Land Raiders at 1500 or less

Demus Ragnok

Woke up this morning with the idea of double landraiders in a low points army. How bad could it be? What would sync with the raiders to be something semi competitive?

And before you say "No don't do it, it won't work, your mad, mad I say, the sky is falling!", stop take a breath and don't. This theoryhammer is for fun, about a game, that is supposed to be fun. So there.

My first idea was this:

Kahn

10 man scout squad bolters

10 man scout squad ccw bp

Land Raider

Land Raider

Why? I don't know, it came to me in the night.

Hmm. Getting a double Land Raider list to work is hard but you've attacked it along the right lines and used those good old cheap troops to fill them, thus negating some of the problems with expence. What else do you have in mind for support in the list.

Well, since the LR has some strong long range punch with the TLLCs, some volume of fire aka dakka certainly wouldn't go amiss. Perhaps some air support. It's certainly doable, and there are still a lot of options on how to go about it.

^^; It could work, I guess, unless you end up playing against Sisters or Dark Eldar. With the current line of plasma over melta thinking, most small armies would have trouble with a Land Raider.

You've got long-range antitank sorted with four TL lascannons, so I'd go for some heavier anti-infantry or suppression units.

Is there a reason you're not considering a Redeemer to carry the scout assault squad?

Someone challenged me to play with more than one LR once in 5th, so I brought 4 to a 1500 point game. Cassius, Terminator Assault Squad in Redeemer, 2 5-man scout squads, normal LR, 2x LR Crusaders with Multi-melta.

After I blew up his Demolisher in the first turn before he could move, it went downhill fast.

Not sure how it'd go in 6th, be an interesting trial though, might have to break it out again.

Pretty much the same thing you would do back in 5th, just make sure anything above S8 dies fast, especially if it's melta.

Without melta or S9+ your Land Raiders will have a field day.

Historically, when I've pulled more than one raider off my shelf, I've pulled three or more and attempted armament denial on the premise that if most of their weapons can't hurt you you've negated a lot of their points. It changes how the game plays, and drop pod melta will ruin your day. I suspect that airmobile melta is just as bad.

The idea would be to simply have nothing below AV 14 to be attacked, as anything less gets targetted by those things that can't hurt your raiders. A few times I mixed it with drop pod Iron Clads to mixed results. In the post modern era we're in, I'd probably support them with Storm Ravens. Perhaps a storm raven with an Iron Clad. I'd also ponder a bastion with scouts on top to operate a com-link to time your storm raven depending on the points value.

I'd also not run standard pattern raiders, but at least a crusader c/w multi-melta. If forgeworld varients are in play, I'd probably take a helios if I can operate the whirlwind with the machine spirit and a prometheous for anti-personal work. That or an achilles and a prometheous.

It's a list that'll work against some armies and won't against others.

Any army with multiple melta squads will cause you a big headache, especially if they arrive via drop-pods or are scouts/infiltrators.

Also DE with their easy access haywire grenades and fast, open topped, shielded skimmers can mince land raiders.

And, of course, Necrons will just glance-kill the raiders with gauss weapons or rip them apart with scarabs/warscythes.

I know one guy who used to run a double Raider list using codex:BA in 5th edition, and it was painful, but the rules have changed since then.

As Eddie has already stated - you will likely lack anti-air unless you get a Helios or can find a way to squeeze a flyer/defense line in somewhere.

When dealing with a full drop pod list deploy the squads outside and around to force them to deploy too far away to get melta range. For flyers either bring a raven as well, or just get into their deployment zone as fast as possible. If they want to get you they'll have to hover making them easy pickings.

Necron Gauss will unfortunately ruin our day as will some of their other heavy weapons, but Necron warriors are squishy compared to what they used to be, and you could simply deploy a strong assault unit out of one to wipe out squads.

For Dark Eldar either just try and take out their boats as fast as possible, gun down any squad with a haywire, and/or Play Black Templar and run several crusaders with blessed hull thus making 90% of their shooting useless on your Raiders.

Land Raiders are definitely one of those units where you need to either run one with support, or run as many as you can fit with no other vehicle options.

It's a list that'll work against some armies and won't against others.

As Eddie has already stated - you will likely lack anti-air unless you get a Helios or can find a way to squeeze a flyer/defense line in somewhere.

Aye, situational is a kind way to put it.

My experience is that a lone quad gun is of trivial value for Air defence against the general array of AV 12 flyers I normally encounter. Mind you, I see a lot of warbands backed by multiple Heldrakes at ~1250 points. At some point I'll model an Icarus to try it, but I'm not holding my breath. I think the docterin will need to be like hunts like with an anti-armour equiped storm raven to cleanse the skies.

Mind you, in the raiders you could, during 'regulation time' just plain ignore baleflamer armed drakes 'cause they can't hurt your raiders. 'Cron Deathrays and hostile stormravens not so much. tactics during table set up would be key against bale-drakes. If you can make the case that they can't burn the second floor, that's where you place the markers to take them on turn five. Even if not, stash them in any multi-floor ruins available to take advantage of the whole 6" coherency across floors thing to mitigate flamer death.

My choice would be to almost always go second, with so many points invested in durability you're unlikely to table your foe, so you want the last crack at the markers, ideally hopping on them on turn five just before the game ends to deny any attacks against your inf at all, and to have your air cover arrive in response to theirs so you can get the drop on them.

Drop-podding armies will be a nighmare for your list. Especially if your oppenent uses combimelta sterns. Also more troops wont hurt in objective based games. If you will ignore air just be careful about deploying and movement actions. I think i do not need to remind you the huge meta chenge with the coming of hull points. Otherwise yeah why not to play with two LR's if you have fun.

Archived