fire support for deathwing

tomsev

lets push it say 3 dreads(2×2×tlac, 1lc ml) and 3 tanks (2 preds w/sponson lc, 1 vindie... or in the other order) about what 800pts... leaving 1200 for deathwing... 

or what about land speeder squadrons 3× 5 typhoon hb speeders...    speeder spam...

My fire support takes the form of the two crusaders that are delivering Belial's assault terminator squad and the knights....plus the two tactical termie squads that home in on Belial.  That's four hurribolters, four TL ass cannon, and eight TL stormbolters on turn two...fourty LT bolt shots and 16 TL ass cannon shots is pretty mean fire support.  After that, the only difference is that the termie-based shooting is no longer twinlinked.

My fire support takes the form of the two crusaders that are delivering Belial's assault terminator squad and the knights....plus the two tactical termie squads that home in on Belial.  That's four hurribolters, four TL ass cannon, and eight TL stormbolters on turn two...fourty LT bolt shots and 16 TL ass cannon shots is pretty mean fire support.  After that, the only difference is that the termie-based shooting is no longer twinlinked.

it is mean fire support but there no range and the only true anti av14  are the 2 multimeltas on the 2 crusaders... and its only at 24inches ... im looking for support that can hit them hard turn1

missile devs dont cut it? what about the lascannon missile launcher dread? and combi preds or do i have to go with triple las preds? 

you said 2las devs and 2plasma cannon devs in a 10 man dev squad? and a plasma cannon missile launcher dread, i like the sound of that last one...

Don't doubt the crusaders. You see 24inches but the can move 6 and unleash heck, often times there is only 24 inches between deployments. Those mulitmeltas are brutal and those twin linked assault cannons are often not appreciated till you pop land raiders with them which is pretty easy to do with twin linked and hot dice. That being said if your opponent has land raiders or armor 14, dw have power fists, chain fists to deal with that easy enough. What I prefer on my feathering is more anti infantry weapons to move down troops in droves because its the mass return fire that does more harm to the termies than tanks seem to do to them. Itnisnmore frustrating to lose your termies to splinter rifles and lasguns and shoots than to a las cannon.

ok well thats one element i already own... now onto the rest, i also own 2 dreads 1 metal lc ml, and 1 plastic venerable dread kit so lc, pc, asscan and dccw with either storm bolter of heavy flamef, also i own 1 tri lc pred and 2 combi preds, and all dev squad setups apart from the 4 multimeltas setup much to my displease as ive alwaays wanted to field this as a midfield bunker of death for everything with armour...

I personally like the idea of the venerable dreads.  With Deathwing dreads, they gain +1BS, and +1WS which makes them easier to use in both close combat and shooting, and they get the venerable status of forcing rerolls on pens.   They also fit the Deathwing armies, because if a full deathwing fluff wise was going to teleport in, drop poding dreads would easily be seen as part of the army.  

Predators are great mobile support choices as well.  Devestators on the otherhand provide you a stationary support element, which aren't bad, but if they move they don't really shoot, and they are easily seen as juicy cannon fodder if that is the only element you are setting up on the board.   However, if you took them with an aegis, you get some anti flyer support as well, and protect them, but also pretty much tells your opponent where they are going. 

I think fluff wise, the deathwing are either support for green wing/ravenwing attachments, when deathwing are in full force, they are often supported only by deathwing elements, or the ravenwing that probably scouted ahead.   So fluff wise, i would think dreads or land raiders are best choices, but ravenwing speeders work great fluff wise as scouts who are staying to help support the Deathwing.   The predators are a green wing element and often times they wouldn't be supporting the deathwing.  This is just a fluff perspective.

I say, go with what you have model wise for now, play around, see what works best, and if you have to, proxy some units and see how they do for your army.

missile devs dont cut it? what about the lascannon missile launcher dread? and combi preds or do i have to go with triple las preds?

you said 2las devs and 2plasma cannon devs in a 10 man dev squad? and a plasma cannon missile launcher dread, i like the sound of that last one...

I find the missile launcher to be a little lackluster. I give launchers to my tac squads instead. I want the devs to rain real heavy firepower and evaporate what they hit, not praying.

Yeah I always take my devs maxed out, I combat squad them you see (hence the different weapon loadouts) and I need the extra wounds.

The plasma missile dread is a highly underestimated and underused platform. Not only it packs a punch, it will utterly devastate MEQ,TEQ AND HORDES! On the move no less. Use the 24-0 rule.

Whats not to like tongue.png If only it could become ironclad too sad.png. You don't want to face a duo of those with a PFG techmarine trust me!

it is a goodfiring platform... i might actually get 1-2 into a list possibly even a 3 with a tl-lc or asscan... for a bit more punch... just need to find me some dread missile launchers... where? templates templates templates...

however i recon im going i ALWAYS be outnumbered... oh well who likes fighting an already won battle...

oh just another thing im not really worried about fluff not fitting in with this army, so tanks, dreads and termies can happen... 

Missile launchers as anti-AV14? Don't make me laugh! calculate how many krak missile shots it takes to glance a land raider to death. The best option for ranged antitank fire support is a ten man devastator squad with four lascannons led by a prescience libby with a power field generator. Insanely tough, doesn't miss many shots, and (c'mon, four godhammers?) scary as hell to a tank...even a land raider.

By the way, if you were specifically and exclusively asking about long range antitank shooting, not shooting in general, the thread title is a bit of a miss...especially since deathwing armies tend to need more help with horde control than with antitank. See, unless the tank in question mounts lascannons or a demolisher cannon, it's harmless msn-wink.gif

its as read in the title, fire support for deathwing... so how about a 10man dev squad with a libby with pfg, with 2 plasma cannon, missile launcher venerable dreads supported by a pfg techmarine...  

sound good?

Missile launchers as anti-AV14? Don't make me laugh! calculate how many krak missile shots it takes to glance a land raider to death. The best option for ranged antitank fire support is a ten man devastator squad with four lascannons led by a prescience libby with a power field generator. Insanely tough, doesn't miss many shots, and (c'mon, four godhammers?) scary as hell to a tank...even a land raider.

By the way, if you were specifically and exclusively asking about long range antitank shooting, not shooting in general, the thread title is a bit of a miss...especially since deathwing armies tend to need more help with horde control than with antitank. See, unless the tank in question mounts lascannons or a demolisher cannon, it's harmless msn-wink.gif

Since when fire support for deathwing translates to anti-Av14? There are other threats out there surely?There is only on option for deathwing to deal with AV14, TH/SS with chainsfists.

But that is outside the context of this thread.

I agree though that the las cannon is the best anti-tank option, Meltas are glorified.

Archived