How to keep your bikes alive.

Boniface

Any ideas how to keep your bikes alive?

I had a partial game against IG (he had to leave) where I lost three squads of bikes to Leman Russ in the first turn (I had to go 2nd).

Needless to say I had very little firepower left and almost nothing scoring.

Any ideas?

Are you fielding a full Ravenwing army? If yes, outfalnk as may units as you can and turbo boost the rest, carefully. If not, either outflank all of your biker units as an offensive flank, or keep them behind the ranks of the rest of your army, ready to lash out only when assault range appears possible. If your Greenwing side of the list is not trying to get into close combat with the Imperial Guard, then you're doing something wrong. Points for points, they will usually out shoot you. In addition, the law of large numbers means the average happens more often that not!

You cannot scout turbo-boost. The Scout "move" is now not a move, it is a re-deploy. So the bikes don't even get a jink save if you scout and go second. This means if you scout forward expecting to go first, and then your opponent seizes the initiative, it can really ruin your day.

If you know you're going second, then the above advice is all good. Don't give your opponent anything to shoot at on the first turn. If you have an RW command squad that you really want to preserve, you might consider a techmarine on a bike with a powerfield generator that can hang near them until you decide to assault with them. Speaking of command squads, if you aren't already using one for something specific (like Standard of Devastation), you could consider trying a Standard of Fortitude build to help give some of your bikes added Feel-no-Pain resilience.

For most purposes, bikes are just big infantry. I'm pretty sure they displace. But the displacer field just protects the equipped model. That's ok for a guy tanking up front, but maybe not that effective if you've got pie plates coming from multiple locations.

I am running Ravenwing and keep wondering if I have too much anti-tank.  That said, if you have MMAB then outflank and get first shot.  I was just considering adding a melta, melta land speeder as well.  If you have those, then hide what you can and be patient.  Hopefully the ABs and Landspeeders are killing 2-3x there points and then you can move and shoot while the enemy either came to you or is stuck foot slogging.  Patience can be a weapon as well.

Best of Luck

The best places to mitigate this is in list design and deployment. If you commonly face armies like mechanized IG or similar gunline type armies build to have a chance at answering them. If all you have is anti infantry against mech or 24" weapons against 48" its not going to be easy to find a good answer.

Once the game starts use deployment to counter by limiting range and LoS, as well as combat squading.

Build in long ranged elements that can threaten those gunlines and draw heat off your bikes.

Take more bikes. Redundancy fixes most problems and If you make it to his lines you will cause problems.

Honestly Ive become less and less a fan of outflanking unless you must and you can also spam disposable units to ensure you get some where you need them or your facing a game ending strike as it seems you did.

Anymore I usually only outflank for longboard deployment as standard. Otherwise I look at it the same way I look at going to ground with a unit. Not saying never do it, but rather build for the option then evaluate the benefit of it.

For example, if you are facing a mechanized army that will shred you in the open with no recourse and you have terrain to hide your scoring units then by all means outflank your hunters and hide the rest until you get the chance to coordinate your attack.

Place objectives where your bikes can reach them easier than his immobile shooters can and preferably out of LoS.

Also sometimes they just have your number. If no other option looks appealing make as many hard targets as you can and scout straight at them saying "you only got one turn sucka!"

Archived