Soooo....Tau?

march10k

I play Tau, but I'm overseas for a year with that army in storage, so I'm looking at C:Tau from the DA perspective, they being the one army that "deployed" to Japan with me.

Given the awesomesauce that was in C:CSM and C:DA, I'm breathing a sigh of relief as a DA player.  There's not much in the rumors (that tend to be accurate right before the codex drops) that scares me.

They get a wraithlord-like monat suit.  It has T6, 2+/5++, and 4 wounds.  Nothing our terminators can't silence.  A squad of tactical terminators should be able to take one down on the charge.

Broadsides got nerfed.  The railguns are now S8....still scary to termies, but land raiders now laugh at them.  I assume that the railhead's railgun is still S10, but they get one per HS slot, so...manageable.

And...fliers.  The bomber is vaguely worrisome, it sounds like it drops plasma balls.  Could be worse than the drake if it's an AP2 template dropping flier!

Not much else, so far...but, compared to us and the traitors, it really sounds like they're getting the shaft!  Almost as bad as the sisters did (which I also play used to play)!

Well, you never know. I think Tau may be getting their own variation of the Standard of Devastation the form of the Cadre Fireblade.

The Fireblade is one of the units I am actually most excited about. Based on the rumors, it seems like he can make a 12 man FW unit put out 24 S5 shots at 30" or 36 S5 shots at 15" (for Rapid Fire).

Additionally, it appears that he has BS5 and a Markerlight, meaning he is very likely to get a ML hit, thereby improving those FW to BS4.

Against a standard MEQ unit (i.e. Greenwing), 12 FW with a Fireblade at 12" could cause (36 shots)*(2/3 chance to Hit, assuming Markerlight hits)*(2/3 chance to wound)*(1/3 chance for failed armor save)= 5-6 unsaved wounds... that's half of a Marine Squad, or an entire Combat Squad, down in one volley.

Against a standard TEQ unit (i.e. Deathwing), 12 FW with a Fireblade at 12" could cause (36 shots)*(2/3 chance to Hit, assuming Markerlight hits)*(2/3 chance to wound)*(1/6 chance for failed armor save)= 2-3 unsaved wounds... that's almost 1/3 of a max size 10 man DW squad and upwards of 100+ points killed in a single volley from a single FW Squad.

Finally, even vehicles are threatened by this combo. Against Rhino/Razorback armor, FWs +Cadre Fireblade can put out 24 shots at 30" (i.e. so in range on turn 1).... on average, with BS4 from Markerlight, that's 16 hits and 2-3 glances, meaning the squad has a very realistic chance of killing the Razorback/Rhino by itself in one volley.

Now, I don't think the sky is falling or that Tau will be the next Imperial Guard or GKs in terms of power codexes, but I do think all Marine players (DA included) will have to sit up and pay attention to these changes, as Tau will have the ability (I suspect) to break some of the current paradigms in the game.

The only Xeno discussion allowed here is how to kill them, so if they are getting the short end of the stick is no concern for us... only how to make their end of teh stick shorter. So lets keep this strictly as how annihilate their strong points and kick their grey butts.

im getting some and are gonna use the as allies for my DA just because they look really coool... ive always wanted transformerish big gun wielding suits of armour...

Points finger at tomsev: HERETIC CLEANSE HIM! AND THE OP TOO!

The only Xeno discussion allowed here is how to kill them, so if they are getting the short end of the stick is no concern for us... only how to make their end of teh stick shorter. So lets keep this strictly as how annihilate their strong points and kick their grey butts.

Blue hides brother, they are blue. And the best way to do it is and will always be the same: With bolter and faith...Translating to Plasma weapons and terminator armor.

EDIT: I have to hand it to them though, the little fish are learning...After the imperial fleet handed their asses onto them in the Damocles crusade they seem to have adopted the imperial credo: Bigger is better. 

im getting some and are gonna use the as allies for my DA just because they look really coool... ive always wanted transformerish big gun wielding suits of armour...

Its a Gundam!

-insert faux-panicing sounds here while donning TDA-

And...fliers. The bomber is vaguely worrisome, it sounds like it drops plasma balls. Could be worse than the drake if it's an AP2 template dropping flier!

Debatable.

The Tau's plasma weapons are generally of lower S/AP than our own.

Eldar plasma grenades are only S4/AP4.

So its quite possible that they're AP3-4 and S5-6.

And speaking of flyers, how possible would it be for the Nephilim to take one out before it causes too much harm?

Well, you never know. I think Tau may be getting their own variation of the Standard of Devastation the form of the Cadre Fireblade.

Imo, its kinda lame to make rip-offs like that.

Anyhow, since its a single model, what would be the odds of removing it before it can really do its thing?

as Tau will have the ability (I suspect) to break some of the current paradigms in the game.

At least it keeps things fresh.

Points finger at tomsev: HERETIC CLEANSE HIM! AND THE OP TOO!

Suffer not the Alien to live.

Purge the alien, the mutant, the heretic.

Also, fluff-wise, the DA do not ally with alies and abhumans (ratlings/ogryns). (And Inquisition.)

The Fireblade is one of the units I am actually most excited about. Based on the rumors, it seems like he can make a 12 man FW unit put out 24 S5 shots at 30" or 36 S5 shots at 15" (for Rapid Fire).

Additionally, it appears that he has BS5 and a Markerlight, meaning he is very likely to get a ML hit, thereby improving those FW to BS4.

A markerlight, yes...but nothing I've seen indicates that it's a networked markerlight.  So he won't be improving his own squad's BS.  In fact, I thought I read that he had the wargear that lets him shoot at a different target than the squad.    Anyway, fire warriors wil continue to be a non-threat.  For 65 points, you can have a whirlwind.  Problem solved.  If by some crazy chance this fireblade character becomes a threat, a squad of sniper scouts will soon sort that out for us.

Nope, I don't think this new tau book is much of a threat.  In fact, it seems, pending codex drop, to be less of one, since only the railheads retain S10, and it's not twinlinked.  And, honestly, broadsides weren't the scariest thing in C:TE, they were the only scary thing.

Took a look at the new Tau minis.....and from a DA perspective....I didnt really see anything that would worry me too much. Yes they get a weird lovechild of a transformer and a gundam (Riptide) and the weirdest looking flyer I've ever seen.

It only makes me do one thing.........destroy them. Rip them apart. The Sons of the Lion shall prevail.

"A markerlight, yes...but nothing I've seen indicates that it's a networked markerlight. So he won't be improving his own squad's BS. In fact, I thought I read that he had the wargear that lets him shoot at a different target than the squad. Anyway, fire warriors wil continue to be a non-threat. For 65 points, you can have a whirlwind. Problem solved. If by some crazy chance this fireblade character becomes a threat, a squad of sniper scouts will soon sort that out for us." --march10k

So, yes WWs can put the hurt on FWs, but if they are in cover (I.e. an ADL) they will either get a 4+ cover save or, if you use the Catelland Missiles, a 4+ armor save... Either way, they are saving half the wounds against them.

I also don't think the Cadre Fireblade will be so easy to get rid of with Snipers as you suggest. Rumors put him with three wounds and he is an IC, so he can use LoS! On a 2+ roll, meaning Precision Shots can be passed on to normal FWs around him.

"A markerlight, yes...but nothing I've seen indicates that it's a networked markerlight. So he won't be improving his own squad's BS. In fact, I thought I read that he had the wargear that lets him shoot at a different target than the squad. Anyway, fire warriors wil continue to be a non-threat. For 65 points, you can have a whirlwind. Problem solved. If by some crazy chance this fireblade character becomes a threat, a squad of sniper scouts will soon sort that out for us." --march10k

So, yes WWs can put the hurt on FWs, but if they are in cover (I.e. an ADL) they will either get a 4+ cover save or, if you use the Catelland Missiles, a 4+ armor save... Either way, they are saving half the wounds against them.

I also don't think the Cadre Fireblade will be so easy to get rid of with Snipers as you suggest. Rumors put him with three wounds and he is an IC, so he can use LoS! On a 2+ roll, meaning Precision Shots can be passed on to normal FWs around him.

I don't have my rulesbook with me but if I remember correctly, if the center of the WW's blast is on the other side of the aegis, they don't get cover save since you check for cover from the center of the blast marker.

ok, tau will be improved, thats for certain, and they get some new units, but tau will always suffer from one thing, and that is close combat.   Kroot and the other xenos might help that, but I know many many tau players who don't take them.  Alot of tau are about the suits and the gun lines.  That being said, Ravenwing will shine against them.  Speed, high toughness to counter their basic shots, and the fact that many of their guns still are not piercing your armor save, plus we get jink against those that do.  I only say this after coming off a recent fight with sure, the old tau, but I am sure the tactics will still work, because they are tau.   The new stuff always is scary, but as you said, from the rumors, the new suit isn't so bad termies can crack it.   The flyer has me worried, because well its a tau flyer, that means, probably another armor 12 front, and scary weapon options that once again make our suppose dog fighter not really a dog fighter due to lack of high str weapons on our flyer.  If it drops a plasma bomb, that is not cool, but it wont be a str 7 nasty as tau plasma is actually str 6, and reliable.  

Only time will tell, guess I better start saving up to get those digital codex's.  The army I am worried about right now is demons, cause I here it is chock full of all sorts of cheese.  Like a legit list consisting of all 4 great demons, plus 2 demon princes, and still two squads of plague demons. CHEESY lol

Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds, and if he were here he'd consume the English Dark Angels with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his ass. 

C'mon, man.  Those aren't rumors...those are wet dreams. 

I am worrying tau able overwtaching attacking unit with-in 6" of the unit being attacked. Hopefully that is just named character upgrade. Marker light drones potentially remove cover saves. There goes jink and Dark shroud then. Riptide. Awesome model, I'll be using las cannons from my land raiders, Nephilim and plasma taking it out. Looks like against Tau I must invest bit drop pods and take Finally my Dreadnoughts with assault cannon and heavy flamers on game. I believe Target Saturation is best against TAU. Give them resilient shooting, using terrain as much you can and grap them by their blue throats and rip their xeno head off in the name of the Lion and the Emperor. (Meaning ravenwing turbo boosts and deliver assault termies while Deathwing shoota termies come on with deathwing assault and start making havock with stormbolters and assault cannons.

Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds, and if he were here he'd consume the English Dark Angels with fireballs from his eyes and bolts of lightning from his ass. 

Dont be so quick to discard them, I usually dont give a rats behind for rumours, but that one is not unbelievable. Ever faught one of their saswhatevers fully kited out? 3+, inv and 3 wounds...And he is a tau sergeant for the emperors shake....

Dont be so quick to discard them, I usually dont give a rats behind for rumours, but that one is not unbelievable. Ever faught one of their saswhatevers fully kited out? 3+, inv and 3 wounds...And he is a tau sergeant for the emperors shake....

Shas'el, going by the stats in the back of the BRB.

And I do believe that's a HQ entry.

He does come with 0-2 buddies, though (Shas'vre, 2 wounds).

So yeah, a lieutenant with two sergeants.

As for the flyer: FW's Barracuda flyer is only AV10 allround.

Ditto for the super-heavy Tiger Shark.

But yeah, who's to say that GW uses that as guideline?

*edit*

Also, the flyer doesn't get plasma, its pulse (GW website).

All the other tau pulse weapons are S5/AP5, so I doubt we'll see large deviations from that.

The Quad Ion Turret might be more of a threat given the Ion Cannon's statline (S7/AP3).

Aye, Cadre Fireblade killed fufty Marines...Fufty!! He parted through them like Moses in the red sea!

Lol really..... Tau ain't gonna do much up close. We got Termies, Bikes, and a decent gun line of our own. The Tau should not be underestimated but I don't think we should worry too much.

Aye, Cadre Fireblade killed fufty Marines...Fufty!! He parted through them like Moses in the red sea!

Lol really..... Tau ain't gonna do much up close. We got Termies, Bikes, and a decent gun line of our own. The Tau should not be underestimated but I don't think we should worry too much.

And we got drop pods that we can drop pod dreadnoughts with heavy flamers, twin-linked heavy flamers and assault cannons, all that make Tau gun line go: Poof

And we got drop pods that we can drop pod dreadnoughts with heavy flamers, twin-linked heavy flamers and assault cannons, all that make Tau gun line go: Poof

A Flash of light, searing pain and then POOF! nothing but a molten pile of smurf-slag!

seriously  though, the crisis suits look ok but the fluff of the Tau just doesnt do it for me. It all seems boring compared to the high drama and plot twists of the Imperium and the Unforgiven in general.

Well fluffwise, it seems that the silly little fish, wisen up due to having their asses handed to them so often (the damocles gulf crusade and the nids must have helped at that a bit) and got a bit more bitter and brooding. It appears that their new motton is accept the greater good or die.

Not that it was otherwise before, but it seems they stoped all pretence now.

Its one thing been tough and another playing tough though: http://www.1d4chan.org/images/f/f3/Tauassault.jpg

Well fluffwise, it seems that the silly little fish, wisen up due to having their asses handed to them so often (the damocles gulf crusade and the nids must have helped at that a bit) and got a bit more bitter and brooding. It appears that their new motton is accept the greater good or die.

Not that it was otherwise before, but it seems they stoped all pretence now.

Its one thing been tough and another playing tough though: http://www.1d4chan.org/images/f/f3/Tauassault.jpg

accept the greater good or die? riiiiiight..... I'm sure every Unforgiven Brother out there will give the little fishes a look of mixed amusement and ever so light sarcasm and exasperation. Before plugging them twice with Bolter shells. And maybe a kick or two for good measure.

Archived