Successor Chapter: The Confessors

Eulfein

Greetings Brothers! 

Praise be to the Emperor and the Lion!

Below is the paint scheme and some fleshed out ideas for my DA successor chapter "The Confessors". Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The chapter's colors are based on the Dominican order of monks from Catholicism.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=050505&bpj=050505&bp=050505&bpc=050505&hdt=EBE8BE&hdm=EBE8BE&hdl=EBE8BE&ey=14E326&er=EBE8BE&pi=5E5B5B&nk=050505&ch=050505&eg=EBE8BE&sk=EBE8BE&abs=EBE8BE&bt=EBE8BE&cod=EBE8BE&ull=EBE8BE&lk=EBE8BE&lll=EBE8BE&lft=EBE8BE&url=EBE8BE&rk=EBE8BE&lrl=EBE8BE&rft=EBE8BE&slt=050505&sli=050505&srt=050505&sri=050505&ula=EBE8BE&lel=EBE8BE&lla=EBE8BE&lw=EBE8BE&lh=EBE8BE&ura=EBE8BE&rel=EBE8BE&rla=EBE8BE&rw=EBE8BE&rh=EBE8BE&bg=969090&rb=454343&gr=595454&grid=TRUE&wg=true&hsk=true&robes=0D0D0C&ti=FFFFFF&rkg3=FFFFFF&blt=000000&/spacemarine.jpg

Confessor Tactical Marine

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm/bpe=050505&bpj=050505&bp=050505&bpc=050505&hdt=050505&hdm=050505&hdl=050505&ey=48F514&er=EBE8BE&pi=5E5B5B&nk=050505&ch=050505&eg=EBE8BE&sk=EBE8BE&abs=EBE8BE&bt=EBE8BE&cod=EBE8BE&ull=EBE8BE&lk=EBE8BE&lll=EBE8BE&lft=EBE8BE&url=EBE8BE&rk=EBE8BE&lrl=EBE8BE&rft=EBE8BE&slt=050505&sli=050505&srt=050505&sri=050505&ula=EBE8BE&lel=EBE8BE&lla=EBE8BE&lw=EBE8BE&lh=EBE8BE&ura=EBE8BE&rel=EBE8BE&rla=EBE8BE&rw=EBE8BE&rh=EBE8BE&bg=969090&rb=454343&gr=595454&grid=TRUE&wg=true&mk6=true&robes=080807&tabard=F5F1EB&rkg2=FFFFFF&cs=000000&pp=0A0A0A&/spacemarine.jpg

Herudim - Second Company

tsm.php?hdt=D9D9AB&hdm=D9D9AB&hdl=D9D9AB

Dominion - First Company

Founding Chapter:                           Dark Angels
Founding:                                         Unknown, first sighted in the 40th millenium
Chapter Master:                                Master Euldred
Homeworld:                                       None
Fortress-Monastery:                         Battle Barge "Tenebrous"
Colours:                                            Black and White
Specialty:                                          Plasma Weapons, Terminator Assault, Fast Attack
Strength:                                           rumored to be over 1000
Battle Cry:                                         "Confess your sins! Death will be swift!"

The Confessors stem from an unkown but fairly recent founding. However due to the unreliability of Imperial records and the natural secretive nature of the Chapter itself, this is open to debate. In demeanor and chapter organization it is obvious that the chapter is of Dark Angels heritage. Most of the chapter's activities and campaigns have centered around the Segmentum Obscurus primarily providing reinforcements to Imperial Forces throughout the area. Like other Unforgiven Chapters, the Confessors are devoted to The Hunt for the Fallen and share the secretive nature of their forebearers. The Chapter is exceedingly monastic in nature and are known for chanting hymns during battle. Unlike most Unforgiven chapters, the Confessors (like the Angels of Absolution) believe that their sins have been expunged by the Lion during the Climactic Battle of Caliban. However they bear the responsibility of Hunting the Fallen and wear black and white robes instead of pure white to symbolize the shame that stems from the Fall.

The Chapter holds an intense hatred for Chaos and is known to actively pursuit any campaign involving the forces of Chaos and any word concerning the location of The Fallen. 

Like the Dark Angels primogenitor chapter, the 1st and 2nd companies are organized into two distinct units. The Dominion whose function is similar to the Deathwing but armor bears the same colors as most of the chpater's battle brothers. The 2nd company is known as the Herudim, the exact number of both companies is kept secret....even from other Unforgiven Chapters. 

Though this would merit accusations of "Legion Building" by the Administratum, the Chapter's Inner Circle members uses their fleet based nature to mask the true number of the Dominion and Herudrim. Rumor has it among the Unforgiven that the number of The Confessor's 1st and 2nd Companies number over 300 each. This has yet to be confirmed. 

The Confessors, to this day shares close ties to their primogenitor chapter. Occasionally conducting joint operations though none of which is documented in Imperial records. Currently, the chapter's fleet strength may rival that of the Black Templar's own. Although this has yet to be confirmed due to the Confessor fleet being constantly on the move. 
Edited by Eulfein

Nice background and look. Like the Dominion and Herudim company names. You need a chapter symbol – I suggest your Confessors shouldn't have one – it'll add to their air of mystery :wink: . Or follow the Domincan Order theme and use their simple 8-pointed star in white as seen on their motif http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Order.

Cheers

I

Thanks Isiah! the chapter symbol problem was giving me a headache! That eight-pointed star suggestion is awesome and solves my problem! Thanks brother!

glad you guys like the "Dominion" and "Herudim" names..... I researched about angelic choirs and came up with these two. "Herudim" is a play on Cherubim fyi! Really excited to start painting soon!

Edited by Eulfein

I would avoid the eight-pointed star as it is the symbol of Chaos. Instead maybe the 4 armed cross from that same link. That bicolored, four armed cross would work pretty good with your armor colors.

And? What's wrong with a bit of confusion :wink.: ? Besides, the star suggested looks nothing like the Chaos thingy.

Edited by Isiah

oh damn.....i forgot that chaos uses an eight pointed star. while I see Isiah's point that it could be a great plot point, I would like to avoid being associated with Chaos since I indicated that the chapter particularly HATES chaos. Probably gonna go with the bi-colored cross instead.

I think if you paint it as white/black triangles it'll be fine. Chaos is an 8-point star, yes, but a very specific one, usually stretching through a ring with arrowed points.

Except that the black portions of the counter-posed cross will die on the black shoulder pad background.  So, go with an all white cross.  Also, the color scheme should take into account heraldic rules in all cases, so don't use yellow eye lenses on white/tan.  Go with red or green (you want the contrast, as it will look good).  I would also leave the Terminators in all bone white (excepting the shoulder pads) instead of giving them the black chest/back armor. That way, if you do use Deathwing miniatures for them, your sergeants with black robes/tabards will not have them die against another black background on the torso.  I would also make the weapon casings uniform in color, so black chainsword, black bolters, etc.  Gold would be a good metal accent color for armor and weapon decorations/awards.  Go with Boltgun Metal on basic weapon and armor hardware areas though.

Edited by shabbadoo

@Shabbadoo: Thanks brother for the feedback, I've considered your suggestions regarding changing the colour of the Terminator's chest plate. I must admit you do have a point. As well as your suggestion in terms of eye color. probably gonna go with green. Pretty soon I'll be updating the fluff of the chapter to further flesh out their background.

I have edited the images to reflect Shabbadoo's suggestions....your right my brother....it looks better. Those green eyes really pop!

Edited by Eulfein

Ooh, I like those green eyes. I was okay with the black Termie torso but this works too.

re:shab: good point about the background, hadn't thought about that. I actually think it'd look cool with only half the triangles too, just more Chaos-y. You could always go classic Fists style and have a background shape + color field behind the compass as part of your logo though.

probably gonna go with a stylized tapered-bladed cross. gonna post the design soon. updated the fluff a bit. working on fleshing out the history of Master Euldred and the other named characters.

• 2 weeks later...