DoC Custom Army Fluff Problem

DiscipleOfCaliban

Hey, I've hit a little snag. I love the idea of my army fitting the fluff properly and wouldn't be happy with it if I couldn't explain it all properly but I've hit a problem with this, and this is where I should've started, as I've themed my DA as the Disciples of Caliban successor chapter.

For the most part this was going well, I've painted the models to suit the scheme, green and black even on DW and RW, and generally avoided fluff issues since they are so similar to DA anyway.

BUT, my army is heavy in RW so naturally I added Sammael. Then I realised I had an issue with fluff since Sammael obviously is not a member of the DoC and this clearly couldn't be another character due to him riding the LAST imperial jetbike in existence.

I already bought and assembled the model before this occurred to me and I really like the model too so I'm not gonna get rid of it but I can't think of any way of making him fit the fluff other than the boring fact that the Unforgiven chapters work so closely together that he could fight with them anyway.

Any imaginative solutions out there?

Thanks in advance!

Well, they say its the last jetbike in existence, and who is to say, that all the successor chapters claim this.   I mean, if these were made in any abundance, and being that the dark angels ravenwing has always been a calvary based army, I am sure they had many of the jetbikes.   There might actually be more of these jetbikes, deeply hidden inside the rock, where else are they going to get working parts to keep it up and running for 10,000 years. 

I am sure every dark angels successor has one of these bikes as well, but since GW hasn't the forsight to include any dark angels sucessor fluff in the last few army books, not to mention any non dark angel but still unforgiven characters, or any way to possible field a successor 2nd company master on a bike, our only option fluff wise is to field sammael on the speeder as a successor, but I say, make up your own fluff as to why your successor's second company master rides a jetbike.  Say it was a gift from sammael himself.  Say it was a recent STC discovery on a world they were hunting some fallen at, or say they reclaimed it from a fallen, to restore the precious vehicle back to the emperor.  

I eventually will be fielding on for my Angels of Vengeance chapter, I just have to figure out...how to convert that ugly bird head off the front and what to do with the space where that huge non battle purposed book would be, and then how to make my chapters version of Sammael look, impressive yet different.  

i love fluff integrity. respect mate.

in the new codex it refers to a few sucessor chapters having a wealth of arcane tech, probably referring to shrouds and such but this is open to interpretation(for what tech/relics they possess). the disciples are said to have several relics carried into battle. so, your chapter could have had a break through in recreating the "jet bike" technology or found the necessary "relics" needed to build a new one. adding a large scroll(the lionus censum) to the bike would be the icing on the cake. anyways, good luck and i hope you value my input or i helped inspired you in some way to rectify your jet bike. (i cant wait to get my hands on that modelwhistling.gif )

From the codex...

Many times Corvex has been thought lost or destroyed, but always returns.  Whether the Dark Angels maintain a cache of relics or have long-lost STC material is unknown, as they do not share their secrets.

Good on you for staying true to fluff, but I don't see a conflict with there being additional jetbikes in the successor chapters.

Just re-reading the fluff, it doesn't actually say that Corvex is the last jetbike in existence. It says that the last of the venerable Mk14s 'was thought to have been lost centuries ago', and that Sammael rides 'an example of this nigh extinct technology' ..... at least that's what the 4th Ed codex said, and I don't think they changed that paragraph in the new codex (operating from memory). It goes on to say 'perhaps the Masters of the 2nd Companies of the other chapters hold such wonders in their arsenals too, the last known jet bikes to be ridden.....blah blah'. So it leaves the door wide open for more jetbikes to be flying around.

:)

Thanks for all the replies. For some reason I thought I'd read that Corvex was confirmed to be the last remaining jetbike but as you have all pointed out it seems perfectly possible that the DA may have more stashed away somewhere. Will require so interesting painting since I don't want to modify the model but this could work out.

Thanks!

If it is was, the way the DAs interact with their Successors there is nothing stopping Sammy from taking charge of another chapters 2nd Company. Maybe he got a hint something was going down, didn't want to draw attention for fear of warning the Fallen, noticed the DoC were in the area, so got a rogue trader to transport him and his command squad, and then explained it to the DoC Chapter Master, and has taken temp command of your 2nd Company.

He is sticking it out with your dudes until he gets a ride back, which he is waiting for. Instead of idling, he is joining your dudes in the fight, and they are waiving authority to him based on the fact that he is so far the longest lived 2nd Company Master... obviously he is doing something right when most 2nd Company Masters measure their life expectancy in years after taking charge. (Instead of the decades and centuries for other posts.)

Point of fact is that the notion the the jet bikes are extinct when so many turn up in civi hands with speeders in books and the RPGs is bull do. GW should just give them back to the 40k SMs, at least the RW and the White Scars. From the fluff as i understand it there's no reason why the other Unforgiven Chapters shouldn't have there own jet bikes.

Yes, we could use an all jetwing squadron in the ravenwing.  Heck you got attack troops, blackknights, why not skyknights lol.  Imagine, they are all armed with heavy bolters and twinlinked bolters, with upgrades for multimeltas or plasmacannons in place of the heavy bolter.   They can get the same skillful rider as they were all once black knights and a 0-1 option to field, and they fill up a heavy support role instead of fast attack, as these bikes are heavy hitters, and are fielded in a unit of 3-5 tops. 

They could also have improved armor save of 2+ from the jet bike adding extra protection, but still only 1 wound models.

They could even cost some insane price like a basic landspeeder cost or more, because they get heavy weapons and can also assault, but why would you.    Maybe have it where they only have 1 attack provide because they can't swing weapons easily from the back of the speeders, so their close combat weapon is a modified frag or krak grenades lol

Yes, we could use an all jetwing squadron in the ravenwing.  Heck you got attack troops, blackknights, why not skyknights lol.  Imagine, they are all armed with heavy bolters and twinlinked bolters, with upgrades for multimeltas or plasmacannons in place of the heavy bolter.

And Volkite Culverins, please.

Oh, and reaper/twin-linked autocannons.

Also, I think it was mentioned that there's a possible STC for those jetbikes.

Archived