses for these dudes and thats only a few I listed plus they allow you to spread 135-165 pts across 3 very fast scoring units. I Look at them as 2 man RAS. This then allows your army to bring aggressive elements like deathwing, dakka std formations and such without suffering from a blob syndrome where you cant spread your army out to claim objectives. Their amazing.

I currently run 4 typhoons with HBs. Last edition they were MMs simply because it was a free upgrade but also because everything I faced was 6+ mech to over 10 chassis. They worked great especially since if the TML got blown off the speeder was still very threatening.

Now in the age of hull points and more infantry I believe the HB is superior. Its much maligned (probably due mostly to marines) but when you consider that even against meq comparing a HB vs a krak missile/MM/las etc the HB is very slightly worse in unsaved wounds, but becomes slightly better than the entire bunch if the target has even a 6+ cover save, which is likely. Its also about twice as good vs. teq (las/mm beats it here but neither is optimal for anti teq). Then consider that its straight superior against everything xenos.. I love HBs. 

Archived