"Cursed and but a single step from damnation..."

"For eleven hundred years, I have fought and I have seen the darkness in our galaxy. I have seen the vileness of the alien and the heresy of the mutant. I have witnessed the sin of possession. I have seen all the evil that the galaxy harbours, and I have slain all whose presence defiles the Emperor. I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay... so fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death."

I'm not long back into the world of 40k and plastic-addiction, since Christmas 2012 I have pretty much completed an Iron Warriors chaos space marine army of approx 2500pts. I exceeded my own estimations of how disciplined I could be with painting an army up about two and a half months. However I've run out steam with that project and rather than continue to add to it, I decided I needed to just get more games with what I had than try and keep adding more units. However that leaves me with a big hole in my spare time, and since I've enjoyed the painting so much I've decided to take on a second army with the goal of putting it together in more planned chunks of points this time.

My choice: Blood Angels. In my opinion the best loyal space marine chapter with the best fluff, the best characters, and some brilliant unique units and special rules. And importantly, aesthetically they look awesome from the Death Company to the Sanguinary Guard to the Baal Predator to Mephiston. I am super excited to get started!

The idea is to start with a 1000pts army and add on chunks of 500pts as I go. Why Blood Angels? Well they were in my shortlist of two armies when I made the leap back to 40k so it only seemed fitting to do them anyway post-Iron Warriors.

Minus too much detail, my first 1000pts will be:

Power armoured Librarian

Tactical Squad

Assault Squad (Jump packs)

Death Company in a drop pod

Furioso Dread in a drop pod

Baal Predator

Hopefully lots of fun to play and paint, but with bite. It's all set to kick off this weekend but I thought I'd make a start tonight.

I'm still waiting on my main paint order to come in before I start slapping on the red, so I began tonight assembling the models I already have. I bought 20 Heresy-era Forge World tactical marines from a local club member, with loads of bolter variants, armour types, and some heavy weapons. A perfect starting point. It will be a 40k army though, not 30k. I want to see what the next HH book from FW covers, Legion-wise before committing to 30k just yet.

So tonight I made a start on the tactical squad in my list. A mix of Mk IV and Mk V armour, with one Mk VI suit for the sarge.

20130320_002614.jpg

All the models were pre-assembled, and being resin and superglue I didn't want to start busting them apart so only made small changes: rebased them with small shards of slate (?) from the flowerbeds in my back garden (freeeee!) and model railway ballast (going for a blasted Medrengard-style terrain); no repeated bolters in the first combat squad; chopped the arms and reposed one Mk V to hold the multi-melta; re-posed the beaky marine to hold a de-chaos'd chainsword and one of my Iron Warrior Raptor boltpistols plus a HH backpack I modified to look more 40k than 30k with different vent nozzles. They'll all get 'accessorised' once I get my main infantry boxes of Blood Angels bits but they look great so far and for pretty mundane tactical marines have enough character and interest to stand out (I think).

Leaves me this lot...

20130320_002506.jpg

The other half of the squad are bottom right. Middle right are future Mk II and Mk III Sternguard with the awesome Umbra Ferrox bolters from Forge World. Bottom left are going to be half an Assault squad with jump packs.

More updates to come pretty thick and fast I hope smile.png

"For the Emperor and Sanguinius!"

Made a start of painting. Nee point in hangin about.

20130323_203608.png

So much easier to spray up like this. Genius idea by someone.

20130323_203619.png

Sternguard with heavy flamer. Converted from a FW Mk3 with a Chaos Terminator heavy flamer trimmed down.

20130323_203630.png

Sternguard sarge. Chaos Lord lightning claw, Grey Knight and Sanguinary Guard bits too.

20130323_203646.png

This will be my initial HQ choice, just a basic Librarian with a jump pack. Made from the command squad, Death Company, Grey Knights, and Sang guard... all mixed up together. Cost about a tenner in bits off the internet but I do love a unique model!

I decided to not do what I did with the Iron Warriors, and painted my HQ up first. I think I've played about two games with a painted IW HQ (and even then he's not finished!) and so for the Angels I wanted him done first.

librarian.jpg

Quite happy with how he came out, faces continue to be my nemesis though and this came close to getting thrown out the bedroom window at one point >biggrin.png I scaled down the base too as it looked like crap when it was painted. Overall quite relieved though as this is the most colourful and varied model I've painted since restarting after a 15yr break at the start of 2013 - painting my Iron Warriors was easy as they're fairly monochrome, this was much harder due to the many colours! I think it looks much nicer in person as the camera has exaggerated the contrast. I also learnt that I can't paint a straight line hence the silver and blue-glazed force sword rather than edge highlighted goodness. Bah. But he's just a small point force HQ as I have my eye on another certain Librarian and axe-wielding chaplain for bigger points games.

In other news I stocked up on more stuff.

boxes.jpg

Managed to save a tenner at Hobbycraft on the drop pods. I needed two. And they had two. Result! Death Company are built, as is the Furioso. I want to get the assault marines before I start painting so I can spray all the basic infantry red at the same time.

Oh and I've ordered the Apothecary set from Forge World for my Sanguinary Priests. Can't wait to get them as the models are luuuuuuuuuuuush.

I like the conversions and I am a big fan of the librarian. Good job and keep it up!

Thanks! I know it's not the greatest paint job but I'm pretty chuffed with myself if I'm honest. I just need a name for him...

how did you attach them to the dowel rod? glue screw blue tack? it's a very interesting method

It's just a broom handle. I used blobs of blutack to hold them on. My tip is to leave about a foot empty either end so you can swap ends and spray them from the other direction too. I'm also going to space them out more next time too, but it was much quicker to paint them like that than on a box or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Well hit up the classical Renaissance names. I thought of Voltaire myself for him. But Dante comes from those names. Just do some scrolling through those databases on the internet.

I've named him Aquilon. Good tip on finding names there!

---

Not a massive amount of progress to show, it's been all about assembly this week and no painting so far... to be corrected tomorrow I hope ¬¬
I've now got my basic starter force assembled and based.
army1.jpg
Librarian HQ
2x Sanguinary Priests
1x Furioso Dreadnought
5x Sternguard (not in pic)
2x 10 man assault squads
1x 10 man Death Company squad
1x Tactical squad
1x Baal Predator
2x Drop pods
Unexpected but welcome reinforcements arriving on Sunday I hope msn-wink.gif But the above works out at about 1500pts. Not a bad starting point I think. It's killing me not painting them, only the DC have been started (not you can tell looking at the pic...).
Bought the pair of apothecaries from Forge World, and set about giving them an individual look and some Blood Angel identify
sangp1.jpg
Jump packed for assignment to my assault squads. I removed his chainsword and swapped it for a BA powersword as the pre-Heresy swords look a bit unfinished imho, and he's got some decent stats so worth the extra points. Pre-Heresy jump pack, and added a search light from the other standard backpack.
Next up, my 'Meros'. If you've read Fear To Tread by James Swallow, you'll know why apothecary Meros is so important to the history of the Legion/Chapter.
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/4/4b/RedAngel.jpg/180px-RedAngel.jpg
The poor blighter... sad.png
So I gave this guy a bit of Meros with the chainaxe which works nicely with the pre-Heresy armour. I'd like to imagine he is honouring his memory with his choice of wargear which is rarely seen on non-Chaos Legionnaires. Also the default pose of his body was perfect for a raised weapon imho
sangp2.jpg
Now I'd hate to not be able to put one Priest in a transport with some other troops, so I magnetised his backpack:
sangp3.jpg
Final thing, I didn't like how basic the basing looked. So ended up rebasing EVERY infantry model. And repainted the Librarian base. The old one was OK but dull and a bit lacking interest.
librebase.jpg

I think I'm spending more time buying models than painting them at the moment I NEED TO PAINT.

I splurged a load more cash on yet more stuff for the army from a member of my local club. The backlog of painting increases... two of the new items were planned, a third drop pod plus a second dreadnought. It's a Raven Guard Forge World dread but a little tinkering should get it looking suitabley Angels looking. Torn as to whether to go DC or Furioso. DC would be fun and a troop choice... biggrin.png

Also acquired 19 terminators. 11 from the re-released Space Hulk and 8 are standard GW with some close combat models thrown in - far too cheap to pass up. Having so many all at once leads to the creation of fiendish army lists smile.png go big or go home, as they say! But Blood Angel terminator are THE terminators in my opinion having being brought up on Space Hulk. Won't be an auto-include in my games but a drop pod and deepstrike terminator army will be hilariously fun or hilariously disasterous to play with!

Here they all are after their first bout of paint stripping, I ran out of brown Dettol so stripping will recommence tomorrow

terms.jpg

(Death Company in the background, mid paint)

Looking good brother. And I am glad I could be of assistance. Especially considering how awesome the librarian came out!!

And be careful of that slippery slope of buying before painting.....I'm now surrounded by unpainted minis and only just barely making any headway by sectioning them off into different projects. These are looking really good and I would hate to see it go unfinished due to inundation like my projects did. Keep it up!!

Brother Excedis

"Some say that the Blood Angels are tainted: that they harbour a dark secret. I know this to be true. I have seen the infamous Death Company: wild-eyed and foam-mouthed berserkers who tear their enemies limb from limb, crush skulls with a single blow, snap spines and rip out inner organs." - Inquisitor N'Syun

I can't believe how long I've spent on these...  :| and it's not as if I've done a fancy paint job! Just so fiddly with loads of annoying trinkets and scrolls everywhere! But they're finished so now I can get on with doing loads of red instead  :D

dc6.jpg

dc5.jpg

dc1.jpg

dc2.jpg

dc3.jpg

dc4.jpg

Chaplain is from 1993, he's on the cover of the original Blood Angels and Dark Angels codex, Angels of Death:

http://img13.nnm.ru/6/8/8/d/d/688dd53ef40d6de803a5a878a62bf6bb_full.jpg

Really enjoyed painting him, added a Death Company backpack with the extra bling, and a winged goblet I had from somewhere (?) to the top of the pack, some grenades etc. Love this model but the bolter is so absent of detail it looks weird in comparison to what we get these days! So I'm going to retrospectively add some bits to it to detail it up a bit more. He'll be used as either a chaplain or reclusiarch depending on force org slots. I really want the Lemartes model but the jump pack makes him slightly pointless for my DC squad.

Adding some more bits to that Death Company chaplain might work really well. Love the new basing as well!

Hey thanks. Bases and faces, as they say! I just need more practice with the faces!

I couldn't unleash the spray tonight so made do with a bit of simple converting instead. I got this Raven Guard Forge World dread from a fellow club member last week, for a third of the price of a regular GW plastic dread. Stripped the paint with the intention of converting it up to Blood Angels. 

Went from this
dcd2.jpg

To this
dcd1.jpg

Seems a very fragile model as it fell apart as I was stripping the paint off (S10 AP1 Toothbrush) so had to repair it first of all. Put on a spare dread smoke launcher to cover the snapped banner pole mount. Removed the bird skull from the front chest and replaced with a human skull. Shaved the front of another skull off and stuck inside the laurel wreath on the leg. Shaved off the Raven Guard badge from the other leg and replaced with a Terminator honour badge. Repositioned both feet to avoid the knock-knee'd look. Failling a last minute change of mind, this will be a Death Company dreadnought rather than a Furioso but not 100% sure yet.

Archived