Drop Dreads

BAJake

I just got back into 40k again (returning from a year long break while it was still 5th ed). EDIT- From the looks of my signature I might've been gone a bit longer

My question is: I've looked through the FAQs and new rulebook for something that might hinder my favorite tactic. I used to run a Furioso in a DP with Frag Cannon / Meltagun / Magna-Grapple to put in a first turn threat that can either almost always hinder or destroy a tank, OR wipe out most of (if not the whole unit) a fat death star/ long range unit in the backfield.

I was wondering if there is anything I overlooked or that tactic hasn't changed much. I used to employ it to pretty good effect B/C you can typically do a badass amount of damage first turn and then the next player turn my opponents usualy aimed more than half their army on that single unit leaving me free to charge up the board...And if they didn't.. Well, now you have a Furioso in the enemie's deployment zone first turn, which is always awesome =]

Thoughts?

Personally, I like to trade the meltagun for a heavy flamer, but either way my opinion is that this is the best (maybe the only legitimately GOOD) option in the Blood Angels codex. The only reason I only run one is that I need to buy a couple more drop pods first.

I never used the grapple until the FAQ. I'd been tempted, but the grapple extends the kill zone of the templates by 4", so it's almost always worth the points.

Sorry mate but could you explain this to me? I just looked over the FAQ for the BA codex and there's nothing I can spot that details changes to the magna-grapple...

I just got back into 40k again (returning from a year long break while it was still 5th ed). EDIT- From the looks of my signature I might've been gone a bit longer

My question is: I've looked through the FAQs and new rulebook for something that might hinder my favorite tactic. I used to run a Furioso in a DP with Frag Cannon / Meltagun / Magna-Grapple to put in a first turn threat that can either almost always hinder or destroy a tank, OR wipe out most of (if not the whole unit) a fat death star/ long range unit in the backfield.

I was wondering if there is anything I overlooked or that tactic hasn't changed much. I used to employ it to pretty good effect B/C you can typically do a badass amount of damage first turn and then the next player turn my opponents usualy aimed more than half their army on that single unit leaving me free to charge up the board...And if they didn't.. Well, now you have a Furioso in the enemie's deployment zone first turn, which is always awesome =]

Thoughts?

If anything i find this has gotten better.

I have found that with the advent of 6th, the meta has changed to a degree where plasma is more prevalent than melta.  There's been a shift from heavy mech forces, to lots of troops. 

The Magfrag pod is one of my new favourite units in the codex. With first blood now, its even better.

I never used the grapple until the FAQ. I'd been tempted, but the grapple extends the kill zone of the templates by 4", so it's almost always worth the points.

Not sure about this either. You definitely wouldnt be able to grapple, then template.

Thoughts?

If anything i find this has gotten better.

I have found that with the advent of 6th, the meta has changed to a degree where plasma is more prevalent than melta.  There's been a shift from heavy mech forces, to lots of troops. 

The Magfrag pod is one of my new favourite units in the codex. With first blood now, its even better.

For some strange reason my local meta remains melta-heavy, even more so than 5th :P

As for the grapple I think he means how the FAQ update stated that only targets within range could be removed as casualties. 

Per the BRB FAQ, any model within range of any gun in a unit can be removed as a casualty. So, when the grapple fires, models up to 12" away can be killed by the frag/flamer. Without the grapple, the effective kill zone is only 8".

Per the BRB FAQ, any model within range of any gun in a unit can be removed as a casualty. So, when the grapple fires, models up to 12" away can be killed by the frag/flamer. Without the grapple, the effective kill zone is only 8".

But isn't this moot because the meltagun in the powerfist has a range of 12"?

Archived