Who should man my Aegis?

CheeseWhiz

Hey everybody, new to the forum Vanilla player here with about two years experience. I just started playing around with my newly painted Aegis defense line and was looking for some input on how others run it. I've seen the Telion and sniper scouts is common and its what I use consistently against my winged hive tyrant or daemon prince obsessed nid and chaos players locally but I was thinking of running the gun line with a devastator squad instead. That would give my dev sgt. something to do while his boys plink their missiles downrange next to him. Any thoughts from someone who has run this set up?

Using the devastator sergeant is a good idea, though you will not be using his signum on another model in his squad if he's manning the gun.

If you have vehicles that stay behind the ADL then a Master of the Forge may be useful. BS 5 for firing the gun, with the ability to repair vehicles if the gun is not needed or is destroyed. Bolstering a ruin is also a bonus for an army's firebase. Put him in with a devastator squad for protection, operate the gun, and let the sergeant use the signum on one of the squad.

If you use devastator squad, firstly i should recommend you not to use them. imo they are overpriced. I hope the new codex will change that. Telion and scouts(sniper rifle) is perfect for manning the aegis. They will have 2+ cover save and with BS 5 Thelion will make nearly all shots count with twin linked. Scaouts also can do damage with their rending sniper rifles to both MCs and armours.

Cost efficent is what i say to that unit. You can also switch Telion with a regular sergeant. It will serve you well too.

Nothing wrong with a well built Dev squad. Just don't give them anything but missiles. But that's a debate for another time.

With the quad gun, don't worry about who is manning it. 4 shots, twin-linked with BS4 will net you 3-4 hits most of the time.

If using the lascannon, then you want Telion or the Dev squad Sergeant, as with their higher BS you are more likely to hit.

Thanks for the responses guys, Muctar that idea about using a MotF seems like  good one and could prove more useful than a conversion beamer. I usually have scouts and a squad of missle devs in every list I run so I suppose my best option is to switch it up depending on the opponent, scouts for hordes and infantry and devs for light armor.

Telion is BS6 ;) I would run with a 6 man dev squad on the quad, you can use the signum to give the quad gunning marine BS5! Otherwise I would run telion on the Lascannon. 

My thoughts, ZP

The problem with using a dev sergeant to give another model BS5 means that he's not shooting, plus you're usually losing the heavy weapons fire from the squad member who's firing the emplacement instead. Of course if you have more than 5 marines in a devastator squad with 4 heavy's it will work. The problem we all run into at that stage is points cost.

While it does help at times to have a BS5 on a quad gun I don't find it necessary. Also if your running into MC's I find that concentrating your firepower is actually counter productive...your beating yourself at that point.

Spreading your firing units out so they have overlapping fields of fire so they can support each other but force melee oriented units like a Hive Tyrant or Blood Thirster to choose one or the other. You don't want them to be able to take out one unit and take out the lion share of your gun lines fire power. This way if you lose one unit to an MC bum rush the rest of your firing line is still going this is important cause MC's come in pairs (at least).

So why use the scouts or a devastator squad to man the Aegis at all? If you have a combat teamed tactical squad they would be great to man the quad gun. The heavy weapon fires and the quad gun is fired by a regular marine. Just doing some quick Math hammer off the top of my head with a regular BS4 Marine firing a twin linked Quad gun your getting over 3.5 hits out of 4 shouts per attempt. Those are not bad odds at all.

Another idea i have been personally messing with. Using a Shooty terminators to hold my rear line. So letting a shooty terminator fire it while another is plunking away with a cyclone missile launcher. Then if my opponent rushes my gun line they have to deal with 10 power fist attacks or try and shoot down a squad thats 2+5+ with a 4+ cover. Great fire soaker.

You're gonna be combat squadding your tacticals anyway, so just take one missile launcher combat squad and put them around the gun. That's how I do it and it's yet to let me down.

Don't waste your points on overpriced units like devastators, techmarines, etc. 

I'd be nervous about leaving just five guys on a quad gun.  That's not a lot of bodies, so they can die pretty fast.  One bad round of dice rolls, either in armor saves or leadership (because it's not hard to force a morale check on a five model unit) and there goes your gunners.  I'd prefer using Devs that are 8+ strong; a full ten Tacticals would be even better since then they can also hold any nearby objectives.

Been using 5 guys on quad since day one. Never had any problems with it. If opponent wants to get rid of quad-gun, they'll shoot the gun emplacement itself, anyway (it's considered a separate unit for the purposes of being shot at/assaulted) so it doesn't matter how many dudes are manning it. Conversely, if your opponent can afford to shoot/assault your quad gunner combat squad, you're probably losing already. 

Having devastators or telion on quad-gun is overall a terrible idea because the unit has to fire at the same target the quad-gun does (since the quad-gun follows all the regular rules for shooting for the unit it's used by), so if you're actually using a quad-gun to shoot at a flier you're very likely to waste your expensive dev squad/sniper shooting since they'll be hitting on 6s. 

Been using 5 guys on quad since day one. Never had any problems with it. If opponent wants to get rid of quad-gun, they'll shoot the gun emplacement itself, anyway (it's considered a separate unit for the purposes of being shot at/assaulted) so it doesn't matter how many dudes are manning it. Conversely, if your opponent can afford to shoot/assault your quad gunner combat squad, you're probably losing already. 

Having devastators or telion on quad-gun is overall a terrible idea because the unit has to fire at the same target the quad-gun does (since the quad-gun follows all the regular rules for shooting for the unit it's used by), so if you're actually using a quad-gun to shoot at a flier you're very likely to waste your expensive dev squad/sniper shooting since they'll be hitting on 6s. 

Besides, if there's aerial targets for the quad gun/Icarus to shoot at in the first place, then you don't have to worry about firing the gun in the shooting phase because you should have shot it on Interceptor mode anyway.

Assuming it came on in range ...

I have never seen a Flyer that didn't.  48" range plus 12" of deployment zone covers a mean swathe of the board.  Plus, the majority of flyers are ones that want to get close: Drakes want to for Vector Striking and Baleflaming, Storm Ravens for dumping assault units in assault range, Valks for dumping special weapons inside their effective ranges (usually 12"), Scythes for pumping tesla shots into bunched up units still deploying out of the DZ as well as dumping off troops inside rapid fire range.

Assuming it came on in range ...

That, and assuming it's not a flying MC who deployed alongside the rest of the army, or that the flier has survived the initial interceptor shooting. 

The first part is an excellent point, mitigated in a small way by access to Divination Libbies through allies.  The second part, however, doesn't apply because -- as was my point in my previous post -- you can't fire an Interceptor weapon in the shooting phase that follows a turn in which it Intercepts.  So an enemy flyer that survives your initial Intercept can't be fired at your quad gun or Icarus anyway.

You can't fire it in the phase that follows the interceptor shooting, but you can fire it in the following phases. So, provided the opponent's fliers arrived on turn 2, you'll still want to be firing in turns 3, 4, 5, and so on. With good target saturation, a quad-gun surviving for multiple turns isn't an unrealistic prospect at all. 

Divination makes the hit-on-6 a little less terrible, sure, but I still think it's way more cost efficient to just use those overpriced devs with prescience against something they can actually reliably hit. 

I was thinking of running a combat squad Tactical squad armed with a lascannon behind the Aegis with a Quad-Gun.  I figured the lascannon's range and power would sync up with the quad-gun.  Is that alright or stupid?

I was thinking of running a combat squad Tactical squad armed with a lascannon behind the Aegis with a Quad-Gun.  I figured the lascannon's range and power would sync up with the quad-gun.  Is that alright or stupid?

That's not a bad idea at all. Lascannon's are relatively cheap when added to a tactical squad. Both weapons are 48" and you have a nice combination of a glancing weapon and a hard punch weapon.

Not a bad idea, but that lascannon will still miss most of the time when used against fliers. Personally, I'd just take a free missile launcher and call it a day.

Archived