Rust colors?

Hello. This is how I do my rusted metal.

Black

Leadbelcher

Devlan Med wash

Gryphonne Sepia wash

Scorched brown wash

Highlights with leadbelcher

That's the metal base. This leaves a dull, heavy looking dark iron finish.

Then for the actual rust effect (just in localised/nucleated areas) :

Stipple scorched brown

Stipple scorched brown/orange

Stipple orange

Gently dab Tamya weathering powder dark rust with a make up brush

As above but with Tamya light rust

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy246/VerbalUnderbelly/New%20Chaos%20Lord/PICT0003_zps1754b8d7.jpg

use real rust - get some metal wire wool, leave in a pot of hot water with a pinch of salt.  Few days later it should have all rusted.  use a cotton bud to rub dry rust dust onto models, water to fix and streak then some varnish to seal.  BOSH!

Just remember that rust comes in many different forms - always worth investigating and going with an effect that you think suits the look you are going for.

I personally use Macharius Solar Orange (now Jokaero) and work from there - I'm quite happy with a few washes (normally Ogryn Flesh or Baal red), followed by Devlan Mud and Badab Black to finish, with highlights thrown in as appropriate.

I have found that there are two methods I am liking. The first and most happy one for me is to put down a full coat of dryad bark brown on the area I want rusted then either stipple troll slayer orange or maybe a heavier dry brush depending on the area. Then a heavy wash or two of Athonian camoshade. Gives a good orangish brown colored rust effect. The other method is to put down the brown coat then stipple the orange and wild rider red and put a few spots of iornbreaker color in. Then do the wash and add some necron compound(it's on of the dry compounds) over the spots you put the iron breaker down.

I'll post picks of both shortly.

My method is quite simple because I'm lazy, it doesn't require any washing and gives an alright result I think.

- Scorched Brown Base

- Stipple Blazing Orange (or equivalent)

- Randomly apply blobs of Boltgun Metal where the metal would be fresher, and also use it to apply a light drybrush more generally.

That's it really. It's the treatment given to the trim here: http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i211/ashbeyj/All%20Shall%20Rot/100_2953_zps115913ea.jpg

Archived