Starting New Marines - Yet Again

Vivster

Dear Brothers,

I have decided to return to Space Marines yet again since I just cannot get away from them... anywhere...

So to start afresh I have come up with three colour schemes and will require your help to decide which one I shall paint my army with,

after this thread will turn into a WIP thread for that chapter/

So with no further ado...

The three chapters (no names as of yet)

sm.php?b62c=@hdlPH_hg0Ul.hLL9J____@@@hKqBv@.@@i8khii8khi@_@@@@@@@@@_iakk7_iakk7@@@@@@@@@@hnbw6hnbw6@@@@@@_@@____.hhohO&

sm.php?b62c=@hMJwP_hg0vu.i8khi_______hdWxI@hLL9J@@..@@@@@@@@@@@hYbiB_hYbiB_@@@@.@@@@.hnbw6hnbw6@@@___@@@____hLL9JhdNIm&

sm.php?b62c=@i3iQG_hho5n.hLL9J____@@@hzXSe@.@@iakk7iakk7@@@@@@@@@@@@_@_@@@@@@@@@@hnbw6hnbw6@@@@@@@@@____.hgPVa&

Now I want you guys to choose which one - leave a comment below and provide any C&C about any of them as you feel free...

Thank you

One and three both look good to me - orange marines can look really striking when done well, but can be tricky.  Second one just looks a bit too close to Flesh Tearers with different coloured hands for me.  

The first one. Not many turquoise marines out there. They will look more original. However, you may try to replace the white on the shoulderpads with orange. I think it may look better and will combine options 1 & 3 :)

Three different color based schemes?

Well all of them can look striking, I believe - it all depends on your painting skills. I can see armor painted aqua blue, from black to teal; and I can also imagine brown to sun-orange armor. But I'd personally prefer the orange one - just because it's easier.

And as it was mentioned earlier, 2nd scheme is too much Flesh Tearers alike.

Hmmm interesting

I would not call myself the best oainter but i would not call myself bad either. The problem i have with orange is that it is very easy to get it wrong. My friend asked me once to paint him a knights of gryphonne marine and i do have to say orange on a black primer with the new paints are very time consuming and the end result is well... Mediocre.

I dont want to be messing up a very expensive land raider by makin it looking like someone spilt fanta or something on top of a white primed tank. Also i need to try and get that perfect shade of orange as per the pic above - not too bright.

I see what people mean by the second one being a lot like flesh tearers and so i might not keep that in the running but we have to see...

I too am edging between the 1st and 3rd one now contrary to my beliefs...

I can only advice you: choose the scheme you prefer yourself more. When you paint something you like, the result is better then painting dull. It's your mehrines, after all :)

I'd say third. you can use a brown base over black to darken your orange but still make it pop and wont need as many coats to cover the brown.

Very good advice from HellChyld. I personally prefer the first one, but number three could be interesting :tu:

If you go for the orange, I strongly suggest a white or even gray basecoat, not black.  You'll get a lot more vibrant color, and you can do a lot for depth with washes and glazes.  It's generally easier going from light to dark colors than it is to build up from dark to bright colors.

Take a look at the Phoenix Knights blog in this subforum. It's yellow rather than orange, but it shows the bright, vibrant color you will get from white which you are never going to get from a black basecoat.

Archived