How Do You Deal With Heldrakes? An Unforgiven Answer:

Eulfein

Greetings Brothers!

After reading the forums for a couple of months now....I noticed that Chaos players looooooves spamming Heldrakes. So.....it begs me to ask....how do you guys deal with these nasty, flame-spitting, vectorstriking beastie?

For the Lion! 

Funnily enough, I was having an email chat with a mate about how to counter a list with a shed load of drakes.......

If your opponent is taking 3 drakes, then he's spending just over 500 points on them.....so why not counter with 500 points of dual use weaponry....

If FW is allowed......

2 x Mortis Dread with autocannon

1 x Mortis Dread with lascannon

ADL with quadgun

chuck in a techmarine with PFG and you've got a good firebase. The Interceptor rule really helps!

If FW is not allowed, then I think devastators behind an ADL with a Libby casting Prescience is an option.....problem is that they don't get Interceptor.

If you are pure RW with no FW, then your options are slim. A nephilim might be part of the solution, however what I see people recommending most often is Black Knights. Twin-linked plasma talons in bulk will put some hits on flyers even without skyfire. If you're able to use the BK's maneuverabilty to get rear shots, the drakes will drop pretty easy.

Bonus: black knights kick ass against ground units.

I've heard that Black Knights are usually the solution...especially if run in multiples. I see the brutal potential of the knights up close though. Thanks for the feedback. perhaps once my Ravenwing is complete I'll run a few tests and see which works best.

In some respects the best solution will be to get tarpitted in CC through your opponent's turn and Hit & Run out of CC at the end of his assault phase. That way his drakes are rendered impotent. RWCS with the RW Company Banner would be all important! Difficult to do, but would be fun to watch :)

In some respects the best solution will be to get tarpitted in CC through your opponent's turn and Hit & Run out of CC at the end of his assault phase. That way his drakes are rendered impotent. RWCS with the RW Company Banner would be all important! Difficult to do, but would be fun to watch smile.png

This is how Ravenwing does it sadly. This is why all my RAS/Bks run around with Libbys or Tech marines and PFG. I like assuring mutual non-destruction to keep my bikes safe.

Why not two generic HQ on bikes with power field generators? You are fast enought to get behind the dragon. Ravenwing and Dakka-banner then just wipe everything out on the ground first since he invested so much point in flyers.

Why not two generic HQ on bikes with power field generators? You are fast enought to get behind the dragon. Ravenwing and Dakka-banner then just wipe everything out on the ground first since he invested so much point in flyers.

I use the tech marines because they are cheap and allow me to field Sam. It is normally, for my ravenwing, Sam, Librarian on Bike, and 2-3x Techmarines on Bikes. Sam rides in a Black Knight squad, with the librarian in the Command Squad to bolster it and impart a invul, and the Techmarines ride with the RAS.

I use the tech marines because they are cheap and allow me to field Sam. It is normally, for my ravenwing, Sam, Librarian on Bike, and 2-3x Techmarines on Bikes. Sam rides in a Black Knight squad, with the librarian in the Command Squad to bolster it and impart a invul, and the Techmarines ride with the RAS.

Actually, I didnt read your post but I can see how my post might have been percieved as a question for you :) we seem to have the same idea.

I deal with helldrakes by laughing.  I hope they take three, cause that'll sure help me with my model cound disadvantage...I'm fielding 24 terminators and two crusaders, so three fliers that are zero threat is a godsend!

3 Helldrake sure is a pain if you play RW because of the AP3/ignore cover weapon. This shouldn't have been that strong if GW didn't have modified the arc of fire in an FAQcensored.gif

Engaging in CC is surely the best solution. And also make the maximum damage at turn 1. There's actually a dilemna : should you give dakka banner to maximise damage in the first turns or fortitude to get a 5++ save against the flamer? Personnally I would say the second because of the 12" radius that doesn't make your RW force appealing to template weapons...

That said there's worth than 3 drakes list : Necrons' 7 flyers listph34r.png

Necron spammed flyer lists can be troublesome for any army, unless they're set up specifically to try and deal with them.

I like the ideas above for the heldrakes, but has anyone tried lots of little troop units, like a 5 man tactical squad with 1 flakk ml?

If 5 or 6 units like this focussed solely on flyers for a couple of turns surely they would wittle them down quick?

problem, cod lover, is that those 5 man squads with flak launchers are your only scoring units, and the three helldrakes can obliterate three of them before you get to shoot at the helldrakes...bad idea!

Archived