Mass Tactical squad with support

I was looking for opinions and feedback.

A list at 1500 pts with 4x tactical squads support by 2 priest be a viable army in a non-competive game. This is for fun, but I do not want it to be army that can be roll-over easily. I have currently 5 tactical squads (i think i might have bought more than I needed). d'oh!

Of course there will be space for assault/tactical terminators. I am not going hog wild on tacticals, but I want to use the models I have. 

I wanted to play a full foot army using the BA priest as a way to keep the foot marines going longer. Some input would be great.

I don't think a full foot slogging marine army is ever a bad bet, I've known a space wolf player who spams grey hunters and long fangs on foot and its quite effective. In the context of Blood Angels, I have personally fielded 30 tactical marines marching on foot with support in the form of assault marine's and devastators. I think what is an auto include is units that can arrive back field to distract and hamper your foe. Additionally, range support. This could dev's, tactical marines with missile launchers,lascannons or plasma cannons. I don't think dreadnought's are very good at shooty support as they can fall prey to fire fairly easily. I would also suggest the use of a Librarian for sangunie shield. Providing your foot sloggers with a 5+ cover save. 

Units that can strike back field: any thing with a jump pack, out flankers, terminator's or flyers. I think a nice juicy 10 man terminator tactical squad with dual cyclone missile launchers would be good. Deepstrike and combat squad them to maximize their flexibility.  

It's absolutely viable.  I've run 1750pts games with 4 tactical squads, 1 squad of scouts, 3 dev squads(ML), 3 priests(Corbulo), 1-10 man sternguard and libby.  All infantry, no vehicles, no fliers.  They worked really well, and I had fun playing it.  Although I didn't have any assault units, it didn't really matter.  The amount of firepower I had, the games were over by turn 4 on average.

I didn't take codex powers, went with Divination for prescience from BRB.  I utilized cover as much as possible, advanced only when I needed to.  The devs in the rear held their own, and dished out 12 ML shots a turn, followed by the rest of my ML in the tactical squads.  I had a good FnP bubble going on, pretty much keeping every single unit within 6"

I like seeing all the marines on the table, and although there is no skyfire units in the army, who cares.  The odds of you rolling 6's with all those ML are pretty good.  In a competitive game, I'd probably throw in an Aegis Defence Line or something.

Try it out and let us know how it goes.

Archived