Librarian in Power Armor

corlinjewell

Hey guys,

I tried to check the search bar for this, but had trouble finding a thread that I wanted.  My question is: Does a Librarian need TDA to be really effective, or can he run with power armor.  If so, what is a good loadout  (thinking more wargear than powers)?  If you know of a thread, feel free to just redirect me instead of typing out old information.

I was thinking of custom building one instead of using the GW ones (due to Finecast and weird loadouts/poses)

It really depends on what you want you're libby to do! That and what Codex you use.

If you want him to be a backfield buffer then power armour works, if you want him to be in the thick of the fighting I usually opt for TDA + Storm Shield just to make him last. 2 wounds disappear really quickly!

If you have access to divination you keep him plain and leave him in the back to buff your heavy weapon units, if you want to use something more offensive slap him with a unit and give him tda (I usually have mine deep strike with tactical terminators or ride a pod with sternguard).

Hope that helps,

Purge the Weak!

Raven

Also bear in mind that the kind of weapon you pick for him depends largely on what powers you're taking, too.  A TDA+SS Libby can get away with a force axe since he can suffer the Unwieldy penalty without getting gimped by it, but I'd only take a force sword if you're going with Biomancy -- Iron Arm and Warp Speed (and to a lesser extent, Endurance) will both force-multiply your AP3 weapon and make up for the lack of an inherent strength buff.  If you're taking anything else, I'd suggest the force stave.  It gives him multi-role capacity if you do need to roll him into close combat against something -- S6 is nothing to sneeze at, and AP4 is sufficient against every xenos army GW makes.

I don't treat my librarian in power armor as an outright CC character, more like a super sergeant with a better power weapon and the avenger power instead of a combi-weapon. If I put mine in TDA or on a bike, then it would most likely be to use Vortex of doom on the move. Even so, I wouldn't use him the same way one would use a daemon prince or even a chapter master. Probably in a 8x man squad of sternguard in a rhino, or in a regular land raider with something cheap like a tac. squad or scouts.

I run a TDA/SS/Power Axe Librarian as my main HQ. I have also used a PA Librarian in lower points games.

As mentioned before, use power armor if you plan on your Librarian sitting in the back and supporting the rest of your force. If you have any aspirations of frontline duty then TDA is kind of a must. More-so if your Librarian is your warlord. It is really hard to justify not giving your Librarian at least base level TDA if he is your warlord and he will be anywhere near the frontline.

For a paltry 40pts you can get TDA and a Storm Shield. A Librarian has no invuln save, so getting the invuln of 5+ from TDA or 3+ from the Storm Shield is an incredible value and a great idea, my Librarian has survived many would-be-lethal wounds due to his 3+ invuln.

As for the modelling, I absolutely love to kitbash my own models. I got my hands on a single SS/TH Terminator and kitbashed him into my Librarian. I shaved the thunder hammer to make a double sided axe, and used a spare pauldron (from a tactical type marine) to carve into the psychic hood. I used the helmeted TDA helmet because I think it is stupid for a Marine to go helmetless just to prove his dick is big (everyone in my force keeps their helmet on). It's still a work in progress but I'll eventually add the cables from the hood to the armor to finish out the psychic hood. Even in it's unfinished state, I've gotten several compliments from other players on my unique TDA Librarian.

PA Libby is still good. Cheap, can fit into pretty  much any transport (which is great for Null Zone), and not at all bad. TDA with axe and SS may have the upper hand at the moment thanks to challenge mechanics, but you just have to play smart with your PA Libby.

I ran libbies a lot lately and I find their 2nd biggest advantage (after nullzone) is that they're cheap compared to other vanilla HQs. So my suggestion to you is to always try and make do with the barebones libby, only give him terminator armor (and even storm shield) if you got excess points, and then only if you got a transport that can carry terminator armor (so, LR or stormraven). 

Archived