Making Azzy + Death Comany work

Upstartes

So, I have this stormraven. I've been turned on to the idea of using Blood Angels to represent Consecrators allies, allowing me to use the raven with my dark angels while still satisfying my personal thirst for fluff. I chose Consecrators just because I liked the sound of them. This all leads to me toward having a Death Company squad with Azrael attached. Setting aside whether or not that is a good idea in itself, I'd like to ask for opinions on how to help make such a thing work.

I don't plan on a huge DC blob - juts 10 guys  max. Probably an attached Rechlusiarch who also fills the role of allied HQ.

The challenge: get these guys up the field. Azzy and the DC can't ride in the same transport due to the allied transport restrictions. With Master of Maneuver, they can run a decent distance in the first turn, and maybe be ready to mix it up on turn 2, but will they get shot up to quickly? 4++ and FnP is a pretty good combo, but enough shots will blow them up just the same.

My ideas:

1. Put bigger threats closer to the enemy. My primary detachment is going to be mixed DW/RW, and will be geared towards dropping terminators in the face of the enemy. Then they will at least have to choose between shooting the termies or shooting the DCs.

2. Give them some vehicles to hide behind. I have one assembled Vindicator and one still on the sprues. In theory, I could use them to provide some mobile cover for the DC team, but if the Vindies are moving and shooting, this plan might actually slow down the advance of the foot-sloggers when compared to running them forward at full speed. I also have a tech on bike who could tag along with the vindies to provide PFG cover and repair as needed. As a variant, I could gather the bits to make a Baal Predator instead of a second Vindie. The scout move and fast nature of the vehicle might prove useful.

3. Separate rides? Have the DC and Azzy ride in different transports to the front-line, then join up. This seems fraught with logistical difficulty.

Anyone have any other thoughts? I'm not a tournament player, so I'm not searching for something to be highly competitive. However, I don't want to field something that falls on its face either.

Have you considered trading out the DC's jump packs for a rhino (or some other kind of moving cover)?  Not quite as sexy as a vindicator, but notably cheaper, and you aren't losing much when it blows up.  Alternately, if you really want to hold onto those hammer of wrath attacks, have Azzy ride in a rhino with some kind of throwaway squad (either a scoring tactical squad or a dev squad with multi-meltas) and have the DC advance behind the rhino using it as cover.

No?  A libby would have garbage stats and equipment, would give the enemy (death company are fighty, not shooty!) the 4++ save as well, fail to unlock bikes and termies, and lack Rites of Battle.

Personally, though...Azzy leading a horde of 50 guardsmen would be much cooler!  trailed by a lieutenant...you can't kill the gits, and then they're in your face with 150 FRFSRF shots!

It makes for a great visual image. There are inherent problems now with DC as you've stated, even in pure BAs but ill see if I can throw out a few suggestions:

-Storm raven delivery. Azrael is basically a comms relay so you will arrive turn 2 around 83% of the time. Drawbacks are you still wont assault until turn 3 and if the ride goes down you've lost the game. Not that ravens are at all easy to kill though.

-land raider delivery. Probably the optimal delivery system with potential turn 2 assault. Drawback is its very expensive and might get stalled in the backfield by AT, which brings me to:

-jump pack delivery. Cheaper than a land raider although still expensive so you would likely only take 6-8 models to absorb the JPs cost. BAs players dont usually run these IME but azraels 4++ and screening transports should keep them alive. Downside is azrael will fall behind slowly although once you reach combat his pile in should make up for most of it (6" + base width + 2").

-slog em. At 20 pts each its a viable option if you go with 10+ guys although you will be getting shot and even charged since no on wants raging DC. Also really slow.

Hmmm heres another thought: sammael + DC (w or w/o JPs) gives a 12" scouting or outflanking (or deep striking) 12"  moving hit and running face beating death machine, and brings a body to absorb instant death. Holy :cuss.

Meh azrael probably fits the image better.

Either way I would consider taking a snippy DC dread to put in the raven. You get a free comms with azrael and the dread is cheap enough to risk losing if the bird goes down.

Thats what ive got.

Archived